Play a hand with Bizzy #2

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is a recent hand that I thought was interesting. I will be posting in the comments how the hand unfolds. The main post will be the pre-flop action.

Blinds are at 60-120

Action folds to UTG+2 who limps in with a stack of 15,900. Action folds around to me in the SB with KQo and 9,210 effective. I raise it up to 500, BB folds and limper calls. Pot is 1,120.

Flop comes :4c4: :10d4: :2d4:

What do you do next?

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
if one of this K or Q are diamonds, I can simple bet 300 and try to improve my hand in the turn, if not, why not check?, with 72BB I definitely will have a better hand and spot to show my poker skills

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Tough spot. The limper should call you wide here since this flop is not easy to hit and really does not hit you raising range. I would c-bet it if I have a diamond or 2 in my hand and check evaluate if he being into you.

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only a enormous double barrel bet can make the limper to drop his hand here and only if he is missed to catch flush chance.Much wiser decision in this case is to check and evaluate the limper play.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here is a recent hand that I thought was interesting. I will be posting in the comments how the hand unfolds. The main post will be the pre-flop action.

Blinds are at 60-120

Action folds to UTG+2 who limps in with a stack of 15,900. Action folds around to me in the SB with KQo and 9,210 effective. I raise it up to 500, BB folds and limper calls. Pot is 1,120.

What do you do next?

Thank U 4 Posting.

Things to think about in this spot.

1 Villain tendencies.

This V is a weak caller so we cannot expect this V to fold flop to 1 bet. We should have had that thought when we raised preflop.

Will V fold to 2 barrels? What range will V fold?
Does V even think about what our cards are?

Can we 3 barrel bluff? I mean have you the courage? If we know V is sticky but will fold one pair on the river that is.

What bet sizing would seem most likely in V's mind to be correct for us to have value bets?
On each street for the 3 barrel.

Can we get V to fold to pot plus size bets?

So we lead flop 40% turn 7 spades we bet 2.5x pot will V think we are protecting JJ A10 vs the flush draw and fold a 4 or 2 or A5 offsuit 33 55 66 etc?

Checking is normally a terrible thing to do because our villains can bluff. If however this villain never bluffs and checks back the 4 and 2 pairs, checking is actually fine.

The aggressive is best theory does not work on calling stations when we are bluffing.

Do we know if V is a calling station?

If not we have to try to get V to fold by making bet sizes that V uses when V is value betting or especially if V ever over bet protected a hand that we saw and noted. We would use that sizing to get a fold if one can be gotten.
You have to 3 barrel the correct boards and Ace on turn or river is a bad card for us.

One more point if we get to the turn and a Q or K hits we need to be very careful. K10 Q10 are common limps by this type of player UTG 2

Hope this helps

:):)

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Blinds are at 60-120

What do you do next?

First I am going to address some of the questions that were asked in the responses.

My hand is :kh4: :qd4:

Looking back at my raise pre-flop, I don't think it was a bad sizing but I think I could have gone a little bigger here. Thinking through the hand I know that Ax is within villain's range but most likely weaker aces and its possible that villain could have diamonds. That combined with the fact that villain has me covered and that I am OOP is something I am not liking very much. The advantage I have here is that there are some Tx that should be in my raising range from the SB. I don't think villain has TT+ because there was no 3 bet pre-flop, unless villain is just trying to be tricky and trap. I think there is a good chance that villain may have completely missed the board and I don't think there is a bet except an all in shove that can get me to fold here. I decide to check... villain checks back.

The turn is :3h4:

What do you do next?

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First I am going to address some of the questions that were asked in the responses.

My hand is :kh4: :qd4:

Looking back at my raise pre-flop, I don't think it was a bad sizing but I think I could have gone a little bigger here. Thinking through the hand I know that Ax is within villain's range but most likely weaker aces and its possible that villain could have diamonds. That combined with the fact that villain has me covered and that I am OOP is something I am not liking very much. The advantage I have here is that there are some Tx that should be in my raising range from the SB. I don't think villain has TT+ because there was no 3 bet pre-flop, unless villain is just trying to be tricky and trap. I think there is a good chance that villain may have completely missed the board and I don't think there is a bet except an all in shove that can get me to fold here. I decide to check... villain checks back.

The turn is :3h4:

What do you do next?

Thank U 4 Posting

As to raise size preflop.

If you are up against a loose player with no desire to fold 50 100 or 150 more changes nothing.

The villain has a pile of chips and position and may be playing their heater. This villain might call an 8 BB raise with 23suited.
If the villain has A7 off the V is 57% to win vs you preflop. Ad2d preflop is 59% to win.
2d3d has 37% preflop -2d3s 33%. etc etc etc.

Also we need to plan for all the streets when we choose our bet sizing preflop. We want our raises to represent a wide range of value hands that include AA.

As to what to do now on the turn.

We played our hand face up on the flop we cannot turn it back over and try to make our V think we have 1010. Why? This villain is not highly skilled or is a genuis. Either way our hands are tied.

23 is now a near nut hand vs our check range so is 43, are they in villains range, who knows. A5 is A2 is A4 is 22 33 44 55 56 105suited 7d5d 8d5d etc etc.

If we bet now what does villain do with any hand that is a good draw just call? Villain can have Ad5d we cannot know. There are so many value hands that checked flop or made it on turn putting another chip in this pot would be chip manslaughter. Sure maybe villain calls with a 4 and we hit a K or Q on river but remember we already gave up on the flop. Which means villain can steal when we bet turn and check a missed river. Also if this villain is crazy loose they can call our shove and still be in the tournament so they will bluff catch pot size river bluffs by us easily.
The villain thinks you have AK AQ AJ this villain may call any card below a 10 on the river, with A2 A3 A4 etc.

So if U feel you need to bet, bet 1BB to freeze the V from betting the turn to protect their 66. Just remember even a basic villain knows what that bet should be in this spot and can attack it.

Hope this helps
:):)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands