My personal strategy

X

XlordB

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all im new to the forum however ive played poker for years and Id like to share how i generally play texas holdem in all three categories cash - sit'n;go and tournament... My strategy never wavers I use the same strategy for every game I play and it works well for me.

So heres how I like to play.
I use a strategy I like to call the Trap strategy.
1. Never call or enter a hand with low unsuited cards. Unless checked in by blind of course.
2. If you know you have the winning hand DO NOT immediately raise. In fact do not raise at all if possible what you want is generally for someone to raise/bet/all in into your hand.

3. If you know you have the best hand after the flop don't be tempted to push all in or call all in. First just look at the suits if there is anything there matching like two of a suit or a possible straight then this puts a higher risk to your calling the all in as they may either be chasing a flush etc. Ideally you would call obviously if you had a full house or even trips as this lowers your risk as you would only need one other card on the board to match to hit a full-house or obviously if you already have it you know your calling that all in all day long.

4.the only time you will ever raise pre flop is with a pair i.e kk ,aa 10- 10 etc .. Never push all in with kk or aa or any pairs Always raise a third of your stack that will always give you a get out if it goes bad.

5. If your sitting with a massive chip lead "tourney play" the only hands to play for me are paired hands and generally ill just stick a small raise in.. mostly ill just call with them to minimise any possible damage .

6 . The reason I call this a trap strategy is because you are trying your utmost to NOT raise just keep calling/checking until you trap someone with monster hand and mostly they never know whats hit them.

7. Most important if you make a mistake and call a big raise on the flop even when you know your beating the opponent there is a good chance your hand can still be burst (we have all been there) just let it go and continue with the call strategy do not start raising and going nuts to try and reclaim them chips.

8. The reason this strategy works well is that when you manage to trap someone it mostly puts your opponent all in as they are likely to push on the river card if they have invested a few raises. as long as you don't over raise just call or check and wait for the opportunity for the big chip boost (however be prepared to fold as you MUST keep an eye on the cards coming out for a possible higher hand than yours.) mostly though you will win the hand if you know its strong enough. This strategy at times may have you waiting a while on a possible hand to play it on however the rewards from the boost usually put you far enough up the tourney table to outlast everyone till your next big trap hit.

pre hands worth calling can be suited cards close to each other at low digits like 5 - 6 hearts etc. however if the preflop gets all in or raised get outta there your just trying to see a flop for a low priced call.. ;)

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
4.the only time you will ever raise pre flop is with a pair i.e kk ,aa 10- 10 etc .. Never push all in with kk or aa or any pairs Always raise a third of your stack that will always give you a get out if it goes bad.

So you will not PFR any hand that isnt a pocket pair? What about hands like Suited Aces and KQ, AJ etc. will you not play this hand or will you just limp in and see if you hit the flop.

Do you play all pocket pairs down to 22 the same way? Why do you not value hands such as AK or high suited connectors? Pairs only come 1 in 17 hands and closer to 1 in 40 if you playing pairs 88-AA.
[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
Another thing is you will be losing value by not betting your big overpairs and allowing yourself to be outdrawn by giving freecards to your opponent.
[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
If this strategy you think works for you, this is fine.. but it is very very far from optimal. You are just minimizing risk while waiting for an eventual big payoff. You seem to give the impression that everytime you have a monster hand someone is just going to bluff off there stack at you. I think most of the time you will be leaving a ton of value on the table by not building the pot. There is also times when you will let your opponent get his flush or straight by not being aggressive and have too fold. This style of play is called Tight-Passive and it is highly exploitable from players that are paying attention.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all im new to the forum however ive played poker for years and Id like to share how i generally play texas holdem in all three categories cash - sit'n;go and tournament... My strategy never wavers I use the same strategy for every game I play and it works well for me.

So heres how I like to play.
I use a strategy I like to call the Trap strategy.
1. Never call or enter a hand with low unsuited cards. Unless checked in by blind of course.
2. If you know you have the winning hand DO NOT immediately raise. In fact do not raise at all if possible what you want is generally for someone to raise/bet/all in into your hand.

3. If you know you have the best hand after the flop don't be tempted to push all in or call all in. First just look at the suits if there is anything there matching like two of a suit or a possible straight then this puts a higher risk to your calling the all in as they may either be chasing a flush etc. Ideally you would call obviously if you had a full house or even trips as this lowers your risk as you would only need one other card on the board to match to hit a full-house or obviously if you already have it you know your calling that all in all day long.

5. If your sitting with a massive chip lead "tourney play" the only hands to play for me are paired hands and generally ill just stick a small raise in.. mostly ill just call with them to minimise any possible damage .

6 . The reason I call this a trap strategy is because you are trying your utmost to NOT raise just keep calling/checking until you trap someone with monster hand and mostly they never know whats hit them.

7. Most important if you make a mistake and call a big raise on the flop even when you know your beating the opponent there is a good chance your hand can still be burst (we have all been there) just let it go and continue with the call strategy do not start raising and going nuts to try and reclaim them chips.

8. The reason this strategy works well is that when you manage to trap someone it mostly puts your opponent all in as they are likely to push on the river card if they have invested a few raises. as long as you don't over raise just call or check and wait for the opportunity for the big chip boost (however be prepared to fold as you MUST keep an eye on the cards coming out for a possible higher hand than yours.) mostly though you will win the hand if you know its strong enough. This strategy at times may have you waiting a while on a possible hand to play it on however the rewards from the boost usually put you far enough up the tourney table to outlast everyone till your next big trap hit.

pre hands worth calling can be suited cards close to each other at low digits like 5 - 6 hearts etc. however if the preflop gets all in or raised get outta there your just trying to see a flop for a low priced call.. ;)

Matmakenz covered most of it pretty good. Point of the game is to be profitable long term if you can honestly say by your results that you are a winning player then go for it, but it sounds like a losing strategy, for one the hands you are talking about playing don’t come around that often, so in tournaments you’re going to blind out quite frequently. In cash you’re losing A LOT of value and thin value is where the money is won and lost in this game long term. Tight passive is EXTREMELY exploitable. I wouldn’t have to spend but about 3 hands with you before I would start stealing your chips. And could easily get away from your trap while chasing my draws for a GREAT price seeing that i’d be the one setting the price.

X

XlordB

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Matmakenz covered most of it pretty good. Point of the game is to be profitable long term if you can honestly say by your results that you are a winning player then go for it, but it sounds like a losing strategy, for one the hands you are talking about playing don’t come around that often, so in tournaments you’re going to blind out quite frequently. In cash you’re losing A LOT of value and thin value is where the money is won and lost in this game long term. Tight passive is EXTREMELY exploitable. I wouldn’t have to spend but about 3 hands with you before I would start stealing your chips. And could easily get away from your trap while chasing my draws for a GREAT price seeing that i’d be the one setting the price.

I understand it may seem like a loosing strategy however it is not. The point of the strategy is mainly just to know when you have the best hand and then try to trap somone into betting into you instead of you raising to get chips from them. It also serves a purpose as it means if you dont raise your good hands then its harder for the opponents to gauge whether you have a good hand or not.. For example pre flop or after the flop if somone raises you know they have a good hand which then allows you to gauge how strong you think your hand is in comparison to the flop.. I.e how many hands can be made from the flp with a strong pair like (a k) (a q) etc.. Trust me its not a losing strategy you can still play any hand you want to provided you can see the flop for a cheap price personally with lower card i go with suited and able to make a straight with. I dont generally go in with 5-6 etc unless they are suited. But this is my personal choice of the hands i play not the strategy that im talking about.. the strategy is how I manage to build my chipstack with those hands and that I do with trapping my opponent. Once you try it for a while it gets pretty easy to know when your opponent is going to push all in.

Im probably over explaining it. but really it just comes down to being able to hide what your hand is better in order to draw people into an all in or big raise so you can take their chips. Ive won tons of sit n gos and 1st in a few big tourneys locally to me nothing professional of course i dont play professionally I just love the fun of the game.

I do use other strategys on occasion it just depends on the day at hand sometimes its worth putting in a small raise on flop and turn to see who is either chasing or has something you need to guage on the flop The hands that dont come around often I was mainly just saying about those within relation to having that hand and being able to trap your opponent I wasnt specifically meaning just wait till you get a full house on flop etc as I know that doesnt come around often.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
If those strategies work for you, keep it that way, for all the same strategies do not work, I believe our miestras but a person can play can find their strategies and their way of playing or how to adapt to each tournament, the game experience helps a lot

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I understand it may seem like a loosing strategy however it is not. The point of the strategy is mainly just to know when you have the best hand and then try to trap somone into betting into you instead of you raising to get chips from them. It also serves a purpose as it means if you dont raise your good hands then its harder for the opponents to gauge whether you have a good hand or not.. For example pre flop or after the flop if somone raises you know they have a good hand which then allows you to gauge how strong you think your hand is in comparison to the flop.. I.e how many hands can be made from the flp with a strong pair like (a k) (a q) etc.. Trust me its not a losing strategy you can still play any hand you want to provided you can see the flop for a cheap price personally with lower card i go with suited and able to make a straight with. I dont generally go in with 5-6 etc unless they are suited. But this is my personal choice of the hands i play not the strategy that im talking about.. the strategy is how I manage to build my chipstack with those hands and that I do with trapping my opponent. Once you try it for a while it gets pretty easy to know when your opponent is going to push all in.

Im probably over explaining it. but really it just comes down to being able to hide what your hand is better in order to draw people into an all in or big raise so you can take their chips. Ive won tons of sit n gos and 1st in a few big tourneys locally to me nothing professional of course i dont play professionally I just love the fun of the game.

I do use other strategys on occasion it just depends on the day at hand sometimes its worth putting in a small raise on flop and turn to see who is either chasing or has something you need to guage on the flop The hands that dont come around often I was mainly just saying about those within relation to having that hand and being able to trap your opponent I wasnt specifically meaning just wait till you get a full house on flop etc as I know that doesnt come around often.

I understand what you were saying, this was better explained than the first portion. It sounded at first as if your strategy was to wait on top 2% of hands and trap. I understand this particular strategy and use it when I know my opponent will spew. Happens often in micros but not as much in the higher stakes . Thanks for spending the time re-explaining.

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not a bad strategy but you must lean once you have the bigger stack. if yyou have high pair early you got to bet big enough to push out anyone who might catch that lucky straight or flush on the river.

chezzzi_qwe

chezzzi_qwe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
strategy interesting, but a lot I do not understand
there are situations that you missed. That finish big tournaments and rates high in pairs on the final