Opening up range in late stages

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, its time to fix some leaks. My problem is I dont have a solid opening range based on position for late stage of tourneys. Like opening A8o from utg2, is it ok or I am playing with fire? What about offsuit connectors?

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Opening hands are very relative to position, like you mentioned but another key component is stack size.

If you are short in the late stages(20 BBs or less), and have already made the money, your main goal should be to double up and put yourself in contention for the final table. SO, in scenarios where we have less than 20 BBs, we have to tighten up our range considerably from early position. I'm folding hands like QJo, KJo, suited connectors, and offsuit Aces that aren't accompanied by a broadway card(A2-A9). This applies for full-ring or 8-max tables when I'm UTG, UTG+1, or UTG+2. If I have KJo, QJo, or a hand like A8o or 89s, I will open them from any position after that.

I apply basically the same ranges when I'm in that awkward 21-29 BB stack range, with the only exceptions being stronger Aces(A8, A9) and the occasional suited connector or KJo.

Table dynamics also play a huge role. If your table is also in the same stack size range as you, I think you can play a tad bit wider until players adjust. However, if I have a big stack or big stacks at my table, I am sticking to my tight opening ranges, waiting for a premium hand to double up with. Also, if you notice your table to be rather loose, consider the occasional 3bet with hands that will easily have your opponent's wide opening range dominated(suited Aces A4+, pocket pairs, KQs). This will help you crawl out of that awkward stack size and allow you to play a more comfortable game.

Good luck!

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
As stacks get shallower the value of flopped pair increases and opponents tend to 3bet or 3bet shove more, so you should open more hands that both block hands with which your opponents can 3bet you and that will give you a higher possibility to flop top / middle pairs (e.g. K8s > 87s or QJo > A2s if you're shallow). So in general less suited connectors/ gappers and expand your range with broadway cards, but of course a lot depends on blinds and LP players' stacks size and their playing style.

Stevendewitt7

Stevendewitt7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Book em Danno!

In tournaments, it is a run and gun show for sho. Lol. All luck and jokes aside, my range is ridiculous with more leaks than Bonnie and Clyde's car. So get this. Every tournament I play, there are a handful of trap hands baiting you in for the kill. It is QQ or JJ or even AA. I am telling you, I know there are at least two bait hands coming after I start making progress in chips. If I hit for a nice pot, best believe I am getting dealt KK and the dude across the table will have AA. It happens every freaking time. I feel like every time I get hit, dude is saying, "book em Danno". I don't know why but it is true. Am I just crazy alone on this?

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In tournaments, it is a run and gun show for sho. Lol. All luck and jokes aside, my range is ridiculous with more leaks than Bonnie and Clyde's car. So get this. Every tournament I play, there are a handful of trap hands baiting you in for the kill. It is QQ or JJ or even AA. I am telling you, I know there are at least two bait hands coming after I start making progress in chips. If I hit for a nice pot, best believe I am getting dealt KK and the dude across the table will have AA. It happens every freaking time. I feel like every time I get hit, dude is saying, "book em Danno". I don't know why but it is true. Am I just crazy alone on this?

Thats a rigged theory that I have fall victim many times, so I can feel you. Its because we attribute to poker maths about justice and fair play that doesnt exist. Could you lose or win ten times in a row with every hand you play? Justice theory says no. But poker knows nothing about that. So dont start folding your ace because the previous board contain an ace or dont fold your JJ because in your previous hand you win with AJ against AK flip so some power should mantain balance. The odds of losing jacks to some other hand remain the same, its just that goes well with our false concept when we lose, but we dont care when we win cause it was expected right?

Last edited:
D

Donny bennight

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
cant tell you how many times i got pocket aces on the bubble and lose

H

hedonist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In order to make the money in tournaments, you have to know exactly where the money bubble is, and play much more aggressively about an hour or two before the money bubble.

L

Ltech

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ranges opening

A8o UTG2 for me is fold. On the Lowest connectors (T9s to 76s) i try to enter a hand only when 2 or 3 players enter the pot with simple calls. The next connectors are J to Q to K to A, and all its combinations. Those hands deserve another treatment like fire (aggressive)

GiGiCat

GiGiCat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, its time to fix some leaks. My problem is I dont have a solid opening range based on position for late stage of tourneys. Like opening A8o from utg2, is it ok or I am playing with fire? What about offsuit connectors?

Late stage your range should open up if you are 30BB or better at whatever late level it is, this is if you are looking to not only get to the final table but to win. I have a late game (after the money bubble burst) Range of about 20% to 35%. If your good at post flop play ya can play 45% or more.

If you want to climb the the pay ladder then (which really isn't beneficial till ya get to the final table bubble or the Final table). I'd play a slightly more conservative range, but still about 15% to 18%.

You should play what feels comfortable to you and introduce a few hands at a time to help ease any tense feelings, and what is fitting according to your stack size.

If the opportunity arises of coarse the cards do not matter and aggression will win the pot.

A word to maybe help, the opponents range is just as important as yours as both are needed to come up with an approximation of an equity pre flop so Hero knows if it's even worth entering the pot.

Again in certain instances the cards do not matter only aggression....in this case the darkside is your friend!

Get PokerStove or PokerStrategy.com Equilab and you can train yourself in determining Equity and use the "Hand Matrix" to make ranges.

Regards,
GiGiCat:)

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

• A8 a weak hand in the later stages ,but sometimes you can be ahead of having luck,and basically its range is weak.

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Depends how many BB you have, how many players are at the table, what their stack sizes are, what stage of the tournament it is. There is a lot to consider, cant really answer yes or no to should you open A8o or connectors from utg+2 as it depends on all of the above factors.