Opening size MTT

vox1er

vox1er

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys,
Why players opening size late in tournaments is only 2 BB? Considering all the antes, we are giving our opponents great odds to see flop.
When and why is it correct theoretically to decrease the opening size in MTT?

Thanks

freeringo

freeringo

2019-20-21 League Champs
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have never been a fan of a min raise

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
It is true that if you only mini-raise the big blind especially can and should defend with a lot of hands.

Some players don't mind that since they almost always have position when they mini-rasie. (and they like to play small ball and see a lot of flops)

But it is more common to at least raise 2.2x to 2.5x just to not give great odds to call. And if you are at a table where people call a lot pre-flop you should increase that to maybe 3x or even more if they are passive calling stations.

In short stack hyper-turbos (that is you start with a short stack). Like spin and go's I think it is correct to just mini-raise (or even limp) - and the next move is all-in (so basically only three options if you don't have a good read that they call a bigger raise with bad hands.

You don't want to risk to much early in this type of games and you all have small chances to get good hand (just 2-3 players). So attack pre- or post with smaller bets.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Personally I think the min raise is a mistake. Ant good player will call most hands with the min be even late in a tournament. I would raise 2.25X to 2.5X instead.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the minimum raise size is relevant in the initial stages, but as your stack grows, you should preferably no longer give a chance to see the flop cheaply for such opponents

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They could be trying to control the pot. If you are holding something that is very strong, you should be putting them to the test right away and get their mediocre hands to fold.

B

biodarwin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It just depends. The correct betting size is the smallest betting size you can get away with and accomplish your goals. If the table is passive or near a bubble, I min-raise quite a bit. Why risk any more than you have to, to steal the blinds.

Most people do not defend their big blind enough.

yomarianob

yomarianob

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to use a min-raise size a lot, but this is because I still play low stakes.

In low stakes ($1 - $5) people just don't defend the BB enough. Also, when they 3-bet, the sizing is smaller than if I OR 2.5x or so, getting to call with more marginal hands or 4-bet smaller.