akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Hey CCers ,

What range do you open raise from early position? I am not asking about the standard open raise charts but for a balanced one. Is it better to open raise something like Q7s , K4s , J9 etc with the fear of facing a better kicker or is preferable to open raise something totally polarized like 35s , 68s etc?

Let's say we are talking about a regular speed deep stacked tournament with much post flop play!!

Thank you in advance!

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I may be wrong, but I believe opening a polarized EP range is the best option!
You have easier decisions by being 3bet and able to more easily balance your 3bet and 4bet by value/bluff and always mixing your pre and post flop game as well!

If you prefer a balanced range of EP, tell me the benefits of it!
:icon_bril

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I may be wrong, but I believe opening a polarized EP range is the best option!
You have easier decisions by being 3bet and able to more easily balance your 3bet and 4bet by value/bluff and always mixing your pre and post flop game as well!

If you prefer a balanced range of EP, tell me the benefits of it!
:icon_bril

Actually you are not afraid about better kickers with a polarized range and if you hit the board you will get paid well but I am not sure if I burn my chips by making those open raises from EP that's why I created the thread.

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually you are not afraid about better kickers with a polarized range and if you hit the board you will get paid well but I am not sure if I burn my chips by making those open raises from EP that's why I created the thread.

In the 'weak' part of the range would be weak/medium pairs, weak aces suiteds and some suited connectors/gappers that I would play more to hit sets/flushs/straights and strong draws!
I don't
usually play that kind of hand to hit a top pair and a weak kicker! And that serves more to balance my range and avoid being exploited!

Also, thanks for your answer!

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
In the 'weak' part of the range would be weak/medium pairs, weak aces suiteds and some suited connectors/gappers that I would play more to hit sets/flushs/straights and strong draws!
I don't
usually play that kind of hand to hit a top pair and a weak kicker! And that serves more to balance my range and avoid being exploited!

Also, thanks for your answer!

No, when I say hit the board with a starting hand like 35s I mean make a straight or at least 2 pair or a flush.

Thanks for commenting!

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to have strong opening hands in EP.

Weakest stuff you can open is like AJo or like 67s.

Dont want to go weaker than this, need playability!

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
balanced range

I prefer a polarized range to the style of play I have, but a balanced range helps to confuse rather not think there is a standard but there is a line to be followed

is that you?

:jd4:mateuspoker

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
77+, AJo+, KQo+, all suited aces, K9s+, QTs+, JT, T9s, 98s my opening range from EP. If you are very deep, like 150bb, you can add some more suited connected hands, like 87s or small pocket pairs, but in tournaments that happens rarely.

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in my opinion the low cards win more than the highs always I go with a high kicker the bass goes out and I end up losing I prefer to play losses in a deep tournament without risking the variance is something crazy at least in poker stars I would choose cards type 8-6 , 3-5, 9-7, greetings:stupido:

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You need to have strong opening hands in EP.

Weakest stuff you can open is like AJo or like 67s.

Dont want to go weaker than this, need playability!

Thank you very much Ryan, I appreciate it :) :)

I prefer a polarized range to the style of play I have, but a balanced range helps to confuse rather not think there is a standard but there is a line to be followed

is that you?

:jd4:mateuspoker

I think this is me , I like to be unpredictable and force my opponent to double think his next action :)

77+, AJo+, KQo+, all suited aces, K9s+, QTs+, JT, T9s, 98s my opening range from EP. If you are very deep, like 150bb, you can add some more suited connected hands, like 87s or small pocket pairs, but in tournaments that happens rarely.

Yeap , I am using almost the same range at the moment with 87s be the bottom of my opening range , I think this is also semi - balanced but not totally polarized. Thanks for the detailed answer , I always pay attention in your answers , they are very helpful :)

in my opinion the low cards win more than the highs always I go with a high kicker the bass goes out and I end up losing I prefer to play losses in a deep tournament without risking the variance is something crazy at least in poker stars I would choose cards type 8-6 , 3-5, 9-7, greetings:stupido:

Couldn't agree more that you need now and then some random openings and especially against some sticky opponents you will always get paid well.
Probably after your answers I will open raise those type of hands MP - LP :D:D:D

Gamebreakr25

Gamebreakr25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey there. I like your ranges. I tend to play about the same in early position. I hope all is well.

abzdolc

abzdolc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess to revome dominated AJofs, KJofs or smaller & to add more suited connectors

Z

Zikasamaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey CCers ,

What range do you open raise from early position? I am not asking about the standard open raise charts but for a balanced one. Is it better to open raise something like Q7s , K4s , J9 etc with the fear of facing a better kicker or is preferable to open raise something totally polarized like 35s , 68s etc?

Let's say we are talking about a regular speed deep stacked tournament with much post flop play!!

Thank you in advance!
You can open with J10s+,kqo+,AJo+,66+,78s+....something like that,you can wider beting from early pozition but just a little not too much....