Open League! (Re-occuring Nightmare)

X MaCs X

X MaCs X

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was wondering a few things, I play open skill league alot and tend to have great starts ALL the time, But it seems that when I get down close to the bubble I "panic" and just self destruct. The thing is I know I do it, and pre-warn myself not to do it, but somehow it happens. Ive missed the bubble multiple times on multiple MTT type games. It's aggravating!! But I guess what I wanna ask is, Does this happen to anyone else, and if so, do you have ways of preventing it?

B

biops

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was wondering a few things, I play open skill league alot and tend to have great starts ALL the time, But it seems that when I get down close to the bubble I "panic" and just self destruct. The thing is I know I do it, and pre-warn myself not to do it, but somehow it happens. Ive missed the bubble multiple times on multiple MTT type games. It's aggravating!! But I guess what I wanna ask is, Does this happen to anyone else, and if so, do you have ways of preventing it?
The bubble more specific for open skill, ist the pontuation bubble or the money bubble? Something that happens to me in a similar way, its that when i raise my stack i have the tendencie to relax and tighten up my range... since im now aware of that im trying to fix it.
On overall bubbles, just play your best... when i have anxiety crisis i put some "challenges" to avoid making rough mistakes. Challenges like "i have to Double up until the next break- i had to reach late register - reach itm - reach ft...

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Happens to everyone all the time. The key is tighten up your range a little. Be prepared for you next move if you put any chips in the middle. Your chips are way more valuable at this stage of a tournament. Look for others that may be just trying to cash and exploit those weakness. with a shorter stack you are looking to shove or fold with the intention of getting free chips without a show down.

X MaCs X

X MaCs X

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Happens to everyone all the time. The key is tighten up your range a little. Be prepared for you next move if you put any chips in the middle. Your chips are way more valuable at this stage of a tournament. Look for others that may be just trying to cash and exploit those weakness. with a shorter stack you are looking to shove or fold with the intention of getting free chips without a show down.

I tend to have larger stacks (Most of the time) at the later stages of the tourneys, so with a large stack I should play a bit more conservatively?

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should, but it depends on the types of players at your table. This could be a great opportunity to pick up so free chips especially with the more passive players. With a larger stack raise folding is an option but that's what will kills your stack. Pick out players that you can exploit. Tighten up a little until you've secured the cash, then open up and gamble. No sense in not being rewarded for playing 3 hours.

B

biops

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to have larger stacks (Most of the time) at the later stages of the tourneys, so with a large stack I should play a bit more conservatively?
If you have a big stack on buble, you should take advantage on that. You can put pressure on limpers, i(if i have at least 25blinds i wont ever enter a pot paying blinds) try to play in position and try to find the pattern of action From the players on your tabble and specially if there is a short stack acting after you... (a short stack have 2moves as Said before - shove or fold, and to a short stack the better moment to shove is when no one has entered the pot).

X MaCs X

X MaCs X

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Haha! Guess what...

As I was reading this, I was in High school league, 75th out of 200, and bam, self destructed, Man I gotta stay focused.

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As I was reading this, I was in High school league, 75th out of 200, and bam, self destructed, Man I gotta stay focused.

Only 15% finishes in the money, so even when you're a very good player you will finish outside of the bubble more often than inside of it. That's normal, no reason to stress about it.

In general for bubble play I'd advise you to try and spot the players who fold about anyting to get into the money (with me in university league there's a huge amount of players doing that). If you spot one try to raise him often.

Besides that there's no need to be too anxious about it, indeed often you will finish outside of the bubble but a few good runs will make up for that easily.

Good luck mate ^^

M

Mike D_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had the same problem like you, great starts and then getting busted close to bubble time. Two weeks ago I started playing cash games and I got it why I'm doing bad at mtt bubbles - with a healthy stack you don't need to take shoves if you are not sure 99% you are ahead, you don't need to play all premium hands you get - you need to catch a good combination and put your opponent all-in to double up and after that you can fold a lot of hands in a row until you'll find another spot to double up.
If u have the nuts, don't bet hard or don't bet at all, at bubble time players are inclined more to bluff so give those LAG players a chance to bluff you.

X MaCs X

X MaCs X

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys, Both are helpful!

Mike D you hit it on the nose, I always get super pushy when I get a stack, thinking I can up it just a little more, and its usually a premium hand that beats me.
I think Im gonna start giving myself a no all in rule. :p

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Try playing as usual i.e. the way you played to get the big stack. I suggest try tightening you your range somewhat as the tournament progresses.

There are a lot of players in that MTT and a lot a bad/inexperienced/don't care players that play weird and bad. It is super tough. Once you get down to about 600 left switch to more ABC poker play your premiums and try and steal in position when you can to keep a float.

spawn30

spawn30

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

In tournaments getting nervous is not something easy or fun. You may feel your heart racing faster, your palms sweating or cold, and even get a bit unstable and out of control. The thing I usually do to calm down is to remember that eventually everyone gets nervous (even a little), but I believe we have control of the mind and body. With some right steps you are calming down, you are able to cool your head.