OPEN ENDED STRAIGHTS PRE-FLOP:PLAY OR NOT TO PLAY?

telford777

telford777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Greetings folks.
So often,I fold potentially open ended straight draws..... Only for it to come up.... Or at least pair up.

Can anyone please give me an insight into whether it is wise to make a punt/investment on open ended straight hole cards?
If so.... Under what circumstances should this be done?
Thankyou in advance people!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It depends on the situation. I will always play them but it depends on the action before me. If the person bets overly large that I am not given the correct pot odds, I will fold. If a flush could have already been made and the start pumping in money, I fold. I the board pairs and they start pumping in money i have to consider folding. If I am getting good odds and there is no possible hand that could already beat my straight ii I make one I will play them.

an9312

an9312

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
well, not much more can be added to the first comment. i agree 100%

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best to play in position as you have more information about the hand at play. If action folds to you in late position, I would open raise. However, if there is a raise and a call or a raise and a re-raise, it's an easy fold. Can't play based on what would have happened if you had called. Every hand is a new opportunity. Just don't like playing these hands from early position at all.

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on my overall equity in the hand. If I have an open ender and theres flush value along with it...I'm 100% seeing a turn. If it's an open ender and theres 3 of one suit and I'm not carrying that suit ....depending on who's in my value of seeing a turn decreases . If its rainbow flop then hell yeah I will see a flop depending on overall bet size and what I'm actually playing

V

vwpokernut

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pre-flop open ended straights....

aka connectors?

alah hopefully suited connectors?

don't over-value but def have their merit!