MTTs and sleep

T

thefwa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesterday, after barely getting any sleep this week, I decided to play some MTTs.
At first I was playing good, getting into some regular spots, and what not.

Then when I started getting sleepy, I started giving way too much credit to certain cards, and played like a maniac. Which to my recollection, I have yet to do. I stated seeing all SC as premium hands, the sad part is I had been 1st for playing good prior to that, and just started dozing off and not caring anymore.

How much would you say sleep affects your ability to do well in MTTs? I know for me it messed up a FT run for sure :/

Adubzz

Adubzz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It makes a huuuuuuge difference. Not a lot of people realize how things like sleep can affect your poker game. Side effects from sleep deprivation include impairment in alertness,memory, and cognitive functions. All things that will keep you from playing at 100%

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It makes a huge difference, specially because MTTs last for lots of hours, you are much more likely to make lots and lots of mistakes, because you lack concentration.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On average, a MTT lasts 4-6 hours. It is better not to begin the tournament, if not slept before. And no energy drinks or coffee will not help!

PCK

PCK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sleeping is very important ,not only at poker ,in real life to,at work as well,starting relationships etc.After a good sleep you fell very energic,very good and very motivating .

21sam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play aloud worse after the sleep. Need time and a few freerolls (where I most likely lose) to be tuned on serious play.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Coffee and music will not let you sleep.

Actually before the session you should have a good night's sleep, so that during the game play is not tired

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The situation is pretty clear here, your existential instinct overtook all your skills, body said: who cares about your money man, i'm off to bed :p...Happenned to me a couple of times, i even fall asleep a dozen of times during the MTT's so waking up after that is pretty disturbing, you don't even need a coffee :p I'll say to you the same thing that i'd said to myself, recalculate your priorities in order to save your money :)

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The situation is pretty clear here, your existential instinct overtook all your skills, body said: who cares about your money man, i'm off to bed :p...Happenned to me a couple of times, i even fall asleep a dozen of times during the MTT's so waking up after that is pretty disturbing, you don't even need a coffee :p I'll say to you the same thing that i'd said to myself, recalculate your priorities in order to save your money :)

You are very right! I was going to say something close to that one post. Sleep is sth you can't just miss in order to play some good poker.

W

wowasenotrusov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
on their experience can also say that lack of sleep is bad for the game of poker so you better get some sleep.

T

ThatOneGuy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Perhaps it's just having a high IQ and a lot of poker experience but I find that even if I'm exhausted, I can typically play and play fairly well. That said, I'd much prefer to play with at least 5 hours of sleep the night before hand.

Gothams Son

Gothams Son

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought this was going to be a post about not getting a lot of sleep because you keep running deep into MTTs. I have had that problem a couple of times.
When I have trouble with your situation I will usually change my music from relaxing to a little bit more rocking as well as turning the volume up. I may also grab a soda and if that doesn't work a coffee.

4kingwildo

4kingwildo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well, i prefer turbo+ mtt's, cause got same problem. slow blind system makes me tired and do some stupid decision. i dont know how to play more then 4 hours with same skill =(

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sleep very bad, awfull, and yesterday I started mtt and began sleeping just playing tournament.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In poker, and in other endeavor, condition is a must.

It would affect your game/decision because you want to finish the game right away by becoming so loose.

2easy4ninja

2easy4ninja

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play ~7-8 hours, sleep and play again every day =)_

A

avner

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its nopt just sleepy, its any other thing twisted your concentration, you must be fully concetrate if you want to play good

1chicharito4

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i am live in Europe but i am living et time for mtt.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought this was going to be a post about not getting a lot of sleep because you keep running deep into MTTs. I have had that problem a couple of times.

Thinly veiled brags ITT!

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its a lot easier to win when you are focused

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its a lot easier to win when you are focused

When tired, you can win too, but there will be little action for improvisation, action will be more automatically..

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tiredness affects how you do everything, and playing poker is no different. Think of a time when you have been driving and felt tired; what did you do? Hopefully you did not continue driving, but pulled over and took a break, because your ability to concentrate and function at the task was seriously and adversely impaired. Just like you should drive while tired, don't play poker while tired. Take a nap and come back later much stronger!

M

Martinosky11

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sleep, work out and eat well and u will see results in your thinking process

UhhWee

UhhWee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing mtts can be very annoying and disgusting. For example bubbling after 1-2 hours or placing 10th after 3 hours.
so a good mtt-ler should has a good mindset and time

B

bobo5535

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
insert sticks to your eyes :) tournament often takes 4 hours ;/