mtt pressure

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wanted to get some tips from others who have experienced and overcome what i am feeling.many times in an mtt, i wade through the field and get to the bubble and I start to feel anxiety about getting to the final table. Then i start making moves that are not consistent with what got me to this point and I know this is costing me money. So, any tips on how to relieve the stress and continuing to play smart poker going forward?

O

Ofarah

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find myself in this situation a lot. I tilted 3 tournaments last night that I could’ve final tabled. I would be interested in tips as well. I would suggest just going with your gut and ICM pressure.

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Same here. I think we've all faced this problem at some point. I agree with Ofarah. Trust your instincts and just play your hands to the best of your ability given the situation (position, opponents, stack sizes, etc.). Just ask yourself before you act, "how likely is it that I have the best hand?" You can't control the outcome of the hand or the MTT, only the choices you make at each decision point.

DFozzi

DFozzi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I completely agree. I also decided to play in mtt tournaments, but so far without much success

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Just play abc poker and leave any fancy moves till you feel very comfortable playing when you are in the money.

Don't be afraid to go all in with decent hands when you are nearly 10bbs and under no circumstances don't get blinded out.

T

TryTo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play cheap sng mtts. 90-180 players for $0.25-$1. Load them as many as you can. You don't lose much, final table hits are more frequent. And work on mistakes in big pots after the session. Right game and adaptation to final tables will come soon.

I get to final table in big tournaments very seldom, but if it happens, I don't know why, but I feel quite comfortable. More than in middle stage with shorter stack (in blinds) and with still a lot of mad players.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Imploding late in tournaments

What I've discovered about myself is on the bubble or even at the final table, if I have a medium to short stack I play tight and last quite a while. When I have a very large stack, however, I get to feeling it is my obligation to take people out. So I end up being involved in hands where other players are all-in and all I have is marginal hands (like KJs). Instead I know I need to learn to back off and let someone else take them out, but I'm personally having a hard time sticking to that even though I know I should. The idea of taking people out when I'm big stack is just too tempting, even though I know it's responsible for 75% of my large stack implosions.

ruswolfhound

ruswolfhound

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In mtt, you have to win many, very many, and do not need to know the strategy of your game, otherwise you will lose

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do not look at the table of positions, play to get to the final table, and do not afraid of being eliminated.When you play a tournament and you are seeing where you are goring, that affects your game.

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often have the same problem . If you set your goal at the final table instead of just getting ITM it might help you play the way you should instead of playing scared and afraid of not making it ITM .

S

sakuraitaro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
stay the course

play the way that got you there. be prepared to flip if you have to. no sense in throwing away nines of tens.

Clowntown

Clowntown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stop looking back and forth and the payouts, even know it is very tempting.

The small payup incentives often distract us from making the best play and taking down 1st place or top 3 which is where the real money is at.

Focus on figuring out what types of players you have at your table and pay attention to what hands they're playing. Just concentrate on playing your best poker even if it means you get it in with the best hand but still lose and become the stone-cold bubble.

Also, don't be aggressive if you have a bunch of crazy loose players at your table, carefully think about your moves and how your opponents will likely respond to them based on their previous hands.

DSUMMER10

DSUMMER10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The key is to stay calm and keep playing the way you've been playing until the tournament's finals. Use the time to think about the play, think about what might happen after your move, whether to pay for a return. Several factors must be taken into account at this important stage of the tournament. It requires attention and technique.

R

raimundox44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have three tips nor an unorthodox for this problem:1 Play-no matter the outcome.
2-is very aggressive in the tournament in order to be cheapleader (but has good sense, no shoving with 72o)
3-Play very MTTs at the same time, it takes some of the pressure for results, IMO (but again has good sense, play a number of screens that you can track)
gl 2all

ElMatador689

ElMatador689

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would recommend disabling any informations how many player are left, if you are playing to get to final table(we all do) then focus on getting there, and then you can worry about pay jumps and your position ;)

gocho2009

gocho2009

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for asking this question Stil370 ... this situation often happens to me, but thanks to the advice I have read I think that from now on I will improve my game

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that most of players (including me of course) are tight them up on late stages, mostly because of two things:
1) ITM/FT is so near you nearly feel you can touch it and ain't it what you wished to reach for, when you registered yourself at a Tournament?! Forget it. Seriously, forget about money, cause if you only think and dream about how nice would be to get at Final Table or even win that Tournament, you automatically forget to think about your game strategy and miss important spots to increase your stack, which basically leaves you loosing your stack, while dreaming. To be first you have to work a lot at the table and never loose a concentration. This is only what important. Forget about dreaming and hoping, just do what you shall to do at this current situation. Anything else shall not bothering.
2) In many situations we still not sure if it's right to raise/push or better to fold and wait for a better hand and better spot. Here is where can help us math, analyzing, learning software, such as equity Calculators, ICM Trainers, Solvers and so on. I think that it's very important to spend at least some of time for studying questionable hands and spots to find out, if it was +EV or -EV spot. To make the right decision next time we have a similar hand and spot. More often you training this, more situations become easier for you and your game become better. There are Software which costs money, but there are some with trials or even a free one. For example ICMizer allows you 3 analyzes per day for free. And PokerStrategy Equilab and ICM Trainer are absolutely free, you only need to create account there. PioViewer is also free for PreFlop situations. But if you are really serious to your poker games and about to make money with and move up on limits, i would recommend to spend some money for PT4 or HM2 and HoldEm Resources or Flopzilla.