MTT opening ranges

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm wondering how to devise good opening ranges for MTTs.

Yes, I know plenty will say that you don't need an official list, but with the understanding that charts should be adapted to the players at the table, that doesn't change the fact that certain hands tend to be profitable and some are not.

Now of course, there's tons of opening range charts out there, but those opening ranges are all for cash. Tournaments are quite different. You need to consider relative stack size, bubble factors, antes, etc.

With so many different factors, it's not practical to have charts for all the possible scenarios, but I was thinking I could at least define ranges based on stack size. But how to even define that? How does a 30BB stack opening range differ from a 20BB stack?

I think HoldemResources Calculator might be useful, but it seems a little tight at times.

Any thoughts?

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems like a good thought, but remember the game can never be truly solved due to the multitude of variables. The charts just give us a basic framework and understanding of the correct plays. They take into account your chip stack not others, so you have to decide if you are capable of getting steals through on certain players with certain stacks.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
You should have a clear gasp of 100bb ranges(which are very similar to cash ranges) and 20bb ranges. If you get these two ranges right, you will have a decent grasp on how to play everything in between.

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have a clear gasp of 100bb ranges(which are very similar to cash ranges) and 20bb ranges. If you get these two ranges right, you will have a decent grasp on how to play everything in between.

This sounds very reasonable. Thanks for the suggestion.

DTaboada

DTaboada

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It makes sense. Good advice.

swerdnase

swerdnase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends. Let's say you play according to a standard chart and open in MP with AT but then face a reraise from the button and a call from the SB. What do you do now? Or what if the table is playing super tight and any preflop raise will usually go uncontested? Then your range is basically everything.

A chart is a handy guide but it can only take you so far. Position, stack sizes, and table dynamics are just as, if not more important.

ringworm

ringworm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I tend to play a pretty Loose Aggressive style in late position and Tight Aggressive in early position. I'll throw away ATo under the gun, but I'll probably 3 bet it on the cutoff with a loose opponent raising in front of me. I get a lot tighter earlier and a lot looser later in position. If my table is loose, I'll tighten up. I'll loosen up if my table is tight. I want to play opposite to my opponents. My middle position tournament range is as follows:

44+
A8s+
67s+
All Broadways

If I'm first in, I'm coming in for @3bb raise with all of my hands. I'll 3-bet the top 25% of my range on average to a raise in front of me and pretty much fold everything else except small pairs and suited connectors, hoping to hit the flop hard.

I don't like being in pots when I'm not in position and in the lead. Calling is seldom an option.

Therminator

Therminator

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Id highly recommend in early stages of the tournament to be very tight avd aggressive especially since the blinds aren't worth stealing early on.