MTT MIDDLE TO LATE STRATEGY

P

papatango123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there everyone,

im just wondering if any1 has any pointers on middle to late strategy in mtts i usually play between $5 to $11 tourneys on pokerstars. i seem to have mastered the early stages of a tourney usually having a large stack. but i seem to struggle when approaching the bubble and especially when there are say 400 of 4000 players left i seem to gradually lose chips instead of accumilating. my strategy at the moment which seems to be failing is i play fairly tight only raising in position and playing the hand aggressively. should i be taking more chances and calling with drawing hands like j10 or qj sort of hands and should i only raise with say aj aq ak aa kk qq sort of hands. any advice would be appreciated as i seem to be stuck in a rut, im cashing alot but no big break throughs
thanks

M

manofthehour

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most definitely you should raise with hands such as ace jack and ace queen. In the middle stages, you should widen up the range of cards u play and play more loose aggressive rather than tight aggressive. This should give you more of a chance of making a very long run in the tournament or sng. Good luck with that.

Bwammo

Bwammo

DragTheBar Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How you approach the middle stages really depends on your stack size and ability to play postflop. If you have enough chips to do whatever you want, it's often beneficial to take the loose-aggressive if you're skilled at playing postflop.

papagallo

papagallo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there everyone,

im just wondering if any1 has any pointers on middle to late strategy in mtts i usually play between $5 to $11 tourneys on pokerstars. i seem to have mastered the early stages of a tourney usually having a large stack. but i seem to struggle when approaching the bubble and especially when there are say 400 of 4000 players left i seem to gradually lose chips instead of accumilating. my strategy at the moment which seems to be failing is i play fairly tight only raising in position and playing the hand aggressively. should i be taking more chances and calling with drawing hands like j10 or qj sort of hands and should i only raise with say aj aq ak aa kk qq sort of hands. any advice would be appreciated as i seem to be stuck in a rut, im cashing alot but no big break throughs
thanks

Call (IN POSITION) with more meager holdings to a standard raise (22-66, A-10,KQ,KJ, QJ, J-10), raise/re-raise 77 - AA, AK, AQ, AJ. If first in (and in position) raise with any pocket pair down to 9-8s. Pick your spots, though, for these raises or you'll donk off all your chips.

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It is situationally dependent. ie. if your table is tightening up nearing bubble.. then obviously loosen up. More so it depends on the players on your tables & STACK SIZES.... ie. if you're raising you need to be looking to the size of stacks still to act & what types of players they are... if there's a few re-steal sized stacks to your left (sitting on 15-25bb's).. who are aggressively playing back then you obviously don't want to open wide.
The stage of the MTT you're referring to is much more about stack sizes & player tendancies. Be looking for your own spots too.... ie. know your opponent's (< if poss.), look for spots to 3-bet vs. guys who are opening too often (but again be looking at stack sizes > you want to make moves when stack sizes make it awkward for villain to play back w/o premium),
If you're on a re-steal sized stack yourself (~15-25bb's).. look for spots to get the pile in over player's who appear to be opening too often (esp. in LP when they've been doing so often).
If you're <20bb's... don't be opening with hands you don't plan on getting it in with (raising pre, cbet/folding on a stack of this size is terrible).

Basically... look for spots, & pay attention to stack sizes & player tendancies.

P

papatango123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cheers for the responses im currently in a tournament and running deep so hopefully i can take the advice and put it to good use.

i probably need to read up on large stack strategy aswel as i get far too tight thinking just protect this now when i should be thinking lets bulid a huge stack

D

davidjames

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your going for the win, then you should definentaly play looser in the mid stages of an mtt. If your just looking for a cash, like so many players are, then you should play tighter.

P

papatango123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes im defo guna loosen up as i wanna get to final tables no profit in finishin just in cash waste of time really

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't always play loose aggressive/tight aggressive/tight passive at a certain stage in a tournament - vary it depending on tables. If you've got a very nitty table, then open up in late position and steal a lot of blinds, or if you have a very loose table tighten up as you can expect to get paid off by a much wider range.

A

All In Cam B

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there everyone,

thanks
I think you have got it figured out ,try taking a few more chances pick them wisely ..Then make bets that end the hand -by making larger than normal sized bets it has helped me to lower the amount of suck outs