MTT Discussion - "What's the most valuable thing you've learned...?"

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As an MTT player, what has been your most valuable asset?

What has made you the most money?

Are you willing to share your secrets? :)

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best advice I can give to tournament players is two fold. One is specific and that is learn to play the short stack correctly and be comfortable playing it. Meaning learn push/fold and study when you should re jam over raisers and factor in what type of player is raising in the first place. Along with that comes the comfort aspect which is trust your push fold game and be able to lean on it. Once you are at the point where you are comfortable with your push fold game you can play aggressive early knowing you have the push fold game to fall back on if things dont go your way at the beginning of a tournament. This takes time to be comfortable with as it is still something I am trying to get wrapped around and I have been playing for almost 10 years now.

Second piece of advice is if you are doing something and have been for some time and the results are not there, dont be afraid to try something else. This can be small changes like "in the past when I was in doubt I checked" and now I will be "when in doubt I will bet" type of stuff. If you have been playing a certain way for a while and dont like where you are at try some things. You might stumble on things that work for you. This also can include pre flop raise sizing, post flop sizing, 3 bet bluffing, and so. What I guess this piece really boils down to is dont think you are losing because of bad beats but always question if you could have done something differently in the hand.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best advice I can give to tournament players is two fold. One is specific and that is learn to play the short stack correctly and be comfortable playing it. Meaning learn push/fold and study when you should re jam over raisers and factor in what type of player is raising in the first place. Along with that comes the comfort aspect which is trust your push fold game and be able to lean on it. Once you are at the point where you are comfortable with your push fold game you can play aggressive early knowing you have the push fold game to fall back on if things dont go your way at the beginning of a tournament. This takes time to be comfortable with as it is still something I am trying to get wrapped around and I have been playing for almost 10 years now.

Second piece of advice is if you are doing something and have been for some time and the results are not there, dont be afraid to try something else. This can be small changes like "in the past when I was in doubt I checked" and now I will be "when in doubt I will bet" type of stuff. If you have been playing a certain way for a while and dont like where you are at try some things. You might stumble on things that work for you. This also can include pre flop raise sizing, post flop sizing, 3 bet bluffing, and so. What I guess this piece really boils down to is dont think you are losing because of bad beats but always question if you could have done something differently in the hand.

Great stuff...thank you. :)