MTT Chip value

Andymac37

Andymac37

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can anyone tell me what it means when pros say that chips won later in tournaments are of more value than ones that's you win early on. It mostly seems to me that the ppl who are aggressive at the start of a tournament and get early double ups or win big pots always seem to make the last 3 tables at least. Thanks.

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because the prizes are greater at the FT, so the chips hold more value, because of your potential to win more money

U

ucdengboss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am only guessing here but you can say that your chips value is equal to your percentage of the chips in play. The first round of play you hold such a small amount of chips relative to all the chips in play and the pots played, blind levels etc are also a small %. Doubling up right away therefore takes your very small chance and still gives you a very small chance.

Later stages and when already ITM each hand contested relates to a much larger % of the chips in play and corresponds to bigger changes in your % of the prize pool. This is why bubble play is critical, you can still leave with zero. Those decisions will have huge $ev and their related ICM implications that need to be considered.

D

discintildeath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chip value increasing as tourney progresses

Chips won early matter but you have to hold on to them longer and once the blinds continue to dwarf your stack you have to win chips to stay in the tournament. The further into the tournament you go and the closer to cashing you get you should value winning chips more than in the beginning because you don't have to hold onto them as long to get into the cash.

R

RUMACASTILLO

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In principle to double your stack you have to put practically all your chips in play, unlike when they are before and blinds higher.