MTT Bankroll

D

Deepstack

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi

Im new here and this is my first post. I have played poker regularly for the last 2 years or so.

One thing i struggle with is sticking to a bankroll management strategy. Its not that i dont have the disipline i just cant decide what is best for me.

So many times i have had a plan in mind but soon afterwards change my mind and try something else.

I can afford a BR of $200 or so and ideally want to play MTTs at a low stake level $5.50/$11. I know my bankroll would not be enough to jump straight in at this buyin but i am willing to build it up by playing lower stakes or S&Gs.

The other problem i have is Bankroll management seems to be a very grey area when i search online as it ranges from 50-300 buyins for MTT. Alot of the time it never mentions field size.

I guess my main questions are

Is anyone else out there with around $200 BR?

What MTTs do you play?

Do you take shots?

Good luck to everyone

edgarpm

edgarpm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for mtt minimum about $ 200 and play tournaments of $ 1 and 3 manage your bank

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
are you ok with reloading your bankroll if you bust? if so, then you can use less buy-ins and take stabs at bigger buy-in games. if you'd rather not reload your bankroll frequently, stick with more buy-ins in the bankroll and play games that fit within your bankroll management plan.

larger fields, longer late registration, and top heavy payout structure means more variance as it's harder to make the final table and win. however, the positive is the huge payout when you do win, it's just going to happen less frequently unless you're able to put in a ton of volume. you'll also go on a lot of downswings because of the variance. assuming you don't want to reload your bankroll, i'd go with a bankroll management plan of 200-300+ buy-ins just because it's harder to run deep/win.

smaller fields, shorter late registration, and bigger pay structures have less variance but you also don't get paid as much when you do win, especially if you're playing on a site that plays top 20% instead of top 10%. you do cash more frequently and even make final tables more frequently, but don't profit as much from a single game. a positive, though, is the games end a lot sooner. i've played mtts that ended in 35 minutes after 60 min late registration has ended, compared to sites that have 2-4 hours of late registration. for these games, i stick with 50-100 buy-ins as downswings aren't as frequent or as long.

cferdi

cferdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi

Is anyone else out there with around $200 BR?

What MTTs do you play?

Do you take shots?

Good luck to everyone

Yep, my bankroll is well under $200, in fact less than £100, lol. But I originally built it from just freerolls. Then things got a bit crazier lately and the variance got bigger, but when at it's highest, I did stick to <$1 MTT's and KOs were good for me.

The other day I took a big chance - on one site, my BR was only $2.64 lmao. I got fed up with freerolls or 1c tourneys and took a chance on a $1. So half my BR on that site was a huge shot. Still, I'd been studying Collin and Katie's CC 30 day course and I think it paid off as I got to #5 and cashed out $20.11, so my bankroll improved overnight. I just don't expect that every day :D

X

xrhstos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With a bankroll of $200 you shouldn't be playing $5 tournaments.
Variance hits even the best players in the game and if it hits you it wouldn't be unreasonable to lose all of it with such an aggressive approach.
The highest buy in I would play would be $2.5 dollar freezout mtts or multi entry sit n gos.
You can still satellite for the $5, $11 mtts but respecting the bankroll management.

D

Deepstack

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
are you ok with reloading your bankroll if you bust? if so, then you can use less buy-ins and take stabs at bigger buy-in games. if you'd rather not reload your bankroll frequently, stick with more buy-ins in the bankroll and play games that fit within your bankroll management plan.

larger fields, longer late registration, and top heavy payout structure means more variance as it's harder to make the final table and win. however, the positive is the huge payout when you do win, it's just going to happen less frequently unless you're able to put in a ton of volume. you'll also go on a lot of downswings because of the variance. assuming you don't want to reload your bankroll, i'd go with a bankroll management plan of 200-300+ buy-ins just because it's harder to run deep/win.

smaller fields, shorter late registration, and bigger pay structures have less variance but you also don't get paid as much when you do win, especially if you're playing on a site that plays top 20% instead of top 10%. you do cash more frequently and even make final tables more frequently, but don't profit as much from a single game. a positive, though, is the games end a lot sooner. i've played mtts that ended in 35 minutes after 60 min late registration has ended, compared to sites that have 2-4 hours of late registration. for these games, i stick with 50-100 buy-ins as downswings aren't as frequent or as long.

Thanks for your reply

I would prefer not to reload but at the same time i have a full time job and if i needed to i could.

I appreciate that with $200. $1-$2 buyins is the way to go but with the large field sizes in these and going 5 or 6 hours deep for very little return on occasions isnt really for me.

I would probably prefer the smaller field slightly bigger buyin. Maybe 45 players S&Gs for example.

Thanks again

D

Deepstack

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep, my bankroll is well under $200, in fact less than £100, lol. But I originally built it from just freerolls. Then things got a bit crazier lately and the variance got bigger, but when at it's highest, I did stick to <$1 MTT's and KOs were good for me.

The other day I took a big chance - on one site, my BR was only $2.64 lmao. I got fed up with freerolls or 1c tourneys and took a chance on a $1. So half my BR on that site was a huge shot. Still, I'd been studying Collin and Katie's CC 30 day course and I think it paid off as I got to #5 and cashed out $20.11, so my bankroll improved overnight. I just don't expect that every day :D

Thanks for reply

I must have a look at the course myself

D

Deepstack

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
With a bankroll of $200 you shouldn't be playing $5 tournaments.
Variance hits even the best players in the game and if it hits you it wouldn't be unreasonable to lose all of it with such an aggressive approach.
The highest buy in I would play would be $2.5 dollar freezout mtts or multi entry sit n gos.
You can still satellite for the $5, $11 mtts but respecting the bankroll management.

Thanks for your reply

Yea i realise with $5 buyins the BR could dwindle very quickly on a downswing.

I think $2-$3 MTTs,S&Gs and possibly a few sats like you said could be the way forward.

Thanks again

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
large fields - large swings

thats why on pokerstars you need even more buy-ins

500 - 1000 buy-ins would be ok

according to player "moertelmu"

a sick mtt grinder with a conservative brm approach

Kiskacsy88

Kiskacsy88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how much do you think you should start building your bankroll with regard to twitch stream?(micro)

P

Powell

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you have 200 dollars bankroll you just play maximum 1,1 dollars buy in.3,3 dollars buy in is too much.

Dkerridge14

Dkerridge14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Such an individual based question

its literally impossible for anyone to tell you what your BRM should be. Way to many variables to consider.
Try looking like this...
1)can you afford to lose this money?

2)is the risk/reward factor you’re currently sat at working for you?

3)do you feel the skill level you are at is adequate for the games you’re playing?

Biggest question is.
4)are you getting the maximum value out of the stakes you are playing with your current management strategy.

Ask questions like this to yourself and work it out for yourself
Also ask yourself about your own playing style and if it’s massively swingy

V

vitormelo3108

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey!

Hello, the ideal value for beginners is usually 100 times your buy-in level for example if you play mtt up to 2.20 the ideal is to have 220 USS and so on. Good tactics are sit & go for up to 1 dollar. Lucy in the tables! :):):)

N

no_girl1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
easy..

Just don't play turbo MTT, or make 250MTT for medium distance. For deep stack 30-50 BI more than enouth.

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think with bankroll 200$ you can play tournaments up to a maximum of 2$. but not tournaments with buyin 5-11$

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management