Moving from freerolls to satellites - what to look for?

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I am slowly moving from freerolls to satellites, to get tickets to bigger tournaments.

What is a good satellite and what do i look for?

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I am slowly moving from freerolls to satellites, to get tickets to bigger tournaments.

That is not enough info to really make a good response. First- what sites are you playing? 2nd what stakes/ buy-ins? 3rd- what format do you want to play.

On a large site like pokerstars, 888, partypoker, you have many choices. If you are U.S. player your choices will be much more limited because of the traffic.

Remember just because you want to play MTT's , you have bounty - your strategy should be very different for these. You have rebuy/ add on , and the unlimited re-entry. There is plenty of strategy tips online, so read up and decide which is best for your play style and fits your bankroll.

There is also Sit n Go's which again are different than Mtt's, many people choose to play these after moving up from freeroll's.

I wish you good luck with your pokeer and though I did not give you an answer, I hope i opened up your mind to consider all the options that are out there. Always enjoy yourself, if you don't enjoy it, even if you are making money you will soon lose interest.

P

pepomjp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think you can try sit and go. If you can place in the money of freerolls you will do better on sit n go

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In general, I would advise you not to play satellites without a bankroll until the required limit. Play immediately with the registration of the required limit in the tournament. Satellites have many nuances, and they are much more dispersed than conventional MTTs.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a good option for you is satellites to the knockout tournaments. This is the best option to begin with to minimize the potential losses. Take a look at such satellites at PokerStars.

ASMautoneJr

ASMautoneJr

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
other than the hyper, and I can find the satellites the way the tournament you'd like to play with regular time, starting chips suited to what you want ....

:heeeellll:saint:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion satellites for low buy in online tournaments are just a way to lure people into playing above their bankroll. For small field tournaments its enough to have 100 buyins as your bankroll, but this does not apply to satellites.

Say you have a 100$ bankroll, and there is a 1$ satellite to a 10$ tournament. Then you are not bankrolled to play that one, since you need on average to play 10 satellites to win one ticket, and then you still need to cash in the target tournament.

So I would much rather play normal 1$ tournaments, and if you make a big cash in one of those and have extra money above the required 100$, then you can use some of that to take a shot at a higher buyin.

If you really want to feel, what its like to play a 10$ tournament, then just buy in and play it. But its more sensible to move up one step at a time, as your bankroll grows. So with 130$, maybe start adding in some 2$ tournaments, with 250$ add in some 3$ tournaments and so on.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The pokerstars there are many types of satellites. For example sit and go. They start at 5 cents.
For example the last time after I won on cardchat $ 1 I registered in the satellite sit and go for 16 people. 2 entrance to the hot 7.50 In this tournament the prize area starts from $ 12.

N

narc

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends a lot on what kind of satellites. I particularly don't like time consuming satellites with re-entries. And I think a game analysis should be done to see if it's feasible to continue on satellites or not, ie always work your games as a database.

Brandlad

Brandlad

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can easily look for Big Fish satellites running on 888. These satellites offer great value to a good payout tourneys.

K

kalelisback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ACR are freeroll satellites and $10 freeroll every hour. Im trying to work up my bank thru these.

For example, for a freeroll satellite, in stage 2 or 3, the bubble boy gets cash while the top few get tix (i try to get cash sometimes :) )

Watcheman

Watcheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends of your wallet.
For example in Pokerstars there are a lot of sattelites of main event like Sunday Million or Sunday Storm.
They have different cost for any wallet.
I play usually in Storm satellites from 0.33$ to 0.55$ and usually win a ticket.
Also you should definite your goal - what tournament is good for you and after inspect all aspects of it.

There is one main point - some tourmnaments I can't take... what ever I do, I can't or can do ticket hardly. So I just decided to not play it.

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can easily look for Big Fish satellites running on 888. These satellites offer great value to a good payout tourneys.

I had success with Big Fish satellites, i managed to get a $5,5 ticket and a $33 ticket. The game with the $5,5 ticket did not last long, i lost with 10,10 against K,K.

The $33 ticket came along very well and i got my biggest winning to date.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I sometimes look for satellites that pay 20 percent of the players playing. Your chances are very small if the tournament only rewards one player for their time.

I also have used the strategy of registering as late as possible. More than half the people have sometimes left the game by the time I enter, making the field I need to beat only half the players vs.
how many players I would have had to wade through if I registered at the beginning of the tournament.

Djon25

Djon25

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You need to play this and that. Through the freeroll I took a lot of tickets, cashed them and put them on the card. But the money doesn’t fall down, you need to sit at least 6 hours.:eek:

F

FelixTheLord

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me playing 3 hours to enter a 3.30 dollar tournament is not the best approach but ofc I'm not an expert at all

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to play this and that. Through the freeroll I took a lot of tickets, cashed them and put them on the card. But the money doesn’t fall down, you need to sit at least 6 hours.:eek:

What do you mean by "this and that" is this a special freeroll?

Poker Tells Freeroll Passwords