More than 50bb at the start of the tournament

O

ovanilton

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you have more than 50 bbs at the beginning of the tournament, do you guys go absent for a while?

Jester36rus

Jester36rus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can sit out with 100 or more bbs, for a time depending on tourney speed.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
No. ... and 50bb's is not that deep.

Early levels when stacks are typically deepest is some of the best times to accumulate chips from weaker players (as well as profiling players to see how they play... what they're capable of... their tendanices & weaknesses ... getting some history with them (ie. setting them up) etc. etc.).

Why would anyone want to sit out during that time?

Senneville

Senneville

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
50 BB you should play your big hands because with all this chips the fishy player will play every hand to hit somethings. Let the field go down a little bit but dont miss a hand. Maybe if you sitting out you gonna miss your double up against fishy one.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No. ... and 50bb's is not that deep.

Early levels when stacks are typically deepest is some of the best times to accumulate chips from weaker players (as well as profiling players to see how they play... what they're capable of... their tendanices & weaknesses ... getting some history with them (ie. setting them up) etc. etc.).

Why would anyone want to sit out during that time?

Agree with this - don't sit out, get information and chips instead! :D

I've been known to "go absent" without sitting out, not proud of it though! :p

N

Narcizzist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't play dodgy hands or anything but I'd certainly try to build a stack with the premium hands.

I'd fold the vast majority of hands though.

Jankou36

Jankou36

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with all others. ^^
Only best hands, maybe sometimes limp with pocket pairs or suited connectors. If you have large stack you can (cheaply) see flop many times and win all opponent chips with threes, straight or flush risking low part of your stack. Just limp from good position, know your enemy, don't risk if flop is not perspective.

Masi2197

Masi2197

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually went away for a while depending on the blinds, besides it is not good to be absent for a long time because you lose knowledge of the players and their bets

K

karkachi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I participated more in the tournament because of the bluff and still have a chance of error that does not change almost nothing in my balance

Navin Sarabjeet

Navin Sarabjeet

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
SR
Chips
When you have more than 50 bbs at the beginning of the tournament, do you guys go absent for a while?

T would advise you to stay right there and focus on the table and especially your opponents, because when you have a lot of bb's its easier to fold and observe how your opponents are playing. Who is bluffing a lot, who is tight, who plays only positions etc...;)
These information will help you a lot during the duration of the tourney and you will only gain more knowledge and have better reading abbility's :cool:
So stay focused, fold and keep on watching:)

1putnik

1putnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, your stack gives you opportunity to make a pressure on opponents, so why don't to use it.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
To be honest if you want to be considered as a decent poker player this is a question you shouldn't had asked at first place. I agree with
Navin Sarabjeet . You should observe how your opponents ''move'' even if you don't participate in a hand. You don't only play with your two hole cards but many more factors will help you out and lead you deep to the tournament. Good luck!

BenSprocket

BenSprocket

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What a bizarre question! You sign up for a tournament so you can play it. Who knows what opportunities you are missing when you 'go absent'.

M

marakhovskii

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Your bankroll is a bait for weak players, and you need to use it carefully and increase your stack, without waiting until your chips are appreciated because the tournament race is just beginning

James_Moria

James_Moria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also will play only with premium hands!

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you want to play hands with the fish, the fish are usually the first players out

rodrigo1972

rodrigo1972

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no I prefer to play and take all the chips of my oponents playing agressive ,you have to take that oportunity to win all chips as you can

S

StraightValue

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd agree with what most people are saying regarding not missing hands. The beginning of tournaments are a wonderful opportunity to get a feel for how your opponents are playing.