MMT. How do you play when when 2 tables are left?

5KINGLEO5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how do you play? aggressively tight or looser?

A

atcj13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The answer really depends on the situation. Stack size, position, the aggressiveness of other players at the table, and many other things can come into play.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the late stage of the tournament, more and more players are shrinking. No more than 20 players. This aspect has an impact on dynamic games. We must define our goals. Is our only goal to win the tournament? Depending on this, we play more loose or more tight. First of all, we must win. Sometimes we will choose from the tournament a little earlier, but we can move on if fortune is on our side.
This is due to the fact that the prize money grows very slowly to the final table, but this is where a huge jump in the amounts paid is already taking place. The further we go in the tournament, the, of course, the larger the prize amount we receive. Therefore, at this stage, we must play tightly, but aggressively, trying to use our chances.
In the middle and late stages, the ratio of the size of the stack to the size of the blinds is small. In addition, often ante also enters the game, which further increases the preflop pots. The average stack in a tournament at this stage in most cases is 25-40 BB. On the one hand, this is still too much to just play All-in right away, but on the other hand, too little to count on a full-fledged game after the flop. Therefore, the correct strategy would be a tight game. Do not pay attention to loose players who play very actively. Our task is to wait for very good starting hands and play them extremely aggressively.We no longer have to call cold calls to raise from our opponents, as in this case we will often be forced to play postflop with marginal hands against the continued preflop aggressor bet. And this is very problematic, because, in the case of a call on the flop, we will often be already quite strongly attached to the bank. At the same time, the pot on the turn will be almost the same size as our stack.

mt2lhd

mt2lhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Of course it depends on the dynamic of the table and size of your stack and etc.. but in a normal situation and a decent stack only thing i think in this stages is jumping up and gathering good stack, i have same strategy for final table bubble and early stages,

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Two tables left, the mentors and pros say: keep an eye at the other table, but I often forget this advice.
Reason: Maybe you can collect useful information for the final table later!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

In the late stage of the tournament, more and more players are shrinking. No more than 20 players. This aspect has an impact on dynamic games. We must define our goals. Is our only goal to win the tournament? Depending on this, we play more loose or more tight. First of all, we must win. Sometimes we will choose from the tournament a little earlier, but we can move on if fortune is on our side.
This is due to the fact that the prize money grows very slowly to the final table, but this is where a huge jump in the amounts paid is already taking place. The further we go in the tournament, the, of course, the larger the prize amount we receive. Therefore, at this stage, we must play tightly, but aggressively, trying to use our chances.
In the middle and late stages, the ratio of the size of the stack to the size of the blinds is small. In addition, often ante also enters the game, which further increases the preflop pots. The average stack in a tournament at this stage in most cases is 25-40 BB. On the one hand, this is still too much to just play All-in right away, but on the other hand, too little to count on a full-fledged game after the flop. Therefore, the correct strategy would be a tight game. Do not pay attention to loose players who play very actively. Our task is to wait for very good starting hands and play them extremely aggressively.We no longer have to call cold calls to raise from our opponents, as in this case we will often be forced to play postflop with marginal hands against the continued preflop aggressor bet. And this is very problematic, because, in the case of a call on the flop, we will often be already quite strongly attached to the bank. At the same time, the pot on the turn will be almost the same size as our stack.

Great response!
Also, keep in mind "ICM"
Look to see which players are not familar with ICM ("ICM-dumb").
Look for spots to resteal vs. LP aggressive blind stealers.

Reason I brought this post back up is because I am sitting beside you in the Cardschat partypoker game with 2 tables left (& also was sitting across from nuttea (< a tough & formidable player... one to watch for sure!!! ... I'd say he is one of, if not 'the' best in those CC Partypoker tourneys). Due to the flat payout structure (satellite style), strategy is quite a bit different (ie. once there's just 7 players left and all are assured of a $22 ticket, ranges will loosen up considerably as the game has now basically become a "winner take all" with 1st place receiving the $109 ticket.

gl gl

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there are only 2 options. If you have a low pot, you should play one good hand, maybe all in. If you have a big Bank, you have to be aggressive and have an advantage. Sitting and waiting for a good hand is a failure. your Bank will quickly move away from the big blinds... what are the other options? I do not know..

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You can't wait for Aces, but you can't play any two cards either. If you have a stack advantage over the players to your left, steal the blinds with good suited cards or connectors or anything you think is playable if they call (or shove). If you lack the advantage over those on your left, consider 3betting those on your right to steal blinds plus open bets.

Another trick is to raise UTG with a decent hand you normally wouldn't, like Q9s. Don't do this more than once, but it signals the table that you have a monster. Only do this when the table is playing scared.

If you are super short stacked (<8BB), look for a chance to get it in. Don't call an all in raise unless you believe you are a solid favorite, but be willing to shove with two good cards. I would rather shove with JTs than call with KQs.

O

OnitheCroc

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
tight

Hi, I always play tight with a hint of aggression in the correct positions , once on the final table take every opportunity to be aggressive.

Last edited:
P

pablo lima

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when I'm playing talking only two tables I play in a very relaxed way always waiting for the best opportunities

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The main adjustment that you should make at this stage is to understand that short stacks (that is, guys with a stack of 15 or less blinds) will now play not only with premiums. Now that they have reached the money, most of these players will look for opportunities to take a chance and get some chips, or even double up until the blinds have grown. Many of them will go all-in with a very wide range of hands, with which they would never play in another situation.Accordingly, you should also expand your range with which you will call all-in raises. And although you would usually fold your hands, like Ac10d, KhJs, or 4d4c, when playing against the short stack that went all-in, these hands become very profitable (well, at least until you yourself are left with a small stack).
This stage is incredibly important in the tournament (post-dough and pre-final). Only 2, or 3 all-in collisions can lead to the fact that you take possession of the chip leadership until the very end of the tournament, or simply fly out of it without reaching the final table.
To play at this stage of the tournament, a certain kind of talent is needed, and the key factor that should control your game at this stage is your stack size, its ratio with the blinds and stacks of other players.
First of all, these changes relate to the initial choice of hands. Those hands with which practically no one will play at a full table often go well in a game with a small number of opponents. For example, you can usually fold As8d, or Qh10d from an early position, or in response to a raise; but in a game with a small number of opponents with these hands you can even play a raise, or re-raise.
It is also important to monitor how your opponents adjust to a small number of rivals. Some do not change their range at all - such players are worth attacking. Others will immediately begin to increase aggression, as they want to accumulate chips along the way to the final table. A player who can notice these changes and respond to this aggression without fear will be able to control the table and build up his stack.Even in the later stages of the tournament, it is worth remembering the jumps in the payout system. In major tournaments, the difference between 13th and 12th place can sometimes be decent amounts.

Serg77

Serg77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the situation. How much are stacks of opponents and mine. What are their game style. My position in the table. I don't think it differ to much from regular game.

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do i do when two tables left

Shoot well you gotta ask yourself: How many big blinds do I have? How tight are the players at my table?. For me i would tighten up and start putting that ICM,which is just figuring out how far you theoretically can make it based on your stack size relative to everyone else's, to work. Short stack gotta gamble, up to you what hand to shove. Usually in a game bigger than a couple bucks the game slows way down at two tables mostly cause thats where the bubble is a lot of the times. Play tight pick your battles well and the more you get there the easier it will get.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I focus on stack sizes more than anything else. If I'm not the big stack I usually playing against the big stack. I look to play the medium stacks because they tend to be conservative at this stage hoping the smaller stacks will bo0w out and allow them to level up. Aggression often pays off against the medium stacks. I look to run over the small stacks but I won't assume that when they shove they are bluffing. Most of the time raising preflop gets them to fold but when they push back with a shove I fold unless I have a top premium hand.

This style of play leads to a lot of folds on my part. I find folding the best tool in the tool box at this stage. I've seen a lot of players come into the final 2 tables with a stack bigger than mine and their overly aggressive play simply buys them an early exit.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good advice in this forum - especially the take on ICM and stack-size considerations: that would be my default answer to the op here.

Adding on to what has been said, I think another big consideration is the payout structure. Even if a featured table is already "in the money", that doesn't mean there are not huge jumps in payout; this is the kind of thing one should have investigated going into said event.

If there are huge jumps in payout coming up soon (like a big increase for reaching the final table for example), then I may tighten up like I was playing on the bubble.

If the jumps aren't unreasonable (or means little for you), then I'd be looking to play aggressively and find good spots to play; we are aiming for winning the entire event - not just striving for x-place. If we limit ourselves psychologically, we may be too timid to get our chips in on good spots because we are too worried about busting.

D

DancingNancie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to open up a bit with 2 tables left. The good pay jumps are at final table and I want a stack that I can leverage to a top 3 finish. Most of the time with 2 tables left players will tighten up significantly to ladder up. You can risk a little to pick up chips. If someone plays back at you, it is reasonable to assume they have a solid hand and can just move onto the next one.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ll let you know if I ever make it that far!

But seriously it all depends on too many factors: your opponent, stack sizes, payout structure, your stack compared to BB, etc.

As long as you make the right move that’s all you can ask for. Let the cards fall where they may.