My mistakes

M

miktux

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okey i play some NL tournaments and from about 300 400 players i always manage to get up to 20 - 30 place and i have almost the biggest stack. But I always make some mistakes and get dropped of tourmanent and dont know what is my problem, can i be to aggresive on late game?

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a pretty broad question to ask answers toi my friend. Could be any number of things but somewhere you are certainly making some mistakes it sounds like. What they are is hard for me to say. Can you be too aggressive late in tournaments? Yes, i think you can. I've stacked off a few times doing just that and its no ones fault but mine.

My recommendation would be to download a free trial of Poker Snowie. It is an AI program for sharpening and self training for your poker game.

Download your trial, import your hand history and have it analyzed by snowie - it will show you where your mistakes were and how well you played. Its pretty darn helpful. Never thought i would want to purchase it but i am seriously considering it. Its helped me fix a leak or two in my game sufficiently.

Good luck to you.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
try to analyze your game after you have finished the tournaments, it is very important for you to correct the mistakes you make, you say you make mistakes and you do not know what the problem is (then you know where your mistakes are during the tournament), write down those possible mistakes that you think you have made and analyze them, if you have any doubts if you commit any mistake in a play published here, there are very good players that can help you analyze those plays that generate doubts

M

miktux

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks you, i lose a lot of my stack by bleffing to mutch not in time or not that mutch in time :D and as i think now one of my problem is i bleff not enought on river and they get the card they looking for in a turn :D
I will definetly try Snowie program

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe you play with a lot of fear to be eliminated and this does not allow you to take the correct decisions

honorwar

honorwar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are big stack you have to explore your opponents with high bets and muck the chips.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

There's nothing you can do you proved your point now they take from you. Its usually rigged. It is something you would need and it helps when they decide who goes for the vacation.

M

miktux

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe you play with a lot of fear to be eliminated and this does not allow you to take the correct decisions
I think thats my problem , becouse when i stop care that mutch i get to final tables :D

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't go crazy with a big stack. You don't have to play every hand once you have that big lead. Patience is key.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Its had to say where you are going wrong but it this happens all the time there is an issue. Look at the hands you lost the most with over the last few months of tournaments. Do you see some patterns? Do you see some odd plays you are making? When I am running bad this is what I do to find the issue. There are time you will see it is just variance working the wrong way for you but at time it could be your play. One thing that's great about having a big stack is you can push others around. Many time I see big stacks over do this my such a great margin its not funny. Many times they are gone before the money hits too. I will see them 3 bet and 4 bet 75o or other not so great hand blowing through 20 to 25% of there stacks preflop with this type of holding. While you have the opportunity to push others around you must do it smartly and logically. Just last night I saw a guy 4 bet a short stack with 95s. The other guy was so tight it was not funny. Instead of asking why the tight guy 3 bet and with what could he 3 bet with he raised the gut 5x pot preflop looking to get him to fold. If the gut was going to fold he would have folded to a much smaller bet. Instead he lost 50% of his chips to pocket aces. Look over your play is a great place to start but be honest with yourself. Some people will never admit to themselves they were wrong and wonder why they never improve.

M

miktux

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its had to say where you are going wrong but it this happens all the time there is an issue. Look at the hands you lost the most with over the last few months of tournaments. Do you see some patterns? Do you see some odd plays you are making? When I am running bad this is what I do to find the issue. There are time you will see it is just variance working the wrong way for you but at time it could be your play. One thing that's great about having a big stack is you can push others around. Many time I see big stacks over do this my such a great margin its not funny. Many times they are gone before the money hits too. I will see them 3 bet and 4 bet 75o or other not so great hand blowing through 20 to 25% of there stacks preflop with this type of holding. While you have the opportunity to push others around you must do it smartly and logically. Just last night I saw a guy 4 bet a short stack with 95s. The other guy was so tight it was not funny. Instead of asking why the tight guy 3 bet and with what could he 3 bet with he raised the gut 5x pot preflop looking to get him to fold. If the gut was going to fold he would have folded to a much smaller bet. Instead he lost 50% of his chips to pocket aces. Look over your play is a great place to start but be honest with yourself. Some people will never admit to themselves they were wrong and wonder why they never improve.
Yes most of the times its happens for me that i lose by giving away my chips, but like yesterday i was having 2nd stack and i start play tight but then i start getting JJ TT and AK and people put all in preflop and each time i called i lose, until i had zero chips, but what i think it was just a bad luck that day.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes most of the times its happens for me that i lose by giving away my chips, but like yesterday i was having 2nd stack and i start play tight but then i start getting JJ TT and AK and people put all in preflop and each time i called i lose, until i had zero chips, but what i think it was just a bad luck that day.

This last post from you shows a bit of a leak. Calling shoves with JJ or TT isn't always the best approach. Perhaps you think your opponents that have made it to the late stages of the tournament are just as aggressive as you and are bluffing a lot. So JJ or TT look like bluff catchers perhaps. Why don't you use an equity tool and check out the actual percentages when you called and lost with JJ or TT or even AK. You may find you were behind more than you realized.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

You maybe right it was bad luck for the day but you should look over these hands as well. You may find that these hand were not played correctly or in the best fashion as well. Depending on the player, stack size and history against the all in player and ICM consideration, all 3 hands mentioned could be folded. Good players dont fold big hands, great players can fold them when it is not profitable to play them.

FearNoRiver

FearNoRiver

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My Mistakes

I sometimes bet to confidently and end up losing from it i am so set that no one can beat my hand.the end result is me losing my seat.

D

Davlic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also have such a problem. I notice that many are starting to play aggressively. I tried, but I can't

1k95

1k95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is very important to understand when exactly it is necessary to show aggression. After all, it is not necessary to cross the border and just constantly bet and raise.

M

miktux

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You maybe right it was bad luck for the day but you should look over these hands as well. You may find that these hand were not played correctly or in the best fashion as well. Depending on the player, stack size and history against the all in player and ICM consideration, all 3 hands mentioned could be folded. Good players dont fold big hands, great players can fold them when it is not profitable to play them.
Yes i get it now, i should fold sometimes when i have a big stack i dont need to risk all the time with hands like that

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
that's one of the things that are common for me, I can be big satck a lot of tournament, but at a certain moment I get out of control, I know I have to be a little more aware of when I should play aggressive and when not, that's one of my so many faults, at the end of all that it is eliminated in the tournament, but the good thing is to recognize where we fail so you can try to correct or apply new game strategies

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, a good piece of advice that I can give you is that as you get closer to the final table play more loose steal more blinds and avoid paying the short stacks.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've had this problem too. What to do when you're a large chip stack? I think it wise to just keep playing the solid game you played to get the chip stack in the first place. Some ramp up their aggression to get others to fold out but I think in the long run, just playing solid will maintain what you have and increase your chip stack as you move forward.

M

miktux

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that's one of the things that are common for me, I can be big satck a lot of tournament, but at a certain moment I get out of control, I know I have to be a little more aware of when I should play aggressive and when not, that's one of my so many faults, at the end of all that it is eliminated in the tournament, but the good thing is to recognize where we fail so you can try to correct or apply new game strategies

Big problem i try to fix now is to not go all in prefloop while i have stack good enaught to play solid game. But they keep seducing me to put all in :D

John Turnner

John Turnner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a huge stack has two advantages:

1) You can safely play your A-game.

2) You have the opportunity to pick up short stacks in a wide range. In this case, you must be able to determine the range of the all-in villain and know the equity of your hand in relation to him. To do this, you need to work with the programs.

If you do not do this, then it is best to give up aggression and play your game.

M

miktux

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a huge stack has two advantages:

1) You can safely play your A-game.

2) You have the opportunity to pick up short stacks in a wide range. In this case, you must be able to determine the range of the all-in villain and know the equity of your hand in relation to him. To do this, you need to work with the programs.

If you do not do this, then it is best to give up aggression and play your game.
What programs should i use? i would want to learn a bit more about equity

John Turnner

John Turnner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What programs should i use? i would want to learn a bit more about equity

poker calculators. from free PokerStove, i use. You assign a range of hands to one villain or two or nine, ask a specific hand or a range of hands to yourself and the calculator counts the equity of the hand. Then you count the pot odds, compare hands with equity, and the result will show you need to call or fold.