Middle Pocket Pairs

T

Tk_Poker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you play middle pocket pairs 99-22 ? Do you raise preflop in position or do you just call and try to catch a set ?

N

Needleburst3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually When stacks are deep if I see people are playing fairly tight I would probably raise it with a decent amount of the time, otherwise set mining never seems bad since you can play for their entire stack.

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on position it really varies

Early position i normally raise anything above pocket 6's

Pocket 5's and below i limp

Late position i raise with any pocket pair

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When the pocket is 99 or 88, it usually increases regardless of the position, lower than that I prefer to call and wait for the flop, unless there is a strong raise before and in that case I would fold the hand. I know it's not the right thing to do, but it's what I usually do

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything depends on the situation and from the opponent and from the stage of the tournament and from personal image at the table. Personally I can put 3 bet, or play to call.

A

abyk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you play middle pocket pairs 99-22 ? Do you raise preflop in position or do you just call and try to catch a set ?

depends on your position:

if you are right after the big blind, you might as well just call (unless you are low stacked), maybe even fold

if you are before the blinds, and not many have raised, then raise

it all depends on your position and amount of chips, if you are low stacked, go all in

I personally prefer to avoid middle pocket pairs as if you get called if you went all in, you are at best 50/50

Aremaz95

Aremaz95

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends on the game situation you are in, yesterday I was eliminated from the CC tournament with a pair of 6, there were 72 players left and I went all in trying to steal the big blind or catch something and the small blind accepted it with a pair of J

R

rdpoker5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only call with small pairs if I close the action or if I know that there are very passive players behind. It is always best to raise, because you can represent a bigger variety of hands on the flop if you have the iniciative. Folding some of the smaller pairs is also an option, it does not cost any money.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The average pairs going from 77 to the JJ are very difficult to play, and require a lot of judgment to be played at profit. I usually bet 3 bets but that depends on several other factors including position? the management of the pot, the number and the level of the players who play on that shot ect ..

when I do not touch the flop and call a strong raise to see the turn.I do not hesitate to fold. on the other hand, if you are in a situation where no one has made a big raise pre-flop and you have not touched a set, but your pair is superior to all cards on the flop. In this case, you have to do a raise. This is the only way to sound your opponents. A substantial stimulus of preference, to avoid absurd calls that would find an improbable sequel or color in two cards, turn and river.

truete11er

truete11er

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually try to call preflop, searching for set/trips on the flop, fold in another case.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise, 4 bet, narrow the field. If you hit on the flop reraise, if you do not hit you may still win with fewer players. If you disagree please comment as I am learning myself.

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I m playing just freeroll at moment. With this hand i nedd limp!!

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I normally limp in with pairs, all depending on position. I find I lose a lot even if I have pocket AAs. I just don't have the luck it seems to hold off and wins hands.

Y

yunghm

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
small pp

I like to mix it up alot especially if i am utg and can expect someone to raise me from position. depending on the stack size and tournament level i might fold something as good as 77 from UTG, or raise 22 by 3.5xBB. It really just depends on what my objectives are for my stack and what I need to make a run at the final table. PP that hit sets are one of the greatest and most disguised hands you can have to if youve got the chips, playing for sets is a great way to double up.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hi
My take on pocket middle pairs is just limp in to see if a set flops.

If any over card flops than I fold to any bet.
As simple as that.

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All depends on what point of the tournament. If I'm sitting comfortably I won't risk too much of my stack pre-flop but if I'm behind I might use that as an opportunity to potentially steal some blinds or double up.