Mid Pairs UTG 8-15BB

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you guys like to pay hands in this range? Mid Pairs UTG 8-15BB, assuming 25-30BB is average stack.

Shoving doesn't seem like a +EV play, since you only make 2.7BB if no one calls. But if you get called you probably at best coinflip if not your getting wreck by JJs or better.

2-2.2BB raise sucks, if you get a caller you are playing out of position and odds are flop going to have cards higher than yours. So you basically set mining if you get called down and probably get out played on the flop being out of position.

Folding, you lose min value on the hand. But that probably can't be the best play.

Limp, check raise?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
jam preflop.

if you have 8 bbs, you increase your stack by 34% if you pick up the pot and up to an 18% increase if you have 15 bbs.

with a shorter stack, i'm happy to get in against a lot of ranges. if i run into a better pair, oh well. it happens but my concern isn't running into a better hand or busting out of an mtt, it's 'how do i build up this short stack' and getting it in with a pair is going to be one of the better options and that's good enough for me, especially if i have 8 bbs. with 15 bbs, i might fold 22 and 33 just because they're so small and i still have a bit of maneuverability, but it also depends on the mtt structure. and maybe the payout structure as well.

in majority of scenarios, i'm more than happy to get it in preflop with a pair utg with a short stack, more so the shorter my stack is.

Last edited:
thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If on a full 9 player table, I would only shove TT+ UTG unless under 10BB. Middle pairs are only called by hands that are coin flips or larger pairs. You will get called by one of the 8 remaining players about 1/3 of the time, about half that with TT+, the other half with two cards over Jacks.

These are possible shove spots for me under 15BB. I may shove tighter or looser, or I may min raise certain hands.

UTG - TT+, AQ+
UTG+1 - 99+, AJs+
MP - 88+, KQs
MP+1 - 77+, KQ
HJ - 66+, KJ+, AT
CO - 55+ QJ+, Axs
Button - pairs, JT+, Ax
SB - any two cards

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a short stack, it is worth any pair of gold. In essence, the position doesn't matter if everyone can hit the all-in with a drum in front of you. As a shortstack, unfortunately, you have to lower your expectations and any pair, especially if it is already medium, is considered a premium card.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a short stack, it is worth any pair of gold. In essence, the position doesn't matter if everyone can hit the all-in with a drum in front of you. As a shortstack, unfortunately, you have to lower your expectations and any pair, especially if it is already medium, is considered a premium card.

By late game, 8-15BB isn't ultra short stack. Lots of time I go into final table average stack is 18-25BB. If you are considering median hand instead of mean hand, good chance you are top 5 with 15BB in a final table of 9 handed.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
jam preflop.

if you have 8 bbs, you increase your stack by 34% if you pick up the pot and up to an 18% increase if you have 15 bbs.

with a shorter stack, i'm happy to get in against a lot of ranges. if i run into a better pair, oh well. it happens but my concern isn't running into a better hand or busting out of an mtt, it's 'how do i build up this short stack' and getting it in with a pair is going to be one of the better options and that's good enough for me, especially if i have 8 bbs. with 15 bbs, i might fold 22 and 33 just because they're so small and i still have a bit of maneuverability, but it also depends on the mtt structure. and maybe the payout structure as well.

in majority of scenarios, i'm more than happy to get it in preflop with a pair utg with a short stack, more so the shorter my stack is.

Agreed!

With the low pairs and 11-15bb, shoving is fairly marginal UTG. I would generally fold 22 for 15bb UTG as an example. But a definite majority of the time, we should be shoving low-mid pocket pairs first-in (from any position) when short-stacked.

P

PrinceJigger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With less than 15bb, I'm shoving 66+ UTG 100% of the time. With 22-55, I would shove in most cases but I would first stop and assess the situation such as the stack sizes at the table, the playing styles of my opponents, my table image, etc.

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It will depend about my reads of the others players on the table, some times I will limp, another's I will raise 2X, another's I will go allin, some players will call you with any ace high, in these comparison of stack you can get paid and join in a 88 vs AKo, per exemple, and you will had a equity of 55.16%, It is not tottaly bad.

M

MakTrue

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this situation, I would most likely throw the cards in the pass, if I’m not far from ITM. Since at the ITM stage they play quite tough and they can easily rearrange you.
If the dough is still far enough, then from the position of the UTG I would probably limp, since quite often there are relatively aggressive players sitting at you in the position at the table. And for any reraise, I would throw cards in the pass.
This is my humble opinion :):):)