Mid to Late stage strategy

b0yzlie

b0yzlie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have studied day and night for a few years it seems to finally be able to make it deep into most tournaments, most of the time. The problem I seem to be having is, I cant seem to change gears at the right time. Ive either kept my starting hand selection too tight and the blinds are about to devour me or Ill change gears at times when I should but choose the worst time to raise, shove, all being game critical intersects. I notice when Im aggressive I do very well but, for some reason I get a large stack and all of a sudden Ive become a chip despenser! I will do really well, be close to the bubble and next thing you know Im out. I either wait too long to get aggressive, I stay aggressive for too long, its like I dont have a lower gear or something. My thinking is this, "Ive got a large stack, I try and remember all the correct things Im suppose to do in the late stages, stealing blinds, position etc. Problem is, I just cant seem to get it right. I will have the best hand but Ive either not raised enough and get pushed out of the pot from large raise, or I raise too much and everyone folds. I know the proper amounts, I think, but at this point Im really getting frustrated and beginning to think Im just a wannabe player. Ive won a couple freerolls on UB, placed 8th out of 12k entrants on pokerstars freeroll. *best show yet* but the amount of times I bust out right before the bubble or in the late stages is staggering. No one see's those. who cares. If I could only fix my leaks maybe my stats would look like I have some idea of what Im doing! If you have any ideas of tips Id really appreciate it. :confused:

sammyfive

sammyfive

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that when it it comes time to start stealing more blinds, playing the players is very important. You can't just look at your cards and decide to raise, you have to see who still has their cards, and if they are someone who will most likely fold to a bet.

I have been burnt many times by trying to steal, and then some guy defends, and ends up hitting a hand. After once or twice of the same person defending their blinds, it may be wise to make sure you've got a strong starting hand, or not steal at all.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
only thing i can suggest is making your raise amounts smaller, this way if someone 3bets your or defends its cheaper.. of course they are more likely to defend their blinds so you will need to be able to play well postflop...

now without knowing exactly how you play. it seems to me like your desperatly trying to hang on to get into the money, and once your in you simply dont have enough chips to make a run at the big money... but again, dont know until i see you play :D

basic strategy, semitight early, then loosen up, when nearing the bubble, try to play as aggressively as possible, target those who are seemingly trying to get into the money, then once the bubble burst tighten up a fraction, then loosen up again :D

b0yzlie

b0yzlie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for responding to my post. Sorry it has taken me over a month to get back to you, after posting took a really bb and backed off for awhile. That said, its a new year and Im going to really try and taken my game to the next level, whatever that my be and go from there. Im going to leave another post so by all means take a look. Thanks so much and Happy New Year much luck to you at the tables. :)
only thing i can suggest is making your raise amounts smaller, this way if someone 3bets your or defends its cheaper.. of course they are more likely to defend their blinds so you will need to be able to play well postflop...

now without knowing exactly how you play. it seems to me like your desperatly trying to hang on to get into the money, and once your in you simply dont have enough chips to make a run at the big money... but again, dont know until i see you play :D

basic strategy, semitight early, then loosen up, when nearing the bubble, try to play as aggressively as possible, target those who are seemingly trying to get into the money, then once the bubble burst tighten up a fraction, then loosen up again :D

T

tdude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well you will need to shift to different gears in different situations for the tournament. If you are playing against really tight players late in a tournament you should play looser. If you are playing against really loose players in a tournament, you should play tighter. There is not an objective answer on how to play mid-late in a tournament.

T

Tonawanda

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with sammyfive. You have to be able to gage the opponents aggresiveness (probably the most important time in the tourney). Have seen players firing all over the place stealing blinds. Because they almost always follow up with a raise or two, when you hit, you are in a position to take much of their stack and then some. I have found that the stealing blinds combined with the right blend of traping overly aggresive players can be very advantageous.