Micro online tournys

K

killercon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ive been playong in some micro online tournys any where from .25 to $6.60. there horrible the rebuys are incredible when staring the tourny there might be a couple hundred by the time regestriation is over there will be a couple of thousand. and the prize money isnt all that great to place only money worth winning is 1 or 2nd. is it a waste of time and money

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the species of the tournament. And then poker is just a game unless you are a professional. Usually just wondering spend the evening playing in a tournament and what to try to take the best place in it. If you exit the final table and even take one of the three places you will win a fairly large amount relative to the size of your buyin to the tournament.

A

Arthur ZM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, not without reason, they are called micro-limits, the key word here is micro. If you want to win more money then play at higher limits.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well what do you expect? Most online MTTs have a guaranteed price pool. And of course poker sites are not going to promise to pay out 6.000$ in a 6,6$ tournament, unless they are reasonably sure, that at least 1.000 people are eventually going to play. So just because you only see 143 people in the lobby, when the event start, does not mean, there is going to be a massive overlay.

You can find some smaller MTTs online. 888 Poker have quite a few of them. At 6.15 AM CET for instance there is a 5$ tournament with a quaranteed price pool of 300$, which usually see less than 80 entries. This makes it a lot easier to reach the final table, but you are obviously also going to be contending for smaller prices.

I have won this exact tournament two times, and for me this kind of event suits me much better than competing with more than 30.000 players in the half price Sunday Storm for a quaranteed price pool of 150.000$.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Micro mtts most of the times have too many players fighting for the ITM places. As many the players are, the most difficult is to get in the money. They could share the money more equally through the money structure, because as you say, only if you get in the final table you take a respectfull reward!:bebored:

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking to make money to the point where you can live off of it then yes micros suck. If you are looking to get some play without having to risk a lot and being able to net enough to use to then play in a bigger tournament then they are not so bad. Just depends on what your goals are for poker.

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be honest I can't be bothered with micro tourneys for those reasons, and rebuys make them even worse. So because micro is my level I only play freerolls and micro cash games. There is much better reward playing the cash tables in my opinion.

T1ltmonkey

T1ltmonkey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I pretty much agree with OP. I prefer smaller tourneys, say 500 players or less. Spending forever battling 15 000 opponents, the prize money need to be better than micro tourneys can offer. Sure, bigger tourneys = bigger prize pools, but as a recreational player there is a limit to how much time I can spend on poker. Which is why in general I prefer cash games, where I can quit whenever I want to or need to.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
is it a waste of time and money
Nope. I often min-cash in the same events you speak of. Min-cash is not something that makes me happy at all. Final Table is the goal, and ultimately top prize.
If you play to min-cash I don't think any player will be happy playing micro MTTs.
If your goal is to make the final table and win the event, when you realize those goals, you will come to see how much worth playing in those events are.

It is also VERY gratifying to have the endurance and run the gauntlet of all the spots a player finds themselves in during a long event like that. Out lasting all the spots for 3, 5, or even 8 hours.
Having to deal with very aggressive players, who you bust out and then they rebuy and come back to your table. Dealing with bigger stacks trying to play table bully, all the LP vs blind play. Making it past late registration, where the hyper aggressive players loose there crutch to rebuy, then busting out several short stacks trying to double up just prior to the money, or directly after the min-cash bubble pops.
Folding strong hands preflop - to conserve chips and find better spots to chip up, folding and folding and folding some more and then finding prime pressure points - to push on smaller stacks when ICM becomes a strong influence.
Making solid calls vs overly aggressive players who shove any pair or any marginal Ace. Sucking out once or twice - and feeling strongly that you knew your hand would hit!! :);)
Calling down when your sure you are beat - but have a strong draw - only to make the best hand on the river to be compelled onto the final table, folding folding and folding some more - finally getting a solid hand enough to defend, or steal with - and getting a double up at the right time just when you needed it. Then doubling up again with a premium hand.
Making final table and placing in the top 3 - SOOO WORTH IT!

Disclaimer - I very much love the MTT structure and events, even when card dead and getting sucked out on by a shoved 44 on the river to beat my KK. F that guy! :) Good thing I'll see him tomorrow, and have taken advantage of his loose play numerous times in the past.

I pretty much agree with OP. I prefer smaller tourneys, say 500 players or less. Spending forever battling 15 000 opponents, the prize money need to be better than micro tourneys can offer. Sure, bigger tourneys = bigger prize pools, but as a recreational player there is a limit to how much time I can spend on poker. Which is why in general I prefer cash games, where I can quit whenever I want to or need to.
Hey Monkey - what's your handle on SwC - I play the Daily Crumb - almost daily and Tiny Turbos every once in a while. same name as here on the forum.

T1ltmonkey

T1ltmonkey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Monkey - what's your handle on SwC - I play the Daily Crumb - almost daily and Tiny Turbos every once in a while. same name as here on the forum.

Same name on SwC as here.
The Crumb is at a bad time for me (2.30am...), but I do jump into the Tiny Turbo now and then. See you around! [emoji3526]

MrAlabama

MrAlabama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking to make money to the point where you can live off of it then yes micros suck. If you are looking to get some play without having to risk a lot and being able to net enough to use to then play in a bigger tournament then they are not so bad. Just depends on what your goals are for poker.

well said. it's all relative to your position

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ive been playong in some micro online tournys any where from .25 to $6.60. there horrible the rebuys are incredible when staring the tourny there might be a couple hundred by the time regestriation is over there will be a couple of thousand. and the prize money isnt all that great to place only money worth winning is 1 or 2nd. is it a waste of time and money

Such is the nature of MTTs and the stakes you are playing at will certainly contain higher numbers of bad players in the pool....so what is there to complain about? I grew a $10 roll by playing freerolls and .50c games on ACR. And I did it while I wasnt as good of a player as I am today. While i am not the best, i am confident for sure.

Anyhow, all the money for MTTs is at the final table - obviously huge portions of it go to the top 3 generally - this is pretty normal at any buy in level. The player pool is mostly terrible, that's a good thing! Perhaps you aren't making the right adjustments to handle that sort of player pool? Nonetheless, I promise you, if you cannot beat the $5 games and under...you will struggle with $10-$15 games and you will get eaten alive in the $20+ games. There are still enough fish at those levels too, but WAY more sharks start coming out around $20+ or so.

O

Oldopoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play good you get that big score one time . But then you need to stay on this limits and not loose your mind and go higher stakes bca u lose it all .

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Rebuying is something I have not tried. If I get knocked out because of a bad beat or a dumb move on my part, the last thing I want to do is go back in on half-tilt.

I attempt to use this information when I see a player return. They are frustrated, hopefully not playing their best game. They are wanting to build their chip stack and not afraid to go after a pot they think is theirs.