Mental Block

S

stevenparker91

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently I have been playing quite a few of $10 on demand freerolls at america's cardroom. I have been keeping track of my finishes. Which for 7 of 10 I have been ranging in the mid 30th-60th range. Each time after I have been knocked I can point to a couple errors I made that led to my demise. Is there possibly a mental block here in my game? I have gone late in tourney's short stacked and being well over the chip average. I was wondering if there is any late in the game tips, or if I need to just keep trying to break that wall. I'm not used to making it as deep as I do in tourney's with over 600 people.

Brandlad

Brandlad

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When we play in Mtts where players mob are more than 1000. In my case it is near about 5000 in 888poker freerolls. Our main aim is to survive few rounds against All in freaks then try to build decent chipstack. Now I start my freerolls from 1000 chips and then try to build it more and more.Once game enters into Mid level say from Rookie to experience player then the real test of knowledge takes place. This time mostly say 4000 players r out of the game. Only 1000 survives. Now at this level our strategy is to play few hands but quality one only. Time passes .. Now only around 500 players remain. Competition get tough as we r among pros. No one in the mood of easy surrender. Here Positions and hands and Chipstack matters. If we somehow survives in this level then we r in final 50. At this level chipstacks r of decent size. Here Mental games take place like 3 bet raising and shoving. And in final 9 it is more about mental toughness and skill.
Now Mental ability and skill improves with experience only. I mostly manage to move deep into tourney. The key is if u play tight u r mostly manage to move deep in tourneys. But the disadvantage is you will have lower chipstack than other players that is why u will not last longer in final 50. Now if u play aggressive chances of getting out early is high.
So the ideal strategy is play tight at initial stage of the game then play aggressive at middle stage of the game and in the final 50 play according to the table behaviour. I.e. if at a particular game table 5 out of 9 players playing tightly then just try to steal the pot with decent cards. Use shoving techniques against them . But if u r among aggressors then be a tortoise and play only Nuts. Never exempt low stacks at mid level of the game.
In the end experience with little luck would bless u.

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure, there can be many blocks/difficulties in late stages of the game. Perhaps one common could be named "Feeling not ready to win".

It is very specific term that I use myself. It arises from mental unreadyness to win. There is such thing. One thing is to think in mind that "I want to win, I want to win!" (What else one could want, right?) But the other thing is to hold on when victory ACTUALLY approaches. A player must be able to endure the presence of possible victory/high achievement and that is another thing a person who wants to actually acieve victories - must train to do! I am serious!