• Thread starter AsbestosInferno
  • Start date
A

AsbestosInferno

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all, just wanted a bit of advice and see if I could have done anything better / folded my hand here.

On a table of 9 in one of those silly freerolls, I was dealt 88 on the first hand. I'm on BB and by the time it comes round to me, 5 others have pushed all-in. I call - and lose. Did I make the right decision?

R

Rybod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a tough call, but generally I would fold in that case. 5 players ahead all have a face card / A or another pocket pair as well in most cases.

You will have loose players with 10 2 offsuit as well, but not all 5. in that same situation, even AA would be a marginal call because with 5 other players in , the odds of winning get a lot smaller.

You want that hand with 1 or 2 players only.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Generally anything more than 2 players in the hand with you will increase your variance greatly. You didn't mention how the action reached you. If other players were already raising and calling raises, your shove usually will get called as well by both stronger and weaker hands, especially in a freeroll that doesn't mean anything.

tame4g

tame4g

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a habit of doing the same thing in freerolls occasionally. Mathematically it's an easy fold, but hey, at least you saved yourself a lot of time!

abwil2

abwil2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
being its a freeroll its no biggie but i wouldnt have done it and wouldnt do many things that are bad habbit. 5 ahead of u allin AA isnt even a favored id toss Any pair preflop and hope i had suited connectors. Any higher card has u beat with 5 in front of u all in so all u can hope for is a 2 outer. People today think way to high of middle pairs. Not saying u do but that is the thought with that move. Most play freerolls cause they dont have any money on a site so either u hit big trying to hit a 2 outer or suited connectors
Good luck

A

AsbestosInferno

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for these great responses. I got a long way in a Hyper-Turbo last week playing patiently and tightly. It's a big personal challenge of mine to win one of these silly things. I've gotten to the final table twice now in a couple of weeks so will take advice here and avoid as much as I can these all-in cascades!