Maths vs. Estimating vs. Complete Guessing

P

Pokerton

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How often do you employee math into your decision making?

Obviously there are different levels of calculating aspects of the game, how much time and thought do you put into getting the answer you want before making a decision? Or is it more often then not a combination of short cuts and estimations?

Does the hand and the variables around it change how much you focus on mathematical precision?

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I use math in helping my decisions all the time. A hand I am willing to call the flop with goes into the muck if the odds I am getting make it not worth my play. Preflop it is also math I use at times. Say I have 33 with 2000 and the blinds at 75/150 no ante. A early position player makes it 450 to go. I cant call as the odds I am given are not good enough. Its either all in or fold at this point.

Cajin007

Cajin007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In regards to your question I go with the 30% rule.
30% I'm guessing, 30% estimating probabilities, 30% calculating odds.
That way I have all my options open in making the choice I am facing, and I try to be consistent in my timing, but sometimes you just have to tank.

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The math I use for every deal I go into the Bank, after all, in every hand you think your outs. .

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now in poker, more and more mathematics, and fewer elements of psychology. The number of crazy bluffs, slowplays, uncontrolled aggression and insane traps decreases. In order to at least somehow earn, you have to take into account these trends. I play zoom cash strictly in mathematics, in tournaments there is always an element of psychology. In the presence of weak players, you always need to change the strategy for maximum benefit.

G

Gambit123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maths wise I try to make sure all the money goes in only if the percentage to win is in my favour.The only math I do at moment

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I believe that math in poker plays a very important role. Although, I am convinced that any mathematical calculations must be combined with the intuition of the player. As you know, our experience, combined with mathematical calculations and intuition, will allow us to gain victory.
Good luck.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use math mostly post flop where you can get a better idea of your outs. Pre flop I just avoid calling the shoves or the big bets. If I'm holding AA or have a premium hand but I also have a small stack with the blinds a problem then I don't worry about math.

C

Cloxy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never, I always try to feel if I have better chances or not. But maybe it is because I'm not familiar with poker math enough. Could someone send some practical articles or videos about poker math?