Making it to the final table in tournaments

O

ozaloa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't make it to the final tables so often, i think it is because i play the tournaments with a lot of enrolls,you just need really much luck to get out of thousands of people.

Rusel2302

Rusel2302

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe so, but with a small number of players is not a fact.that you'll get to the final table.Luck plays an important role in poker

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
MTT FT is not the easiest task in the world but in order to reach it I think you should ''risk'' some spots prior to the ''near FT phase'' , usually in the middle stages of the MTT and after ITM. We need to maintain ,if possible , a healthy chip stack at the entire tournament.Don't be afraid to gamble with a good hand when you are short stacked and don't get blinded out!

You may have done everything right so far and still you haven't done it , that's logical because MTTs have a lot of variance compared to a 9 max SNG for example! But when you reach it the award will be huge , especially in the top 3 places!

ps. If you are talking about a freeroll with thousants of participants then this task is not doable :p

Best of luck!!!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Making it to a final table is always a good achievement and not impossible. You also need to remember the bigger the tournament the less often you will make it to a final table. Many people forget this fact. If you play one event every day with 1500 people in it you should only make the final table once every 152 times you play on average. If 3000 or more you may only make it 1 time in a year. Don't think of the final table as a result but work to put yourself in position to have the opportunity to make the final table. It will happen for you and it will be a nice achievement to make. AKMost had some great advice in this thread and you should listen to him. I only disagree with his comment it is not doable on free rolls. Not easy for sure but can be done.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Yes, you need a lot of luck, but you also need a lot of concentration and knowledge, especially if they are very extensive tournaments, in which many players are registered, it may not be easy to reach the final table, but it is something that can be achieve, I think that regardless of whether there are many players or few registered, you must be very focused

John Turnner

John Turnner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't make it to the final tables so often, i think it is because i play the tournaments with a lot of enrolls,you just need really much luck to get out of thousands of people.

This is the main question for me.
The first thing that comes to mind is "in a 5k tournament, you have to be lucky to get to the final table." This is true, but this is not the complete answer.
The full answer is: I have to beat all these players, I will study poker to learn to identify weak players and win chips from them, I will build a bankroll to play regularly so that the luck factor comes to me.
Understand. All the arguments you bring about external factors (kilo-field, no luck, bad weather, bad beats, etc.) are all meaningless until you started working for yourself.
I want to say that you, like me, dont know poker well enough and that is why you lose huge EV and barely crawl to ITM. This is the problem of most players and mine too.
Learn more and good luck:)

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
The first thing that comes to mind is "in a 5k tournament, you have to be lucky to get to the final table." This is true, but this is not the complete answer.
The full answer is: I have to beat all these players, I will study poker to learn to identify weak players and win chips from them, I will build a bankroll to play regularly so that the luck factor comes to me.

Yeap very good point here , you should understand what kind of player you have to compete.Identify the calling stations and the regulars.Almost in every buy ins you will find weak and strong opponents , it's +EV for your overall performance to exploit the calling stations whenever you have a good hand/combination and maybe some times to bluff the good regulars,maybe with believable story and some nice blocking hands, because they find more easily the fold button! Short story long:adapt!

The larger fielded MTT maybe seem scary but there are more fun players in those , if you build a nice stack then you can leverage the game in your side!

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Well depends on AFS (Average Field Size) no matter how good you're if it's bigger than 1k your chances to get till there are small. You're going to need patience, you're going to fold lots of hands, no doubt there will be a lot of dead stacks from bad players try to involve pots with them. In my opinion they're harder because you're going to have focus and discipline more than 6 straight hours, and in a mental game when you get tired that can cost you everything with few hands.

O

ozaloa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well depends on AFS (Average Field Size) no matter how good you're if it's bigger than 1k your chances to get till there are small. You're going to need patience, you're going to fold lots of hands, no doubt there will be a lot of dead stacks from bad players try to involve pots with them. In my opinion they're harder because you're going to have focus and discipline more than 6 straight hours, and in a mental game when you get tired that can cost you everything with few hands.

Thank you for your comment and you are definitely so right.I always prefer the tournaments where the blinds don't go up so fast when there are so many players because no matter how patient you are and how well you run, the faster the blinds go up the the less your chance is to go further. Because you will need many hours when there are so many players and even if you don't get busted by another one, you will just melt like an ice-cream with upgoing blinds lol:)

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It takes patience to make the final tables now, with all the players that want to go all in so much.

John Turnner

John Turnner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I do not want to quarrel with anyone.
Maybe I did not understand. But it seems you contradict yourself.
At first you say that the larger the field, the less chance there is of the final table (this is true), and then you say that in this case you have to wait, endure, fold many hands. There is a contradiction! If there is little chance, they know they need to look for and grab. Wait is a bad strategy. Many articles and books have been written about it. It is a fact.
I can agree with this strategy only if you use it in the early game. The first 3-4 hours of the game, until the end of late registration. And then you can not pull, you have to look for those very small chances.

John Turnner

John Turnner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for your comment and you are definitely so right.I always prefer the tournaments where the blinds don't go up so fast when there are so many players because no matter how patient you are and how well you run, the faster the blinds go up the the less your chance is to go further. Because you will need many hours when there are so many players and even if you don't get busted by another one, you will just melt like an ice-cream with upgoing blinds lol:)

Sorry. You asked a question in order to find true or at least get advice on where to go in order to achieve your goal.
Or in order to find a soul mate who sympathizes with you?

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not want to quarrel with anyone.
Maybe I did not understand. But it seems you contradict yourself.
At first you say that the larger the field, the less chance there is of the final table (this is true), and then you say that in this case you have to wait, endure, fold many hands. There is a contradiction! If there is little chance, they know they need to look for and grab. Wait is a bad strategy. Many articles and books have been written about it. It is a fact.
I can agree with this strategy only if you use it in the early game. The first 3-4 hours of the game, until the end of late registration. And then you can not pull, you have to look for those very small chances.

Well i think you just didn't understand, fundamentals says that you have to play -30% of hands dealt, and guess what, folding more 70% of hands means folding lots of hands (and that during hours can become boring) :D. Of course you can win holding garbage exploring position or when sense weakness, but still that wasn't my point, maybe with you read again your brain will work properly ?

Last edited:
John Turnner

John Turnner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well i think you just didn't understand, fundamentals says that you have to play -30% of hands dealt, and guess what, folding more 70% of hands means folding lots of hands (and that during hours can become boring) :D. Of course you can win holding garbage exploring position or when sense weakness, but still that wasn't my point, maybe with you read again your brain will work properly ?

Again. This is not a complete answer.
You play 30% of strong starting hands.
Other players at the table play differently. Someone 15%, someone 26%, someone 50%, someone 60% and so on. This means that you will never play 30% of your hands preflop unless you know how to adapt to the situation, to specific villains. That's why you fold a lot, wait.
That's why I say that the reasons are not luck in each of us, and not in 1000k players. Need to learn poker. Learn the style of the villains, learn to rebuild their ranges. Some hands to transfer to 3bet value, some to cold call, some to 3bet bluff, some to isolate fish. It depends on the villains game. And you just play cards and fly with aces.:burnout:

O

ozaloa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry. You asked a question in order to find true or at least get advice on where to go in order to achieve your goal.
Or in order to find a soul mate who sympathizes with you?

That was just my opinion,i respect everyone's ideas and advices.

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I've made it to the final table maybe about 7 times in the last 3 months I've been very lucky....

Every tournament i take a look at how many entered and at what position i left the game and i see I'm averaging 1 in a 100 in the big enrolled games... lol the biggest competition is like the Pokerstars $5000 Weekly WOW sometimes as much as 28,000+ opponents so i'm finishing 1800 odd i consider that to be Awesome numbers, even though it not a win and is worse than my average its some distance...

You are right Less opponents mean less Bad Beat Stories and increased odds of dodging them bullets and making it to the final table...

I have much more success with less than 180-200 opponents and when i do I'm always in the bubble at finish, taking a little cash with me... just a little!

Biggest pay out was $56 i came 1st in January on a 888Poker $500 GTD Level Up ticket!

I think its important not to forget bad luck beats years of skill and experience hands down, (when trapped especially)...

I sat at online table a while back and had Kid_Poker_NJ (Daniel Negreanu) sat four positions to my left and he kept buying back in every time he would go all in and again he would buy back in with another 5 starcoins we had a laugh he said how the live tournaments wouldn't let him back in again (I think it's more like his wife wont let him in) he paid in about 7 times while i was on the table and left the tournament..... WOW

It doesn't matter who you are, you've got to have luck on your side to make it to final table...

:D

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO it depends on the tourneys you re playing. Cheap to freerolls you're always going to have trouble getting down to the final tables. It also depends on whos at your table during those events , if its people donkjamming everything and you're not getting the right hands you're going to get smoked. With mid to higher priced tourneys with less of a field its easier to accomplish because you'll have less of a chance of running into the guy who just doesn't care about the buy in. You're going to lose …...its going to feel like you're losing more than you win but it's about overcoming the punches that get thrown your way learning from what got you bumped out and what you can do better next time. Peoples ranges decrease a little in higher buy in tourneys (my opinion). In the end if you're strictly talking freerolls then yeah ...Good Luck

E

eutot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a lot of talk about how to make it to FT, but there is no easy or guaranteed solution. I made it in the money at a lot of MTT but only once to FT, and that was a small no. of players tournament. The main thing you can do is to analyze your oponents and play your A game. Sometimes you need to risk everything, and this is where luck comes into play. In every tournament there was at least one hand in which i could have lost everything but i didnt and moved on. One thing is sure at MTT, its all about survival. Making a nice stack is also nice, but if you focus on that you will most probably lose. Also, if you get eaten by the antes, thats also not a good strategy. You need a balanced play, and for that you need to have confidence and trust your rules. Its easy to get scared when short stacked or get arrogant when big stacked and make mistakes.

Survive, survive, survive. Thats the rule.

M

miktux

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Saturday i did it to the final table in about 2.5k people. Then next day i did 377 of 6k people other day to 22place today i did 400 of 3.5k and then 78 of 2.5k and when i lose in late game its being my mistakes i do bluf that lose me my stack or call when im sure im lose. Like 22players left my stack 7 of 22 and i do 3 barrels bluff all in and lose to flush. Could sure pull to ft.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
short stack strategy 

A strategy in case of which became short stack has to establish it to reach a final table.