Made it to heads up would could i do better next time

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I made it too heads up in my pub poker league tournament. The blinds where 500-1000 i was in the bb i had 11000 left and villain had 18000 villain calls the sb and i check my bb with j-9 off. The flop goes 9-3-2 rainbow i bet out 1000 chips half the size of the pot that had 2000 chips in it the villain snap calls. On the turn the q comes out again i bet out 200 chips half the size of the pot villain again snap calls me. On the river the 2 hit the board.i have 8000 chips left and there was 8000 in the pot so i decided too bet 2500 the villain snaps and goes all in i had only 6500 left in my stack and im getting i think 2-1 too call. My first thought was he might have a queen in his range but villain has a tends too play loose and sometime he tries too make a play. My thought process also was that the blinds go up too 1000-2000 and if i fold i only have 6500 chips left. I was left in my mind with this decision either he has a Q or he has nothing so i decided too call. Too my surprise he flipped over 4-2 and he made trips on the river too win the tournament. Afterwords i was criticized for not folding my question too u if u were in my shoes would u have folded or not.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Perhaps you had to make more aggressive bets on the flop and turn in order to get the villain's cards out of the pot. For the rest, for HU - this is a good solution, you can not just throw away your older pair.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You mentioned the flop was rainbow... How about the turn and river, was a flush out on fifth street?

I don't think you played terribly but with 10bb behind I probably jam that flop to avoid tens, queens, kings and aces outdrawing me.. Any pair is strong heads up so the deuce probably calls sometimes but we win more than we do as the hand played out.

You also mentioned that the villain tended to play loose and make plays, which would generally incline a call but I'm not sure how often a snap shove over the top of your bet is a bluff in this kind of spot.

Overall I think you did really well, even getting to heads-up is a win in my mind because it's much more flippy once HU... I'd wager most deals are made HU! Lol.

1st or 2nd finish [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Last edited:
eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Way to go!

I made it too heads up in my pub poker league tournament. The blinds where 500-1000 i was in the bb i had 11000 left and villain had 18000 villain calls the sb and i check my bb with j-9 off. The flop goes 9-3-2 rainbow i bet out 1000 chips half the size of the pot that had 2000 chips in it the villain snap calls. On the turn the q comes out again i bet out 200 chips half the size of the pot villain again snap calls me. On the river the 2 hit the board.i have 8000 chips left and there was 8000 in the pot so i decided too bet 2500 the villain snaps and goes all in i had only 6500 left in my stack and im getting i think 2-1 too call. My first thought was he might have a queen in his range but villain has a tends too play loose and sometime he tries too make a play. My thought process also was that the blinds go up too 1000-2000 and if i fold i only have 6500 chips left. I was left in my mind with this decision either he has a Q or he has nothing so i decided too call. Too my surprise he flipped over 4-2 and he made trips on the river too win the tournament. Afterwords i was criticized for not folding my question too u if u were in my shoes would u have folded or not.

Congratulations on running deep.

On the river when you have shown strength on every street, you have to ask yourself the question, why would he think I will fold? If you cannot come up with that answer then your opponent probably does not think you will, so you should fold.

Rule of thumb in those situations, use a bet fold strategy on the river. So few players can bluff rivers at your level of game that it will seldom be wrong.
There is a saying a chip and a chair. The 6500 left in your stack when you fold falls into that thinking.

Keep grinding ,enjoy the success of getting heads up.

:):)

Last edited: