Looking for advice for 10k chop

madjek

madjek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is very premature but thought I'd ask, and if it happens have some time to look at cc advice.

So live room I play at has started a monthly promo for tournament players. Basically top 30 players get chance for 10k. Basic rules are, top 5 qualify for the 10 seat final table. Top 30 play 3 table tourney to get other 5, top 5 also get to play this so if they get to top 5 in this, will be less than 10 at final. Everyone at ft gets 500 bucks (any top 5 player also getting top 5 in qualifier gets extra 500) . Then it's winner takes all (remaining 5k) . anyway, I didn't make it last month, but cashing in only to tournaments I played so far this month, I think I have good chance, but I've heard that last month they chopped right away at ft, which had 9, so they each took like 1100 total. So question is, do you agree to this chop if you make ft or do you go for the extra 5k? You get 500 no matter what, so you are risking around 600 to take a shot at 5k

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would go for the 5K,,,prob won't be the popular choice,but u cant live your life based on what others think of you,especially strangers. Go for the Gold! Then share your good fortune with your loved ones.:dancing2:

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw the FT of EPT Barcelona, and they made a deal, which I would have agreed gladly with these amounts. But 500 in my pocket and 8 or 9 players to beat, I would not even think about sharing MY TROPHY prize :):flute:

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would not have a problem taking the cash if the final has not started. Having the money in the pocket is always a good thing. You also have to think of the variance in a winner take all. You need to be honest with yourself here. Are you the best player or one of the best players there or are you in the middle or worse. If you don't believe you are one of the better players taking the cash now is a good thing.
So how do you feel about playing a $600.00 tournament since if you don't take the deal that is essentially what you will be playing? If this is out of your comfort zone I would take the money now.

My advise is take what I said above and be honest with your self and the answers will come to you. If it was me, I would take the money.

Good luck.

WhereDidMyEVGo

WhereDidMyEVGo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I had 8 people staring at me wanting to chop I'd probably give them the chop.

T

TJH90

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd probably chop if whole table wanted it, although leaving maybe 1k in for winner would make the game actually relevant!

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'v seen massive chip leads get blown apart in 2-3 hands. Don't let peer pressure cost you money. If I calculated all the variables and I felt like going for the 1st place was feasible then I would do just that even if the table was yelling at me.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on your chip stack and the others around you. Although at any point even with the chip lead your still taking a risk. I was in a decent tournament where we were down to three. First prize was over $46,000. I had the chip lead and I wouldn't chop. I got knocked out first on the river no less. I had Broadway and he caught a full house. I had to settle for just over $15,000.

madjek

madjek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on your chip stack and the others around you. Although at any point even with the chip lead your still taking a risk. I was in a decent tournament where we were down to three. First prize was over $46,000. I had the chip lead and I wouldn't chop. I got knocked out first on the river no less. I had Broadway and he caught a full house. I had to settle for just over $15,000.
I wouldn't call 15k settling lol. Very nice cash. Tournament I'm talking about though they seem to like to chop before it starts, so no stack sizeto consider. Its a promo fr

B

Brutus790

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would consider whether or not I could take the $600 extra from the split and enter other tournaments (maybe 6x$100) and do better than the $5500 that first place would pay.
Being that all the other players want the split it would be tough to force the game to happen--they could gang up on you and split once you are out.

SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't call 15k settling lol. Very nice cash. Tournament I'm talking about though they seem to like to chop before it starts, so no stack sizeto consider. Its a promo fr
I'm confused by this? You don't take your chips to the final table from the field of 30? Everyone starts with same amount when you get to ten?

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Take the gtd cash or take a shot at what would probably be a luckfest, :hmmmm: I'd take the gtd cash everytime. :D

:bandit:

I'm confused by this? You don't take your chips to the final table from the field of 30? Everyone starts with same amount when you get to ten?
That's exactly what he means.

:top:

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
On a winner takes all table, I'd definitely take the chop. Even if you fancy yourself as the best player at the table, luck will still play a part.

madjek

madjek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On a winner takes all table, I'd definitely take the chop. Even if you fancy yourself as the best player at the table, luck will still play a part.
Yes I def agree, taking chop is prob the logical thing to do. Its just 5000 is such a nice payout, and it's all a freeroll, just makes hard for me. Would be a lot easier for me if you didn't get the 500 for making the table, then I'd def chop, I would risk getting nothing, but giving up chance for another 5k, to just get gtd 500-600 more, Idk, I may risk it, or at least wait til down to 5, for 1k each

F

formertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
definitely chop, but here's an idea....play for the empty seats.

so of the top 30 2 people finish in the top 5 so there's only 8 at the FT...you've got 2 with 1,000 and 6 with 500, then chop everyone 500 more and play for the remaining 1000.

still an exciting game, but everyone walks with a better, less risky amount. i'd even say chopping everyone 600 or whatever leaves just a few hundred to play for.