Live Tournament Shocker

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So my buddy was playing a survival tournament. This is basically the top prizes are all the same of 1k each and if there is any layover, it would turn into the last prize. He was down to the final table and holding a smaller stack. Top 4 get paid and 7 left. All of a sudden, there are 2-3 all-ins, and the chip leader thinks for a while and folds. He folded and announced to the table that he had AA. Everyone was in shock and he would have won with it. How can you fold that here? He was up against mediocre hands. He has a chip lead and would still be in okay shape. Am I crazy to think he's crazy for folding in this spot?

T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on how much of a chip lead he had. If his win was already in the bank, why should he risk his own placing just to get other people in the money

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's not optimal play but it is still logical play, as he knows AA doesn't play well in multi-way pots and he very well could have created a quadruple stack rather than a triple stack.

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So my buddy was playing a survival tournament. This is basically the top prizes are all the same of 1k each and if there is any layover, it would turn into the last prize. He was down to the final table and holding a smaller stack. Top 4 get paid and 7 left. All of a sudden, there are 2-3 all-ins, and the chip leader thinks for a while and folds. He folded and announced to the table that he had AA. Everyone was in shock and he would have won with it. How can you fold that here? He was up against mediocre hands. He has a chip lead and would still be in okay shape. Am I crazy to think he's crazy for folding in this spot?

Like in satellite tourneys with 4 tickets once you've got enough chips locked up to secure prize you basically shut down as whether your 1st or 4th you win the same. AA is only guaranteed to be best hand preflop and with 3 all ins could get beaten easily leaving him short stacked and at risk so folding aces here is the optimal play as crazy as it seems

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your example is used to answer the question if its ever ok to fold aces preflop. Its the standard play.

7 left. 4 paid. 2-3 multiple all in means aces are not in best shape. He stands to lose more than to win in the long run. Since there are no pay jumps there is no need to accumulate more chips but to preserve. After the all in, there would be one or two bust which means he is even closer to the itm and he is still the chip leader. Unless the difference in stacks as a chip leader is really huge thats the only spot you legitimately should fold aces.

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Like in satellite tourneys with 4 tickets once you've got enough chips locked up to secure prize you basically shut down as whether your 1st or 4th you win the same. AA is only guaranteed to be best hand preflop and with 3 all ins could get beaten easily leaving him short stacked and at risk so folding aces here is the optimal play as crazy as it seems"

this. if there is not point of playing and you win , why would you risk? you take these spots with 99,A5s,JKo not beacuse you are eager to get called but beacuse you have to, so...

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can fold into success what is the point in playing any hand? Let a lone a 40% chance of failure with that scenario.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This isn't a satellite tournament however, and there are no tickets. You are the chip leader and are dealt the best hand preflop. When two shorter stacks shove, how is it not an insta-call?

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This isn't a satellite tournament however, and there are no tickets. You are the chip leader and are dealt the best hand preflop. When two shorter stacks shove, how is it not an insta-call?

Because all the prizes are the same.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Easy fold if it was me. The prizes are all the same so growing his stack means nothing when it comes to the money. He is pretty much guarantied money so again it means nothing. If he calls and becomes a medium stack and somehow the result if this hand causes nobody to be knocked out it could put him into position where he will need to play a hand or 2 to now get into the money. I fold here every time if it was me.

Organize a Home Poker Game