Limp from UTG

B

Brawo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone, I'm glad you see this tread.
Let's start

What do you think mostly when you see limp from UTG?
Suppose that you don't know opponent.
Suppose that you are on the MP and have playable hand like A2s - A9s, pairs 77-99 or suited brodway QJs
What would you do with this range? Limp and show weakness or raise? maybe fold? players behind you don't know too.

If you see someone made decision like limp from UTG, are you terrified?
Maybe you use that strategy to see flop cheaply with marginal hands?
Whai is your observations at the table?

K

ksandr010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In 99% of cases, in the utg position, I will either fold or raise. Why is that? Because I have a lot of players behind me and I don't want to give them a cheap look at the flop. Since I will play without a position, I do not want to lose the initiative. The exception when I can play limp is a small pair, I want to watch the flop cheap and get into the set. The second situation is when I have AA, and I have a very aggressive player sitting behind me who I want to provoke to raise.

B

Brawo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, but there are a few questions to you yet :D What is your action with that range on MP when UTG limps?

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my experience at lower stakes, UTG limps are polarized to marginal hands that aren't strong enough to raise UTG but wants to take a cheap flop, and the absolute top of someone's range (AA/KK). Whenever I see a limp/re-raise from UTG I am extremely cautious and need to hit a better than one-pair hand/monster hand on the flop to continue.

B

bealpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't exactly agree nor do I think you should have a limping range from utg.

80abukaH

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone, I'm glad you see this tread.
Let's start

What do you think mostly when you see limp from UTG?
Suppose that you don't know opponent.
Suppose that you are on the MP and have playable hand like A2s - A9s, pairs 77-99 or suited brodway QJs
What would you do with this range? Limp and show weakness or raise? maybe fold? players behind you don't know too.
Not knowing the players behind I would probably fold if I am deep enough.
If I see that they also tend to limp I would play those profitable hands hoping to hit a flush/set for a cheap price.

If you see someone made decision like limp from UTG, are you terrified? No, I probably consider them as polarized as very good players of very bad ones. ABC poker tells you not to limp from UTG.
Maybe you use that strategy to see flop cheaply with marginal hands? Only if I know opposition very well and can exploit postflop.
Whai is your observations at the table?
What I see is crucial for all the decisions I would take in this kind of scenario.

See my answers just above.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of the time people limping are just bad players, and they have a very wide range. If someone limps UTG with a stack, which was short enough to open jam, that is the time, my alarm bells go off a little bit, because it could be a limp-trap with a hand like aces or kings. But in the big picture this is absolutely the exception.

Of course if you have HUD-data, it is pretty mandatory to use them. And if an otherwise tight and aggressive player like a 14/12 suddenly limp UTG, that is certainly sending rings of smoke into the air. This might be the time, where I just call with a setmine and fold everything else.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the odds are better that the utg player is a weak player with a mid-range hand he doesn't want to fold but can't bring himself to raise. Since your scenario has me in MP I would be concerned about the players behind me. I think a standard raise of 2-3 bbs would be the best approach. With a small raise I have no problem folding to a shove or large raise from a late position player.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you will only see this move at the micro and low stakes. It usually means one of a few things.

1. They are just bad players and will limp often from all positions no matter what types of hands they have

2. They have a pocket pair that is small like 2s though 8s and they dont think they are good enough to raise early but they can't get themselves to fold it

3. They have a monster hand and are trying to trap someone.

The easy way to find out if #3 is true is on the flop they will usually bet something close to pot. They are then looking to get in value if no one raised pre flop and they were not able to raise pre flop after there was a raise behind them. If UTG limps and then bets pot on the flop, it is usually best to just fold unless you see them doing this move very often.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limp from UTG has its advantages. You have carefully watched the table and know that the players will raise their bets after you. For example, you have good cards for 3-bet, but you are not ready to risk all-in. You make the decision to call or fold, depending on the bets of others . People will think that you are a bad player, so it 's time to surprise them. After getting a monster hand, make a limp, the opponents raise the preflop and you can make a huge re-raise. I've seen Phil Ivey do it.

Last edited:
Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my opinion limp is a bad game that doesn't make sense. when I see a limper - I consider him a weak player

nikoszwtos93

nikoszwtos93

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you limp 100% from UTG, you are gonna get crushed by players who will adapt by raising regularly and taking free money. Just build some solid ranges (push/fold or minraises depending on effective stack) and follow them. If you meant to limp every hand you would play, while folding the rest, you are giving a chance for a lot of players to see a flop for free when you could take chips from them instead.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Well ... if a player does "Limp" from the UTG and I do not know him or have notes on his game ... well if I am in PM with hands like A2s, QJs or 77-99 ... I raise of 3bb to start investigating what that opponent might have ...

B

Brawo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you will only see this move at the micro and low stakes. It usually means one of a few things.

1. They are just bad players and will limp often from all positions no matter what types of hands they have

2. They have a pocket pair that is small like 2s though 8s and they dont think they are good enough to raise early but they can't get themselves to fold it

3. They have a monster hand and are trying to trap someone.

The easy way to find out if #3 is true is on the flop they will usually bet something close to pot. They are then looking to get in value if no one raised pre flop and they were not able to raise pre flop after there was a raise behind them. If UTG limps and then bets pot on the flop, it is usually best to just fold unless you see them doing this move very often.

Yes, you have right. I'm playing micro and low stakes, so let me ask, what does it looks like at higher stakes?

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, you have right. I'm playing micro and low stakes, so let me ask, what does it looks like at higher stakes?

I am probably not the best to answer this because I play at the lower levels myself. I put in my answer "I think" you will only see this move at the low and micros. I would tend to say that anyone doing this in higher stakes is only doing it to throw a curve ball and would not be something they do consistently.