Life after CC freeroll club tournaments

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In recent weeks, for lack of time I have limited myself to playing only club tournaments. You always see some ridiculous things in the early stages but not many. Today I entered the intertop tournament and the two of ACR, all open to all members, and I have to say, they are wild! I had forgotten this kind of tournaments. The contrast with the club tournaments is huge and may sound very "weepy" but I find them almost unplayable. It seems impossible to take low variance options, all are all-in preflop and straigth and flush breaking premiun pairs. I was lucky with my aces but my kings did not resist the variance.
I just wanted to comment. freerolls are a fish party. Reason for more to rate the club of this forum.

:D:rolleyes::p:cool::eek:

At what level of buy-in, you think, is the field more similar to CC tournaments?

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any buy-in tournament is more serious than any freeroll since people invested at least a big in them. So.. any

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
What is the problem with variance?

Especially since:

1. You have often better cards pre-flop and post when the money goes in against loose and wild players.

2. It is a Freeroll so you only pay with your time and not any money.

3. If you play against tighter opponent that also knows how to play endgame in tournaments you pretty soon (since the CC-freerolls have a pretty fast structure) come to a situation where the blinds are so high and the stacks so shallow that it becomes a pre-flop all-in or fold game.

That is also high variance.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is the problem with variance?

Especially since:

1. You have often better cards pre-flop and post when the money goes in against loose and wild players.

2. It is a Freeroll so you only pay with your time and not any money.

3. If you play against tighter opponent that also knows how to play endgame in tournaments you pretty soon (since the CC-freerolls have a pretty fast structure) come to a situation where the blinds are so high and the stacks so shallow that it becomes a pre-flop all-in or fold game.

That is also high variance.

What an excellent comment, big like!

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The way I see it is this:
1. Are you a good player?
2. Are you playing for fun or for money?
If you are a good player and want to make money stay away from freerolls, even from Cardschat freerolls since that's simply not enough money to be made to be worth your while.

On top of the CC leaderboard sits MtCashman who made an impressive $3582.46 or an average $600/year since he joined CC in 2013. If he played only 200 freerolls a year and lasted only an average of 2 hours in each tournament, his hourly rate would be 1.5 dollars (most likely is even lower than that).

I never played against MtCashman myself, but just because he is a 6 year veteran and is on top of the leaderboard with a comfortable $1000 advantage over the second place, one can safely assume that he is the best or at least among the very best CC players.

A good player playing a 1/2 dollar table has an expected win rate of $20/hour live, and even more online due to faster hands and possibility of playing multiple tables, so at least 8 times more than the rate of the best CC player playing CC freerolls.

So in my opinion, one should play freerolls for the love of the game, as a form of entertainment, not as a way of making money.

James_Harrison

James_Harrison

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The way I see it is this:
1. Are you a good player?
2. Are you playing for fun or for money?
If you are a good player and want to make money stay away from freerolls, even from Cardschat freerolls since that's simply not enough money to be made to be worth your while.

On top of the CC leaderboard sits MtCashman who made an impressive $3582.46 or an average $600/year since he joined CC in 2013. If he played only 200 freerolls a year and lasted only an average of 2 hours in each tournament, his hourly rate would be 1.5 dollars (most likely is even lower than that).

I never played against MtCashman myself, but just because he is a 6 year veteran and is on top of the leaderboard with a comfortable $1000 advantage over the second place, one can safely assume that he is the best or at least among the very best CC players.

A good player playing a 1/2 dollar table has an expected win rate of $20/hour live, and even more online due to faster hands and possibility of playing multiple tables, so at least 8 times more than the rate of the best CC player playing CC freerolls.

So in my opinion, one should play freerolls for the love of the game, as a form of entertainment, not as a way of making money.

Well they can help build a bankroll for grinding micros too.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In recent weeks, for lack of time I have limited myself to playing only club tournaments. You always see some ridiculous things in the early stages but not many. Today I entered the intertop tournament and the two of ACR, all open to all members, and I have to say, they are wild! I had forgotten this kind of tournaments. The contrast with the club tournaments is huge and may sound very "weepy" but I find them almost unplayable. It seems impossible to take low variance options, all are all-in preflop and straigth and flush breaking premiun pairs. I was lucky with my aces but my kings did not resist the variance.
I just wanted to comment. Freerolls are a fish party. Reason for more to rate the club of this forum.

:D:rolleyes::p:cool::eek:

At what level of buy-in, you think, is the field more similar to CC tournaments?

Hey, I've just noticed, congratulations on your first place on the ACR anniversary tournament and $975 win. Exactly the kind of tournament you considered unplayable yesterday :) It makes starting this thread look like a premonition :)

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well they can help build a bankroll for grinding micros too.

Freerolls are fantastic, the ideal way to build a bankroll to be used at micros. In time, with freerolls not only you gain a bankroll in the safest way possible, but also gain experience which is essential in cash games regardless of stake size. But a player building a bankroll to be used in microstakes is not the kind of "good player" I was referring to in my post, where I was talking about players with superior skill, above micro stake level.

Killdalimper

Killdalimper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are definitely beatable. Matter of fact I've been doing pretty well in freerolls since Ive joined ACR. I've had several final tables in $10 on demands and have won about $60 alone from Venom step freerolls. ( opting for cashing rather than winning the next ticket). You just gotta open up your range a little and play exploitative poker.

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey, I've just noticed, congratulations on your first place on the ACR anniversary tournament and $975 win. Exactly the kind of tournament you considered unplayable yesterday :) It makes starting this thread look like a premonition :)

Thank you. It really looks like a premonition. I was lucky not to have many speculative hands at the beginning: premium or garbage. That facilitated my decisions.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you. It really looks like a premonition. I was lucky not to have many speculative hands at the beginning: premium or garbage. That facilitated my decisions.

Congrats on the win - the fish parties can really pay off when it goes your way. ;)

Definitely agree that playing carefully at the start is a viable strategy against very loose players. That being said, embracing the insanity and building big stacks is often the better way to go - some quick finishes, but you'll make deep runs more often.

Keep up the good work! :D

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cardchat tournaments is a level above the normal freerolls for $ 50 but below the tournament with an average buy-in on PS. I want to say that this is a freeroll with a level of micro buy-in. If you feel comfortable playing it you can safely think about switching to the average limits of the game in normal regular mtt

Last edited by a moderator:
cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my experience with pokerstars, I think that CardsChat freerolls are more similar to SnG with a buy-in of 0.50$ on 45/90 people.