late tournament strategy reads

A

anthony c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I played in this tourney and i have about 20 000 in chips and blind are 500/1000 on pokerstars.got send to new table and the big stacks raises most of the time but i cant see what cards they raise with and dont see any flops and dont know what to do:dontknow:

How do i know what are there tendencies and what must i look for to find info on them and how can u read how they play??
WHAT RANGE SHOULD I BE RAISING WITH AND SHOULD I RAISE OR GO ALL IN WITH 20 BB LEFT?.Other tips on late tourney play i am missing would be much appreciated

Ty

Last edited:
C

cheaptrix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
too many variables to answer all your questions in one post. but i will try to answer some. whenever you get sent to a new table your going to want to play ABC for at least 1 orbit. if your on the bubble you will have a good idea who is stealing and who is just trying to sneak into the money within 10 hands.

i have a friend that will timeout every hand on the bubble. exploit that relentlessly. if players are purposely timing out on the bubble they are almost never calling you so just open shove (or 2.5x) ATC if only stallers are left to act.

with 20bb's you have a gr8 3-bet shove stack. but don't 3-bet shove against monster stacks with marginal hands. even though the big stacks are usually opening ATC on the bubble.. many will also call a 20bb push with a very wide range. so our 3-bet shoves should be for value until you know this opponent will back down.

once you get in the money then you should tighten your range. the shorties will be looking to gamble now that they are getting paid.
probably a million other things that could be said. hope this helps.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be patient, look at the big stack raisers as an easy double up. Whenever I'm in the situationof being a big stack i pretty much play the situation instead of the cards. Even if they get called by one in four hands they raise the play can still be profitbable for them so it doesn't actually matter to them if they lose one or two as they are still gaining chips.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have a bad seat with to big stacks to the left and and on to the right you will have to reshove with good hands arpun top 5 - 10% late tournament play is very positional depending, however if you have a medium stacks at your right you should raise very often. this is the stage at the tournament where things starts to get complicated. ;-)

A

anthony c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you guys those tips will be helpful
good luck at the tables

B

bigphatmike

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played in this tourney and i have about 20 000 in chips and blind are 500/1000 on pokerstars.got send to new table and the big stacks raises most of the time but i cant see what cards they raise with and dont see any flops and dont know what to do:dontknow:

How do i know what are there tendencies and what must i look for to find info on them and how can u read how they play??
WHAT RANGE SHOULD I BE RAISING WITH AND SHOULD I RAISE OR GO ALL IN WITH 20 BB LEFT?.Other tips on late tourney play i am missing would be much appreciated

Ty
when agaisnt very aggro players i think its a treat when i got at leat 20 BBs. You can patiently wait for the aggro stack to bully u when u have a primo hand such as AK AA KK QQ JJ AQs AJs etc. I would personally be reay to pop him up some enough to get good value and protect your hand.
Let me know how that works!
TTYL

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it folds to you in the SB, shove.

Tighten your opening range if there are resteal stack-sizes left to act.

Resteal vs. late-position openers.