Late stages of MTTs

M

Mann1ng89

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Morning all,

I've been playing micro stake games for about a year now as I learn more about the game. I play a decent amount of sit and go games as well as low stake tournaments on 888 and Stars.

I won a $16.50 and $33 Big Fish ticket (both over the last couple of days) and last night I tried my hand at the $16.50 game.

In the early part of the game I was doing extremely well. I was first or second for a long time, with over 500,000 chips.

But as the game went on I started to struggle as the lower stack players (with about 100,000) started going all in as we moved closer to the bubble. The problem started as I moved table, was sat with more aggressive players and I never seemed to make a hand.

I eventually cashed but at the lower end of the payout as more and more people scooped up smaller (but sizeable) pots.

What's your tips for growing your stacks in the late game and trying to get those higher payouts?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Steal the blinds as much as possible and 3-bet light especially against shorter stacks than your own. Sometimes though, if you are card dead, there is just nothing, you can do, and it is not at all unusual, that the early chip leaders dont run deep.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To always adjust for the ante—most players (even a lot of the good ones in my experience) tend to under-account for it. To make sure I avoid this, I multiply the starting pot (all antes + blinds) x .66= the ante adjusted big blind. Though I may still do things like opt to min raise with a 10 ante-adjusted big blind stack (because most others will perceive me as having, say a nominal 15 big blind stack), I’m actually employing those (more loose) 10 big blind ranges.

Secondly, just keep in mind that not accumulating chips in tournament doesn’t mean you did anything wrong! In fact you cashed and therefore actually did better than average. While poker is of course a skill game, a single tournament is rarely indicative of our full abilities.

GL in the next one and hope this helps! [emoji4]

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Steal the blinds when you can. An optimal way to do this is not min-raising, but raising 2.5x-3x the blinds, because it looks like you are ready to commit and it will get more respect.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Steal the blinds when you can. An optimal way to do this is not min-raising, but raising 2.5x-3x the blinds, because it looks like you are ready to commit and it will get more respect.
I agree. stealing the blinds with reasonable aggression and wider in late positions

C

curiplop

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In those moments you have to make the power of the chips appear, play against those who have less than you and run the risk of being eliminated, usually the game becomes tighter so you can take advantage of that and steal a few blinds per lap