Late Stage Tourney HUD Adjustments

swannymojo

swannymojo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After making it to the final table in a tourney, you generally will have a good amount of hand histories with the players there. If they're loose, how often they raise, how often they limp call or apply pressure from the small blind etc.

Those stats can be detrimentally misleading in the given scenario

Final table: 8 players left. You are in 4th place with 35 bbs. The sb has 13 bbs. 300 hands 30 VPIP 25 PR: Raises from SB 25 percent.

I'm dealt 9/9 in the BB. Field folds around to the SB who jams all in. Just under half my stack to call. I dont remember seeing him raise one time at the final table after 30 hands or so but looking at his stats i called him off seeing that I'm way ahead of most of shoving range.

Villian wins with AA.

I don't think my call was all that bad but it does lead me to a question.

When late in the tourney and players play entirely differently and raise a much much tighter range, how much weight do you really give your hud? Do you reset it so you only see final table stats? I'd love to know what adjustments you make, here?

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont remember seeing him raise one time at the final table after 30 hands

Alarm bells should be going off here listen to your gut good luck:D

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
At those stages, you have come from a long time game. You should have too many informations about the game and about the other players. This applies and for the rest of the players. You are in a "function" "now or never"! So you will see more risky and boldest actions, and more critical duels!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You made the correct call here and just ran into a monster this time.

You are correct stats can be misleading late in a tournament but using a HUD for helping us have a better read on the types f player they are is not the end all to be all. Just think of all the time you see a guy playing a maniac style early on the notice there stats late on are more of a tight players stats. I could be a run of hot cards or they are willing to gamble early on but when there is money possibility come they will tighten up to a nit. I will use the HUD to get a base read on a player but I pay attention to what has been happening as of late even more. At the final table it is even more evident players are many times looking to just make more money that going for the win. I do get what the are doing but it does make the HUD stats at time not very helpful.

So for the hand in question, He definitely tightened since if you don't recall him playing a hand for so long. This could be due to truly no cards worth playing or just trying to move up unless he has a hand. Based on his stats i would lean towards just total trash being dealt or not have the right hand to play when it came to him. He also is probably starting to worry about getting short and since it folded to him in the SB I think he still will push a bit wide even though he has been tight. 99 is to good of a hand to fold to him here as I still think he will shove on you with so many hands you are beating at this point makes it a call. Yes you are most likely a flip but taking a 55-45 flip here is worth it in my opinion.