Late stage play MTT

5KINGLEO5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you play in the late stages? I am many times before the prizes and I get nervous and lose big pots.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Relax and enjoy the game!Take less risk and play less hands.Then the nerves will be calm and the chips are intact)

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In the later stages of the tournament, I am not nervous, I try to be focused and look forward to the mistakes of my opponents. Your nervousness can lead to mistakes, and keeping calm only helps you concentrate.

vsawake01

vsawake01

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Press button only after the time has elapsed. Don't rush. Have a plan for hand

M

Majari_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are a big stack you can pressure others but while being short stack you should play really tight. Take your time, don't rush into decisions, that's why you have the shot clock.

AmidamaruRu

AmidamaruRu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
relax, the late stages are not very different from the middle, just keep playing your game, if you have a big stack, try to crush your opponents

T

thefly1973

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the late stage (before you are ITM) it can be usefull to observe the players after you. How big is their stack? are they calling bets a lot? tight player?
Can be usefull to use when you have the chance to steal blinds when yuo are in late position.
When they have not a very big stack they will not easily call an allin from a shortstack player as the bet will be more than 30% of their stack.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you take some time to study poker (the 30 day course here in Cardschat is a good start) you will start to develop a good sense of how tom play hands well. Just remember that the pros learned a long time ago that you can do everything right and still lose to variance. The trick is not getting upset, putting it behind you, and getting ready to play again. If you can adopt this attitude you will see that nervousness disappear.

M

mike1113

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pay close attention to stack sizes, learn how to play a short stack. Generally as the tourney gets deeper you want to be tighter and tighter, unless you're a big stack in the final 2-3 tables then you want to get really aggressive

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take risk with good hands and not fold before river. :)

ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Were, for some reason, everything that got you to that position has quit working, no one is folding to you , all boards are missing you , etc. plus the excurating long time to finally get to the ft

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nerves, this is the problem of a small poker experience. It should pass with time, don't worry. You have to understand your system (strategy) for the tournament. How you should play, you must clearly understand your actions. Of course, it is impossible to be high in the table every time, this is a feature of poker. But after the relegation, you should not have any thoughts that you played wrong, stupid and lost. You can lose because of failure, it's okay, it's not a big deal! You should study your opponents well, determine which hands to play and how to play, and follow this strategy every tournament

Late stage you must approach, at least with the average stack of the tournament, otherwise you can not count on high places. If you have a good average stack, play correctly and the percentage of hits on the final table will grow. If you go near the end of the late stage list, it means that you are playing the middle part of the tournament incorrectly, and it is necessary to analyze and change the style of play in the middle of the tournament.

Q

Qrise

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you play in the late stages? I am many times before the prizes and I get nervous and lose big pots.

It was also such that I was nervous at this stage of the tournament, but now, thanks to my vast experience, I already feel more calm at this stage of the game. I noticed that at this stage of the game I started to fold my cards more than usual. :cool:

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's only one way to cure being nervous - you have to experience that situation many, many times... but eventually, you will be so used to it, you will no longer feel nervousness or anxiety. Repetition is the key - repeat it over and over until you are used to it. Of course, its not easy to get a lot of practice for the end stage of a tournament, you have to play a HUGE amount of tournaments to get all that experience... but that's really the only way to do it in my opinion. This is why I even play on poker stars even tho we "free" Americans are banned from real money play on Stars by our own government... but we're allowed to use the play chips, so I play all day on Stars with the play chips... because I'm still getting valuable experience in poker this way. I don't care if it's play chips and people don't think it is "real poker" - it most certainly is real poker, and it has been very valuable for building my experience with the game. I no longer get nervous at the end of tournaments!!! I only get positive emotions now - happiness, excitement, those kind of emotions. Negative emotions are gone, because I've been able to play thousands of hands of poker over the years. Good luck at the tables!

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

It is often said that playing in the late stages is very different from playing in the early stages of a tournament, and playing that players get to the late stages will no longer help them win the tournament. So in tournament poker, not only are you playing in high blinds against weak opponents (which happens on average in cash games), but if you're lucky and you get to the tournament stage, where most of the prize money is located, you will play this format. in which most of your opponents have either very little or no experience at all.In addition, they will be very overworked, and also terribly nervous, since there is now a decent amount of money at stake, and thus they will be prone to make serious mistakes. And you know that the mistakes of your opponents are what makes the money in poker!therefore, you need to tune yourself psychologically for the entire tournament as a whole, in order to be mentally stronger than opponents in this

C

chalghaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

need to be more patient and just play the same playstyle that got you there !
Best of luck !

T

thefly1973

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have rules for MTT

I prefer to be the initial raiser and seldomly call a raise (unless my cards have potential the pott odds are good --> little pairs and suited connectors)
3bet only with monster hands. (or if you face a player that plays to many hands and folds to 3bets)
Avoid multi-pots (unless you can enter cheap/free)

T

tschuwon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are you guys never nervous during the tournament? I land up in showdowns so many times. All the while my heart is racing. That is why for live poker im far too inexperienced.

7CardKillR

7CardKillR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MTT late mid stages? stop playing for the chips and start playing for the money. ICM, FGS, bankroll considerations all come into play when the money is close. when you get to FT it is almost never about chips its all about the money. Basically Id rather go out 2nd with 1 chip back that go out 3rd with 1/4 the chips back.

C

Colleydawg31

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually depends on my chip count how I play late stages. easy said,right ? lol

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I also get nervous, this makes me not play regular hands which is a serious mistake

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you want to improve your skills and climb the limits, you will need to master the Independent Chip Model (ICM) game. It is a mathematical model that provides guidance on how to play in the later stages of tournaments. It takes into account the dollar value of your stack, its size relative to the chips in the pot, and relative to the total number of chips in play.