XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
In the past I’ve always thought it best to register at the beginning of MTTs to try to build up a stack, but I find sitting through hours of late reg. (I play on ACR) gets really tiresome after a while. So lately, I’ve been experimenting more with late registration, trying to figure out how late I can register and still have a big enough stack to put pressure on opponents. I’ve gone as low as 15-20 BB and have been relatively successful in doubling up early and then trying to ride my average stack deeper into the tourney, at least in freerolls and micro stakes MTTs. Any thoughts about late reg. and starting stack size? What’s the minimum stack size one should have to enter a tourney?

onione6ix

onione6ix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Know your push fold ranges on the short stack I always keep charts up. I Don't see anything wrong with it. I have had success with it many times. 15-20 BB is the lowest I will enter at. Like you stated, I can normally join late and win a few large pots or flips heads up. I could be wrong but the strat works .

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In order to properly assess your possibilities during late check-in, you need to look at a few numbers in the tournament lobby. First, the size and growth rate of the levels of the blind. To sit at the table is better with at least 20 BB. However, if the game is approaching the prize zone, it is possible less. If the prizes are still far away, you should have about 20 BB. Secondly, and this is much more important than the required amount depends on the average stack size of the players who are already playing. It may happen that players with much larger stacks will be around you. This is completely unacceptable in bounty tournaments. However, entry to a late check-in tournament often saves a player’s time very noticeably. Especially in rebuys or re-entree tournaments. What is the point to play a half or two hours to once again buy the chips? Just start closer to the prizes!