Late registration, 5 advantages

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Late registration, a lot of members are against it. For me, I often late register when I don't have 3+ hours to dedicate to a MTT tourney.

1. Not starting with the total field, I miss the first stage when all the donks shove, with or without decent cards.

2. Since the blinds are up, relative to my stack, it's easier to make big decisions.

3. Joining a tourney that is on-going, shortens the amount of time invested the tourney.
4. Haven't cashed when registering late, I am just pointing out a few upsides.
5. With late reg, it's freer, expectations are different. Probably won't be ITM, so it's not the end of the world, one way or another.

Just my thoughts,

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find late registration, the blinds can be too high and you don’t get to play as much poker and are more into an all in or fold situation.

Also, don’t discount those donks, they can allow you to double up fairly easily.

I think there are more downsides than upsides. Less invested time is the only plus but rather invest more time and cash than less time and not.

T

Thestardustsoul

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends..

I agree that starting a little later in the tourney (especially freeroll) eliminates the initia dinket hose where people with nothing to lose go in with any two cards.
If you join LR when the blinds are 100/200 and you have 2000-5000 chips I see it as a pro. But don't wait too long to join LR, So depending on where you start it could be beneficial.

Kanetuck

Kanetuck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It doesn't bother me at all on a freeroll, but I am not a fan of late registration with an entry fee. Typically if you can double up once or twice you will find yourself at the average chip stack.

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to register late on these tourneys that have 3 hr late reg. Usually there is an add-on and by the time I do that I am average chip stack. Play tight/aggressive and I have finished ITM several times.

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
entering your late registration, your stack will be small compared to the blinds and your attention will need to be redoubled to avoid making the most mistakes and be aware that you will practically be in the push / fold situation that can put you in a better position in the tournament, or take it already in the first hand that plays. I prefer to enter the beginning of a MTT has its advantages, because you can, mainly with patience build a healthy stack to be able to release a little more your game to the tournament logo, however it is important to emphasize at the beginning is to play with caution and try to avoid difficult decisions that can put your tournament at risk. but there and from each one.

fingers182005

fingers182005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
getting in late like that you need 2 be pretty dang good. if its the last level of late reg you need 2 make moves kind of fast. cant always sit around waiting sometimes your wait turns out to be a mistake your making in a poker tournament.

vitorbonatto

vitorbonatto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There always be the pros and cons of strategies in poker, you have to adapt to what fits better to you. If you are the kind of grinder that puts more effort in volume then other things you will end up with less hard decisions and less frustration, what may be good to your mindset and to your poker sessions in general.

LJG23

LJG23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a great topic for me right now, I am a BOL player and all of the games there have 1 hour late reg tops, now with me playing more ACR these tournaments have 3 sometimes 5 hour late registration. Does the Deepness of your stack make a difference? If the blinds started at 10/20 would you register as late with a 10k starting stack as you would a 3k starting stack? Later?

There have been a lot of good points made, early reg can build stacks, gain more information. Late reg avoids donks, makes decisions easier, less time. For me the point that stood out is Freeroll vs Buying in... Invest less time in free games but you want to get the most play you can out of the games you are paying for. I believe that is registering early and trying to maximize your edge for as long as you can. Building a stack to not only cash but run deep and WIN!

F

Forbesy604

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually only join late registration tournaments

Haymore277

Haymore277

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Joining a late registration is risky,at the same time the blinds would be increased and u might end up being eliminated from the tournament.

well_cap1302

well_cap1302

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer the beginning because there are many fish on the table that go all in with bluffs and bad hands.

lulu pk

lulu pk

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do think that for good players it's way more better to start at time the MTT.When the blinds are small you have the opportunity to play more hands post flop.
The only time when I reg late it's on rebay/add on MTT.

bablo

bablo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also prefer late registration to spend less time on the game.

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If there is late reg I will normally reg late and it depends when I reg average stack sizes,blinds and number of players left all come into it and I have cashed in quite a few.:):):)

bstyles85

bstyles85

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never late register. Too many chips you're missing out on at the beginning stages of a tournament. I'm there to win it, not make min cashes.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm against late registration which takes 2-3 hours in tournaments, I try to start the tournament from the very beginning and that I had a lot of time for the game and the registration lasted about 15-30 minutes, I like playing in tournaments in which a small time recording and for me
it's good when you can get to the prize zone quicker and get a prize!

P

pauloandre100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another advantage is that players do not dominate the push/fold ranges.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I agree with your thought but the better time to stack off some weak opponents and increase dramatically your stack is at the first stages where everyone plays with the anxiety of a quick double up and that leads to mistakes.

Also you will understand what type of player is everyone, you can make some reads :)

S

Spns777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate a late registration. It is inflates a field and give advantage for fresh players.
I think if you want play a poker then play with me from start and show me a your better poker.

ggf99

ggf99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hate late reg at ACR. its absurd 5 hour late reg

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Donkey Kong at its ugliest.

Some players don't have the patience to play long tournaments so they just come out firing with both barrels and hope they hit. Donkey Kong at its ugliest.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to sit from the start....I get to the movies early to see the popcorn commercials and previews of future films...that's just me

S

sgroitoysuzy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
late reg

I have had alot of success (mainly micro)Utilizing late reg especially with starting superstacks,Your chips are definitely more valuable when you late reg,also you can avoid/skip mulitple levels and lastly come in fresh alert & ready to dbl

bkniefel

bkniefel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's a great viewpoint of how/why to register late into MTT's in terms of time invested. I'm sure everyone has sat behind their screens during tournaments, playing well and then being busted 1-2hrs in by a crap hand. I don't like wasting my time as well and I think you highlighted some great points.

The only thing that I would say is that if you plan on playing poker all day and set time aside, then you might just want to get in while the blinds are low and see if you can knock out some donks as you try and trap them. It's always nice to have nothing to do for a day but cards and that rarely happens so I understand your perspective.