lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Does it make sense to wait and enter a tournament late? If you know a tourney has a late reg, is it an advantage to enter late?

T

thirteenlisk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No. Of you're a good player you're going to want to be playing as much as possible, especially when the blinds are smaller.

L

lewis010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does it make sense to wait and enter a tournament late? If you know a tourney has a late reg, is it an advantage to enter late?

no it doesnt make sense to enter late to a tournament however full tilt poker make a late registration to have more entries, and more fees who will give ftp more benefit... thats the reason of whick late registration is available.

hotwings18

hotwings18

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
No. Of you're a good player you're going to want to be playing as much as possible, especially when the blinds are smaller.

I agree with this 100%. I hate how in some tournaments the number of entrants doubles up during the first level of blinds by late entrants.

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use to play at a site called "jetset",and if you registered late you could pick your table if you watched how they filled in the tourney lobby.I knew who the strong players were and avoided em,I havnt seen that anywhere else and jetset closed. I only play 2 sites now.

spranger

spranger

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
don't you want first dibbs on the pushATC donks before they're gone?

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only time that I would ever advise entering a tourney late is if you plain out missed the starting time and still want to play in it. But I would never do late reg. intentionally.

Not only do you miss out on the lower blind levels, but depending on when you get placed at a table, you could possibly be in the lower half of the chip stacks with your starting stack. Not to mention, that gives you a little less time than your opponents to get your feel for the players at the table(not that you dont get switched from table to table online constantly anyway). But it would just be bad practice to use this as a strategy.

motyennif

motyennif

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only reason to enter late is if by chance you were unable to register by the starting time. Otherwise, sign up on time and that way you won't miss possible top hands and the chance to take out early gambler.

RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One reason to wait is to see if there is going to be an overlay. I think late registration is a way for the sites to avoid overlay, so it's rare to find a good one.

C

ChipnChase

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
no, its not an advantage to starting a tourney late....
you do not get to see what your opponents style of play is like..
that can be a real advantage lost

i don't mind starting late myself....but i would prefer to see the 1st hand of a tourney....

M

manalva

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi.

I don't think is an advantage, because you lost the first hands, you miss to watch other players games and also lost the oportunity of play low hands seeing the flop because of the low BBs.

Anyway, it´s anoying when you think the tournament is complete and more people enters.

Bye.
manalva

Tom1559

Tom1559

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not see any advantage in registering late. In fact I am of the opinion that late registration should be banned. I know there are some valid reasons for it but overall I think if you miss the start then you miss the touney.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do it often, and have seen no downside to the practice of late registration.

Under the theory that tells us the first few orbits of any tourney are the extra volatile orbits, missing them is not a bad thing. I know there will be players who are terrible and have doubled up by the time I enter, and oddly, they are putting a focus on themselves by the time I enter. I can watch them more closely, to see if they lucked out, or sucked out, or are truely decent players.

I have no problem with late registration, except when I end up being too late into a game I was wanting to play.

RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do it often, and have seen no downside to the practice of late registration.

Under the theory that tells us the first few orbits of any tourney are the extra volatile orbits, missing them is not a bad thing. I know there will be players who are terrible and have doubled up by the time I enter, and oddly, they are putting a focus on themselves by the time I enter. I can watch them more closely, to see if they lucked out, or sucked out, or are truely decent players.

I have no problem with late registration, except when I end up being too late into a game I was wanting to play.

Me neither. It often is wise to avoid the first few rounds and let things settle down.

No way poker sites will ban late registration; on the contrary, they have instituted for their own benefit (to avoid overlays).

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I do not see any advantage in registering late. In fact I am of the opinion that late registration should be banned. I know there are some valid reasons for it but overall I think if you miss the start then you miss the touney.

I couldn't agree more. I can understand the allure of it, as you could think that if you wait out the first ten minutes at least 10 or 15 players will be knocked out (more for feilds 1000+). Sound logic at a glance, but, as others here have already listed reasons for, this is usually a bad idea.

As for it being banned, I have mixed emotions. Part of me kinda likes the ability to get in if you log-on a few minutes late and the next one is not starting for another hour. It is convienent in the rare instance this situation comes up. Though if you really wanted to play that particular tourney, you would have registered long before the start time.

On the other hand, I believe that if it's posted that a tourney is supposed to start at a certain time and you didn't register, well you're SOL. Having people enter late into a tourney, after the fisst hand has been completed is the biggest affront to the game of poker since the advent of the unlimited rebuy (IMO anyways). Also, i'm not a fan of starting a tourney looking to face 300 players, playing the first few orbits, checking my position, and seeing that I am in 125 out of 984 players remaining. The fact that Full TIlt advertises the shiit out of their tourneys to begin with should be enough. If they were so concerned about giving players a chance to make it into the tourney, why not just start it ten minutes later.

Ok, so this is turning into a biitch session, so I'll sum it up quick. IMO the whole "late registration" thing just seems redundant. At least when you consider the reasons FT offers them. I personally believe that it is a clever, dare I say scheme, to collect more rake. I have other peeves, but I'm not gonna get into them.

A

AUPhoenix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late Registration

I agree with Tom, ban this late registration junk. If you want to play then register and play. Everyone knows that there are donks in freerolls and small buy-in tourneys. Unless you are holding the goods then you avoid them. :)

P

pokermatch

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
No I really dont think so. The reason why it probably isn't is because
if you buyin normally, youll have already played quite a bit of hands
before the other guys who use the late registration play. This gives you
the chance to either win or loose money, and these are balanced since
its either you win some or you loose some. If you buyin late then your
starting off late in a tournament, with a smaller stack than the average,