Late in MTTs

J

joe cherry

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For some reason whenever I have a big stack going into the late stages of a tournament I end up losing it. Best strategy for large stacks in late stages?

G

gabethegimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The biggest issue I see most people having with late MTT play, esp deep stacked players is they tend to donate on draws hoping to catch when they should've folded pre-flop or on the flop itself.

777jeton777

777jeton777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For some reason whenever I have a big stack going into the late stages of a tournament I end up losing it. Best strategy for large stacks in late stages?
At me unfortunately such, it is problemma. and with strong hands and from a position only I open. I also lose. the only thing I can advise is patience and not go Alin.

jfmcd86

jfmcd86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just because you have a big stack doesn't mean you have to go and call every hand.
If you see to many flops you tend to lose most of your stack. So fold once and awhile

K

klada152

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had the same problem now I limp a lot, or i play only big pairs.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Biggest thing to remember is just because you have the chips to call with a draw doesn't mean you have to. If the odds aren't these don't make a call because it was only 10% of your stack, those calls add up and eventually you're the short stack

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have a big stack, there is really no point to playing loose. "Sitting" on a stack is a wise move, because your chips are worth money if you latter up. So just be careful with your spots and try to get the money in with the best hand. Good luck!

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have the same problem, For me it was the biggest difficulty. More painful than falling out small stacks. But I do not think it's a proper passive game, with a big stack you have to dominate.

Darsno

Darsno

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to switch gears. Keeping a large stack is not accomplished by the same methods by which you acquired them. Pick your spots, spot weak opponents and exploit them, and don`t get embroiled in hands where you aren`t close to having the nuts unless you have a solid read on your opponent.

E

Edson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should show us some hands.
Reason of your problem i probably bad postflop play...

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tighten up only play group one hands preflop All in outside the blinds on the blinds defend but not when you know you missed and raiser has a monster Getting a stack is great but holding tightly to it is a true skill good luck

stackedmegaman

stackedmegaman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really suggest to tighten up. Play slow, and watch your opponents.
But also keep in mind that you have the upper hand when it comes to bluff time.
When it's late in tourney, people don't want to get knock out, so use that to your advantage and steal those pots, when available.
In other words, be patient yet strong.

GL on the felt :D

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play your normal game for the number of big blinds that you have - except:When opening into a lot of short stacks who are willing to shove later in tournaments.

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience is the key you could lose a lot of your chips by reckless play.

S

stamark

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe you change your playing style.You play more hands and you chase more in draws.As a result you lose more and more chips. Try to get involved only where you are good enough and take the best value you can

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My suggestion would be to use the 5 to 10 Rule. If you're the largest stack and someone is betting into you preflop and you have a hand like 109o. If he's betting 10% or more of his stack fold and if he's betting 5% or less call. Anything between there it's a judgement call and very player dependent. You need to call with hands like this but understand how much they're betting to their stack so you can get a better idea of they're strength. Even if you think he's bluffing what is he bluffing with because speculative hands aren't ahead of much preflop.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a) If average pots, especially preFlop, are large: play more tight
b) Do not raise with calling stations unless you have KK or AA
c) Study icm, main lesson the chips lost are more valuable than the chips won (be careful spending chips)
p.s. I'm trying the above myself due to same problem:D

FaelN

FaelN

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since you have a large stack.. you can open more hands.. a little bit tight in the first positions of the table and more loose at the last positions.. always preserving your stack.. a tip for doing this is controlling the size pote always.. gl bro

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Many times we think that because we have a lot of chips we have to bet on all hands and it is not like that, it is when we have to be more careful, of course there are players who are very aggressive when they have many chips and for many it would be logical, for I have to play more insurance

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To have a big stack and lose it you have to put your chips in the middle. Your going to take beats. Once you have a big stack consider playing more smaller pots versus a few big ones. Don't get over aggressive with hands pre-flop, instead see more flops.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to choose your hands well and your rivals, if you have many chips, does not mean you have to see all the hands, try to avoid other players with many chips, unless they are tight.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to keep the game that made u win that stack. Pay attention to your position, after ITM its hard to intimidate others.

E

EZcoast

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
bluffin

I always give up too much on a bluff when im up, sometimes you just gotta lay em down and play small ball,

P

pauloandre100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do not wasted chips because you are the chipleader, you have to know how to prune the smaller stacks

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
CardsChat has a strategy section that includes an article on MTT https://www.cardschat.com/mtt-tournament-strategy.php. According to the article "At this stage suited-connectors rapidly lose value, while high cards (even with weak kickers) gain value." There is also an article on big stack in MTT https://www.cardschat.com/mtt-big-stack.php that might be helpful.

I personally seem to get to the late stages short stacked, so I don't have any experience that would lend itself to helping you. Congratulations for getting to the late stages with a big stack and I wish you well in learning how to use it to go for the win!