Last minute registration - why

M

maxboy44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cannot understand the logic of joining a tournament in the last ten minutes or so. an example is below.
It was $7.50 with a starter of $10,000. The average holding was 45,000 and at least one person had over a million dollars. During the last ten minutes forty players joined, The odds against them surviving a hand were large, and any chance of winning money minute.
Can anyone explain the logic of this ?

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker wise, it does not make sense, but they saved time.
And now they need to double/triple up fast, so they hope for a big hand and a few flips.
It is very similar to some rebuy tournaments; if you drop to half the starting stack, go bust and rebuy, then all-in until you have a reasonable stack, I've seen demonstrations on twitch by 'room sponsored players'.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
At the situation you discribe, buying in is getting in a difficult situation with 10000 chips, with an average of 45000. It is not impossible anyway! With carefull play they can reach the average of 45000 and then the road is open!

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I cannot understand the logic of joining a tournament in the last ten minutes or so. an example is below.
It was $7.50 with a starter of $10,000. The average holding was 45,000 and at least one person had over a million dollars. During the last ten minutes forty players joined, The odds against them surviving a hand were large, and any chance of winning money minute.
Can anyone explain the logic of this ?

What site was it on?

L

likesithere

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think ego has a lot to do with it. I do not think tournaments should have late entry this then makes an even playing field for all. i know that reentry and late entry boosts the prize pool but i personally would rather a smaller prize pool and a fairer chance of winning rather than someone entering 5 min from the end and being forced to play all in bingo. rgs tom

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure why people do it, I don't like to start tournaments during the late registration and if I'm faced with the decision I may not enter. I like the fact that everyone starts with the same amount of chips giving no one the advantage but if you come in that late in registration you give yourself a distinctive disadvantage.

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe the thought is at the start about 1 in 10 players cash, but a couple of hours later it's up to around 1 in 4.

If you can buy in at a full stack why put any of it at risk when 10% of the players get paid when you can wait until a two-thirds of the players are busted or crippled and show up with a full starting stack.

In some events it may be better to play from the start and pick off the weaker players, in other events it might be better to wait until all the pre-flop shove donkeys have been weeded out to reduce your variance.

I don't mind the rebuys, I just think there should be a reduction in starting stack for each level you missed. Something along the lines of starting with 10% less for each level you missed. Want to come in at level 8? Here's 30% of what everyone else started with, have fun.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do that sometimes, and many timews I'm seated at a table with the same stack sizes. so not much pressure from Bullies. As it is close to latereg end and prize distribution, many players wait until late reg is over and it's easy to steal blinds. I tried it the other way (playing from the beginning) and ended up with the same stack size or less, so with long Late-reg periods, like on ACR, I prefer to have some luck instead of playing 3 hours...

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I late reg 99% of the time because:

-its fun having to open jam ATC, especially when you get lucky.
-it tilts nitty players who played from the start and are still waiting for that "big hand".
-it saves me time from not having to play the beginning.
-Easy money from nitty bad players looking to just cash (when i run good).
-Min cashing is easier, but who cares about that?

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes the last few minutes of late registration are right near the bubble. So if you can buy-in and double up you can get at least a min cash.

M

maxboy44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker stars
It was on pokerstars.

Nathan,
I agree with what you say. But this has not been the case in the dozens of times I have seen similar activity ( though not as many.)

Last edited by a moderator:
ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know. It's pretty risky.

M

maxboy44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Space cowboy,
Sorry I have had to slightly change your title. (could not remember the detail ).
An interesting fact. I did not know such organisations existed. I am learning more and more about hidden facts in on-line poker.

M

maxboy44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I late reg 99% of the time because:

-its fun having to open jam ATC, especially when you get lucky.
-it tilts nitty players who played from the start and are still waiting for that "big hand".
-it saves me time from not having to play the beginning.
-Easy money from nitty bad players looking to just cash (when i run good).
-Min cashing is easier, but who cares about that?

Interpreter please !!

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like a deep stack tourney.. what were the blinds up to when registration ended? If they still started with 10-20 bb it's not such a bad idea, they skip the part of the tourney that is extreme deep stack when everyone is playing a bit crazy and get to enter when everyone isn't playing so crazy..I personally like to reg on time but i understand the late reg also, you Start closer to the money and if you can win a few hands your in good shape to cash and you save a few hours of time when you don't play from the start. Cheers and GL on the next 1

M

maxboy44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
0hshootmybad,
I am new to this game. What do the following mean
tilt
nitty players
open jam atc
Thanks

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me personally, I like starting on time, but I have fiddled with really late registration. I often find that my stack is not much better than a starting stack (I am not a good player) by the late reg period anyway. Might as well save some time if this is you. However, as I get better, I can certainly see that raking in chips early on puts you at a huge advantage. Hopefully I'll be able to take advantage of that more often.

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
0hshootmybad,
I am new to this game. What do the following mean
tilt
nitty players
open jam atc
Thanks

OMG... I'm only winging it here as I was as green (New To This) as you are before picking up on these terms through CardsChat...

• "Tilt" is when Your stack (Chips) have taken a dive and your game play doesn't improve but only gets worse as try anything to regain them...
  • "Nitty Players" are players that are very strict in what opening hands they'll play, tending to only Call if they believe its a sure thing like pocket pairs and Tend to fold early if they don't develop a reasonably top hand on the flop... Derogatory term for players that don't like to "Voluntary Put In Pot" (Vpip)
  • "Open Jam" or "Jamming" Is Raising, Pushing or Forcing players out of the hand by increasing the betting amount with continuous increases each betting round.
I May Have gotten the wrong interpretation but i think ive gotten the jist of it...

Hope that helps you...

M

Millie232

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't join tournaments in late registration anything part the second level, but the rationalisation is that it's almost impossible to be blinded out of a tournament during late registration, but it's very possible to play yourself out of the tournament. Arguably, some find it better to join a tournament with a stack half the average than to risk busting out of a tournament - you can't win the tournament before late registration ends anyway!

RakeFace

RakeFace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Made most of My $15k winning thru superlateregging to r/a tourneys just Getting the initial bi and add on. So much dead money on The pool it occationally created overlay and on certain Sites got u to bubble. For some big PokerStars FOs it ok to superlatreg when you still get 15bb to play with. So you just gun for double up hands and pretty much reach The bubble with that. Also dead money on The pool already So mathematically EV+ just regging on most cases. But this is highly dependant on The MTT structure So you gotta find those first. But otoh MTT regs are highly connected So word gets around on New findings. All this results into better hourly which is The bread and butter here.

Plus it tilts fishes ;)