Knockout or Regular tournaments?

maksonios

maksonios

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm an MTT player and played a lot both: Bounty Builders and Regular Tournaments and I'm curious about your opinion. Which one is more profitable? Because in bounty builders prizes for reaching a certain place seem to be a little bit miserable and in regular tournaments, where all money you get is when you are ITM - prizes for first places are really good. So which one do you prefer?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For the playing experience I prefer regular tournaments, but I think, those with bounties can be very profitable. Many people over adjust to bounties, and bounties are fun for recreational players.

Cam54

Cam54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like many forms of poker and I love both regular play as in a freezeout or bounties, I'm not so big on rebuys... I think bounties are just a little extra fun for me .... provides a little extra sweetness to get rewarded for taking someone out : )

J

josall002

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that I tend to run better in bounties, though I like both styles. I think bounty tournaments can be much more profitable if you understand the adjustments to maximize their value.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bounties are probably more profitable as many people will make that their emphasis of playing instead of playing solid. Knowing this, you can take advantage of people with bigger stacks than you who will usually call lighter to an all in to try for the bounty.

Regular tournaments are better in my opinion, for learning tournament strategy and becoming a better tournament player.

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
in both cases you will lose money in most of the time, (only 16% in ITM is a shame), but in knockout style, you can theoretically earn more/be profit, in less time, due to several factors

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally I prefer regular style tournaments I find during knockout tournaments I take more unnecessary risks to simply collect such a small profit.

wolfik1950

wolfik1950

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer by far the KO and generally I prefer to focus on the elimination of the player accumulates a large amount, and a good position at the end will come alone

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer regular tournaments mainly because of what you say, because bounty tournaments' prizes are smaller (cause of the bounties of course).
As for which format is more profitable, I guess this is not relative to the format itself but to what any individual player enjoys the most and wins the most.

For example I enjoy deep stack and regular to slow tournaments and also my style fits perfectly to play those and I indeed play my best and do better in that format than others.
I don't really like turbos or KO because my standard decisions have to be adjusted either because of time pressure in one case or in bounty chasing in the other. And both of these situations are related to a looser style than I usually play.
Although I understand that both turbo and KO can be very profitable because inexperienced players prefer them.

So all in all, I believe that differs from person to person to which format they are more comfortable at in order to be more profitable.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that for beginners bounty is good, because you can make a small profit even if you do not get ITM by knocking out some people when you are dealt really good cards, and because you get paid more often for monsters when people call your shoves for the bounty.
Players with an advanced strategy are better off in regular tournaments in my opinion, because you suffer less bad beats as your opponents are more likely to fold to large bets when they will not get an instant reward for eliminating a player.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will actually go the other way and say, that when you are new to the game, you should keep things as simple as possible. And that mean avoiding complications like bounties, add-ons or special formats like DONs, that require big adjustments. When you have a solid fundamental tournament strategy, then you can consider to add things like bounties.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will actually go the other way and say, that when you are new to the game, you should keep things as simple as possible. And that mean avoiding complications like bounties, add-ons or special formats like DONs, that require big adjustments. When you have a solid fundamental tournament strategy, then you can consider to add things like bounties.

Totally agree with your opinion, for beginners regular mtt, no rebuys, no adons ar the best, and when they develop a strategy there, then go to another form of MTTs

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you prefer to register at the end of late registration then you are more suited bounty tournaments. Because you will be very tempting for the big stacks. They will make the classic mistakes and try to knock you out with any hands. Even with trash hands. You can quickly dial comfortable for games and a stack almost immediately guarantee yourself money. If you prefer to register at the beginning of the tournament then choose regular tournaments. Not in a hurry and just play.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Both options are worth considering. But it is better to play in tournaments that bring you more profit. Lately, I have been paying more attention to regular tournaments.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you prefer to register at the end of late registration then you are more suited bounty tournaments. Because you will be very tempting for the big stacks. They will make the classic mistakes and try to knock you out with any hands. Even with trash hands. You can quickly dial comfortable for games and a stack almost immediately guarantee yourself money. If you prefer to register at the beginning of the tournament then choose regular tournaments. Not in a hurry and just play.

If you register late for a bounty tournament, some of the bounty price pool has already been distributed. So you are paying the full price, but you are not even contending for all the money. Also when you are a below average stack, it is difficult to content for bounties, which again mean, you are only really contending for half the price pool, if it is the typical 50/50 distribution. In my opinion therefore it is absolutely mandatory to be there on time, if you are going to play a bounty tournament.

D

dayontour

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Regular tournaments

I much prefer regular tournaments, it is what I am use to.

Back playing poker after a few years away, and quite surprised how may games are now bounty tournaments.

Very much trying to get use to playing in bounty tournaments.

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer regular format to try and get the big ft cash. Bounty can be a lot of fun and you can run up a stack fast with momentum and table image. The gladiator series on pp is great

evildoesit2003

evildoesit2003

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Knockout might be a good idea with this group so many raising large and going all in, it would certainly shorten the freerolls.

Shawnt

Shawnt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ding Ding mudda puckah

I personally do enjoy knockout tournaments usually. knocking out two players or more, you get your buy-in back, and from that point on your free rolling. And my style, I believe fits those type tourneys. who doesn't like to free rolling. Good luck. Have fun.

J

JRTHEKING

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like bounties because I always got a short stack from playing too tight. I'm usually on the hunted side of things rather than the hunter in those games.:D

FernA9ndo

FernA9ndo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freezeouts tournaments with big fields and good prizepools.

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I prefer knockout tournaments because you can earn more or just pay your buy-in without even arriving at a final table or scoring position. This is great because you can take better control of your bankroll

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Personally I dont know whats more profitable, I prefer just regular Tournament. I have played in some of the bounty's and find them more of a gamble players game than playing poker.