Knocking on the door

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The last two weeks I've been going deep without turning it into wins I've had 5 FTs and about a dozen 12-20 placings. If I keep doing this surely it will be my turn soon it's been about 3 months since I've taken anything down any advice would be great

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It sounds like you're doing the right stuff to run deep and get to the final table.

The next time you make it to a final table, it may help to record your screen and go back later to review your play and see if you have any leaks that show up as the table grows more short-handed.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The last two weeks I've been going deep without turning it into wins I've had 5 FTs and about a dozen 12-20 placings. If I keep doing this surely it will be my turn soon it's been about 3 months since I've taken anything down any advice would be great
In July, I was at 10 (9-seat) final tables, 6 of which I finished top 3, 3 of which I won. Players seem to think of final table as a goal, and they start taking larger chances once they get there. You need to continue to play your game.

My best advice is to only call all ins with premium hands. If an early position mid stack shoves, you should only call with QQ+ and AK. If a late position shoves, I would still only call with TT+ and AQ+, maybe AT+ if player is loose. It is better to shove with QJ than call with KQ.

Folding or shoving is a good strategy when you get under 10BB on final table (even before). With up to 15BB, I like to raise (2X - 2.5X) with my strongest and weakest hands (AA, KK and KQ, KJ) and shove the rest. Button and SB are good places to steal if it is folded around to you, but be careful. Blinds sometimes fight back.

Even if you are short stacked, wait for good hands. It is more likely others will go out the longer you wait. All you need is one pot per round to stay in forever. You want to get it in with a good chance to double up.

Each elimination comes off the UTG side of your range. When it is down to 6 players, the first to act should be in their MP range (77+, A8s, KQ etc). Stealing at this point becomes vital. Those huge blinds come around a lot more often. I like to start min raising, and folding worst hands to push back.

When it gets to three handed, stack size becomes very important. If short, you want to double up and fast. Shove any pair, any Ace, even Broadways. If you lead in chips, you want to play good hands aggressively, but let the other two fight it out at times. Chip leader should be aggressive to any weakness. Put their stack at risk if you think they are chasing or weak.

Heads up is a whole new game. Lots of guess work, lots of slow play, lots of small bluffs. Three streets of small bets is often better than one big bet. You don't want villain to read your bets, so sometimes you need to change it up. Call, min raise, 3X raise, shove. Vary your game looking for openings. Heads up often comes down to that one hand when you limp into his blind, and he shoves his weaker hand.

I hope this helps some to think about their late stage game. Having a good short stack strategy is the single most important advantage in MTTs.

SwaggyJ

SwaggyJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In July, I was at 10 (9-seat) final tables, 6 of which I finished top 3, 3 of which I won. Players seem to think of final table as a goal, and they start taking larger chances once they get there. You need to continue to play your game.

My best advice is to only call all ins with premium hands. If an early position mid stack shoves, you should only call with QQ+ and AK. If a late position shoves, I would still only call with TT+ and AQ+, maybe AT+ if player is loose. It is better to shove with QJ than call with KQ.

Folding or shoving is a good strategy when you get under 10BB on final table (even before). With up to 15BB, I like to raise (2X - 2.5X) with my strongest and weakest hands (AA, KK and KQ, KJ) and shove the rest. Button and SB are good places to steal if it is folded around to you, but be careful. Blinds sometimes fight back.

Even if you are short stacked, wait for good hands. It is more likely others will go out the longer you wait. All you need is one pot per round to stay in forever. You want to get it in with a good chance to double up.

Each elimination comes off the UTG side of your range. When it is down to 6 players, the first to act should be in their MP range (77+, A8s, KQ etc). Stealing at this point becomes vital. Those huge blinds come around a lot more often. I like to start min raising, and folding worst hands to push back.

When it gets to three handed, stack size becomes very important. If short, you want to double up and fast. Shove any pair, any Ace, even Broadways. If you lead in chips, you want to play good hands aggressively, but let the other two fight it out at times. Chip leader should be aggressive to any weakness. Put their stack at risk if you think they are chasing or weak.

Heads up is a whole new game. Lots of guess work, lots of slow play, lots of small bluffs. Three streets of small bets is often better than one big bet. You don't want villain to read your bets, so sometimes you need to change it up. Call, min raise, 3X raise, shove. Vary your game looking for openings. Heads up often comes down to that one hand when you limp into his blind, and he shoves his weaker hand.

I hope this helps some to think about their late stage game. Having a good short stack strategy is the single most important advantage in MTTs.

Well said.

SwaggyJ

SwaggyJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Congrats on the success and deep runs. Keep playing your game and keep up the grind!

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Thanks for taking the time to offer very thorough advice appreciate it