KK and then an A comes up on the flop

L

LifeLab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

I was just faced with a situation where I had wired KK and then an A came up on the flop. There were 3 players and the one in front of me bet 4x bb. This situation occurred at the beginning of the tournament and I ended up folding. The player after me called and the two of them ended up playing for the next lowest card (10). It really stunk to fold wired kinds but I felt it was the right thing to do.

Would you have done the same? What if this had happened towards the middle of the tournament. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

froggeedogs

froggeedogs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
folding kings

Been there done that, think it is one of the hardest things to do except folding aces when there is a str8 on the board. sometimes you do everything right and still lose. good luck to us all.

steadman0

steadman0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I probably would have folded there too. although it depends on what type of tournament it was and if I had any information on the people, but as you said it was at the beginning of the tournament then I'm guessing you didn't.

L

LifeLab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't and thinking it's time to start using HUD software to start getting analysis on each player. Thanks for responding.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you got KK on the flop A X X its a good time to play check/fold :D

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, that you have not properly played their pocket cards KK. In this case, your opponent used a bluff with an ace on the flop and made a continuation bet. In my opinion, you needed to check your opponents for the presence of the card ace and put a minimum raise of 8 BB. If the opponents had exactly an ace, then they would check on the flop and on the following streets.

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"ace magnets".....all those Ace rag hands early in tournaments just waiting to stick it to you. Good fold.

nutthink

nutthink

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thats what i call nightmares, good fold

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its better to fold KK in tish situation because it was 4 way flop and when you see an A on the flop just let it go

L

LifeLab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
alfadog85 - that's an interesting concept 8x big blind. Over the next week I'm going to give it shot.

jimmy andres

jimmy andres

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello in these cases the first thing I do before the flop is to make a really strong bet, so that all who want to go think very well because our opponent will not always have an AK to follow our bet, so you would not risk losing Against a stronger hand, and maybe it is whoever has a lower pair or someone with projects that he believes he is to play on the flop. But it will serve you luck at the tables.

A

atila1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thats actully easy fold especialy at begining of tournamet. Is too high posibilty that one of other players holding A, its ugly when you see that nobody holding it but you are still in tounament and plenty oportunities in front of you.

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was a good fold
With two other people in the hand, the chances of somebody having an ace is just too big.

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

I was just faced with a situation where I had wired KK and then an A came up on the flop. There were 3 players and the one in front of me bet 4x bb. This situation occurred at the beginning of the tournament and I ended up folding. The player after me called and the two of them ended up playing for the next lowest card (10). It really stunk to fold wired kinds but I felt it was the right thing to do.

Would you have done the same? What if this had happened towards the middle of the tournament. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I would go broke or rake in a good pot. This is a situation that you will face often with many hands. Did you raise pre-flop? Short stacked? I have shoved with KK on the first or second hand of a tournament and been knocked out. It stinks but one can't be scared of such cards. I have never folded kings. ever.

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I ll never learn to fold KK and it often costs me too much.

K

killroy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
most of the time i would try to get all my chips pre flop. let them gamble on their A rag. but that's me.

B

BRADYboy2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually try and continue to bet on flop whatever comes and then see if/how players act, sometimes i'll make a raise pre flop and if an A hits the flop i'll then C-bet and my opponents will sometimes think i have huge hand or an AX and they all fold, you can't always put opponents on an A when plenty of players call with hands like KJ,QK, etc, try and make a bet on flop if can afford to and find out where you are, if player calls raise pre-flop and also calls a c-bet on an A flop then you can start to think they may have an A, don't just check when see an A on the flop and give away your hand strength also as players often exploit this also by repping the A. :)

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, it definitely happens. It just happened to me mid way through a live tournament. One limp, I 2.5x and it folds around to the BB and he calls, live limper calls. Flop comes AQx 2 clubs and BB opens shoves around 9x pot, limper folded and I don't know what to do, just confused. I tanked and ended up folding. He showed AJ off.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It's a tough spot when there are 4 players seeing the flop. odds are one of them is holding some type of Ax hand and you are behind. How did the preflop action go? I assume you raised it up 2.5-3xbb and they all came along for the ride? Get a hud and keep an eye on there cbet% and how aggressive they are on the flop ect. see if they are bet folding to a 3bet on the flop much ect.

V

veruska A1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a mistake that always happens, I think it has happened to us all hahaha, I think in your place I would have protected my hand more, I would have bet a lot that would put the opponent to think, to really risk or to have gone ALL IN.

But easy to learn mistakes to be a better player!
Remember that poker is a first game of strategy but above all of luck.

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

With 4 players it definitely sounds like the best play. But it would be awesome to understand whether the other 2 players had checked before you. Plus with a 4x bb it's difficult to understand what kind of bet it is without knowing it's relative size to the pot. (e.g. 4xbb into a pot of 20bb might just be probe or a blocker and warrant a call).

A 4xbb doesn't sound like it's a massive amount if there 4 players going in pre with one holding Ks. Unless you were UTG going for the standard 2.5x/3xbb raise and you had 3 callers. Because if you were in a later position you would 3b all of these guys with a massive raise right?

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ff

KK vs Ace on flop is really disaster .Check and see reactions is the best and free solution .Or you can make a continuation bet to see where opponent is .I hate A on flop when i got kk or qq .I think you also .

Antulio francis

Antulio francis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes AA makes you lose a lot of chips because you think it's a definite 4 bet of the villain can represent THE FRACTION more also can represent some type type TT99 88 to a support QQJJ that felt strong enough to bet more that you do not have any Information of the opponent I think the call would have called

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know playing KK against and ace in the flop can definetely become a great disaster, but hey, thats the great thing about poker, you will never know until it is done haha I never fold KK against anything sometimes are good ones somertimes I wanna hang myself but I really enjoy that kind of games XD

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I think the situation you describe is a clear fold . I hate it when it happens , A on the flop when I have KK , at least when it's hu and I have position I can make a cbet and sometimes I can take the pot , especially if I have one of the blinds opponents , but if there are many players , it's a fold situation .