kk in tourneys IS IT WORTH IT ???

supernuts25

supernuts25

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey all

So lately ive been getting deep in tourneys and busting , calling an all in with KK, so my question is. Is it worth your tourney, AA is what normally seems to be getting me.
at one point i was folding KK pre deep in tourneys, cause of costing my tourney, lately ive moved back to calling off my chips pre, and for me its just costing me, i wasn't a short stack.

what do you guys think?

J

Jimboskie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes it is very worth it. You're a 3 to 1 favorite over the top 10% of hands and a 2 to 1 favorite over the top 4.5% of hands. It's a profitable move - I know it sucks to have bad beats continually. I've had my share lately - big cooler situations. Good luck at the tables : )

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey all

So lately ive been getting deep in tourneys and busting , calling an all in with KK, so my question is. Is it worth your tourney, AA is what normally seems to be getting me.
at one point i was folding KK pre deep in tourneys, cause of costing my tourney, lately ive moved back to calling off my chips pre, and for me its just costing me, i wasn't a short stack.

what do you guys think?
Trust you Gut feelings
Especially online

Quote of da Day: “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results”
This quote was from guy who was fairly intelligent “Albert Einstein” :)

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KK in tournaments with less than 100bb is always worth it. With over 2-300 you can definetly fold it to a higher stack If he shoves big, this again unless you already comited most of your chips.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Survivalist Poker

I had developed a playing style I don’t use much anymore, although maybe I should with how often my KK loses to an Ace-rag. But in this playing style, lasting longer in a tournament is more important than collecting chips. Now, keep in mind, this only applies to late stage tournament play, especially near the bubble and definitely would never apply to cash games.
Most of the time, poker players focus intently on the amount of chips they have and the amount of chips they could win if they stick around in a pot or raise the betting. With Survivalist poker, you have to change your strategy. Play hands with your focus on what will allow you to last longer in the tourney. Collecting chips is only second place to the amount of time you've lasted or could last if you don’t lose an all-in. Yes, you could last long IF you win the big pot, but how much playing time would you lose if you los the pot?
Having 5-10 BBs is ok, it’s no reason to panic and go into a shove/fold mentality. You can still have a lucky orbit and be back up to 20+ BBs in no time. Instead, shove/fold should be reserved for being down to say 3 BBs or less.
You also don't have to be concerned with collecting a large number of chips all at once. If you can stay in the 10-20 BB range you're still surviving.
Now, with a healthy stack, let’s say you get that KK or you make 2 pair and there’s a possible flush on the board. You bet modestly and then someone comes over the top with an all-in. If you’re playing to win chips/money, you would call in these situations hoping to dodge the flush draw or perhaps pick up a full house. If you’re playing to last as long as possible, you would fold to the all-in, and sacrifice the chips you put in for the sake of surviving.
When playing to survive, surviving is the only thing that matters.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KK is a very good hand for me, and i would thing about folding.I remember that once i folded with KK, for the action that there was pre flop, a villain raised from utg, and another player made 4bet, this last player i considered rock, for that reason i thought i had AA, and so it was, that hand was AA vs AK and fortunatley can leave.

Gabinho12345

Gabinho12345

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you lose with KK all in preflop, it's just unlucky. It's very rare that you should be folding KK preflop.

E

Edson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KK is second best hand in poker, You should always play it very aggresive preflop :)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Sorry but I think your name is fitting.

Come on people.... learn how to do the math. There's some (many) comments in this thread that are inspiring me to fire up a few dozen tourneys instead of going back to work right now. I just hope you guys are going back to work today too, so there'll be plenty of deposits happening for this weekend's games.

... see you there while I'm getting you to fold your KK with my 5 high busted straight draw. 'gg'

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Bubbled yesterday final table because of this hand :rolleyes:
888 Poker - 8000/16000 Ante 2000 NL - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 3.13 BB
BB: 30.51 BB
UTG: 15.75 BB
Hero (MP): 23.82 BB
CO: 31.81 BB
BTN: 14.96 BB

6 players post ante of 0.13 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.25 BB) Hero has A:diamond: A:heart:

fold, Hero raises to 2.62 BB, fold, BTN raises to 14.83 BB and is all-in, fold, fold, Hero calls 12.21 BB

Flop: (31.91 BB, 2 players) 8:spade: 2:spade: J:heart:

Turn: (31.91 BB, 2 players) J:spade:

River: (31.91 BB, 2 players) 7:spade:

Hero shows A:diamond: A:heart: (Two Pair, Aces and Jacks)
(Pre 81%, Flop 87%, Turn 77%)
BTN shows K:spade: K:club: (Flush, King High)
(Pre 19%, Flop 13%, Turn 23%)
BTN wins 31.91 BB

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
With KingKong your hand is probably the best hand, when you go all in against A2-K you win about 70%, against 22-QQ you win about 80%, against random hands I guess about 90%, rarely the villain will have AA and when he has it, are you able to detect it? Fold preflop with KK is extremely rare, though in especific situations that action can happen.

Hey all

what do you guys think?

supernuts25

supernuts25

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well playing for a couple hours and being big stacked almost seems like a big risk , when u don't even have to take that risk, and another big stack probably isn't raising u all in with qq jj ,. so one bad flop for your whole tourney, idk obviously i don't fold it often and that's why i actually started this thread cause i didn't fold it and I'm not sure i should have called all my chips, any ways thank guys i was just curious what your thoughts were

Last edited:
supernuts25

supernuts25

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
re

Sorry but I think your name is fitting.

Come on people.... learn how to do the math. There's some (many) comments in this thread that are inspiring me to fire up a few dozen tourneys instead of going back to work right now. I just hope you guys are going back to work today too, so there'll be plenty of deposits happening for this weekend's games.

... see you there while I'm getting you to fold your KK with my 5 high busted straight draw. 'gg'

" CLASSY " no one is talking about folding to five high , or even asking about after pre flop, and I'm sure your not bluffing chip leader with 5 high pre flop, or maybe you are idk.
:aetsch: :sheep:

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey all

what do you guys think?

You gotta put your money in with Kings, you would win 80% of the time with that hand.

P

Peter Jankowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KK I generally call I very late in MTT and the Player who went all in is very, very tight I will fold, but rarely its just an unlucky streak you are on.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
" CLASSY " no one is talking about folding to five high , or even asking about after pre flop, and I'm sure your not bluffing chip leader with 5 high pre flop, or maybe you are idk.
:aetsch: :sheep:

You've missed my point about the 'folding to 5 high'. It's actually kind of important & relative. Think it over. (or not). Seriously.

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually if I fold the KK it turns out to be a winner. But then there are times like last week when I had KK and went in against a guy with AK offsuit. The flop showed AA5 so once again I was out of a tournament. Such is poker !

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ofcors it juste to play properly and is god in middle and late level of tournaments.......

carli

carli

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have no luck with kk. I've been out of the tournament for many times because of them.

Filip Krstevski

Filip Krstevski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That really depends on your position on the tournament, also depends on your stack and on your position on the table. But folding a KK pre-flop is not a good move (i think). It is better to only pay his raise (if u think that KK will lose your hand) and see what flop brings, and play your game. But so far pre-flop ALL IN with KK i won like 90% of the hands. Good luck but KK has a big % of winning the hand.

D

darpblog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In tournaments, it's just bad to assume people have aces. With less than 100bb people will be shoving 10+ AQ+ even worse with the smaller stacks. If they happen to have AA you were just unlucky. It sucks, but results shouldn't deter you from making a good play.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I try my best not to put all my chips in the middle with only two cards, I want to see a flop.

You really need to separate a tournament from cash games.

In a cash game I'm going to certainly try to get all my chips in with AA or KK preflop. I can rebuy.

In a tournament you are on the rail when you bust. Even in the best situation where its pair over pair you are going to usually win (over the long haul) 80% of the time. This means you ARE GOING TO LOSE 1 out of 5. After seeing the flop you have a much better assessment of where you are at.

Personally, I still find it a fascinating game, as most of the key decisions are made post-flop. That's fun for me. Call me crazy, but I like to see more than just two cards before all of my money goes into a pot! Daniel Negreanu

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never folding KK preflop if they have AA so be it.