MP1: 132,736 (55.3 bb)
MP2: 52,726 (22 bb)
Hero (MP3): 71,948 (30 bb)
CO: 45,546 (19 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K
spade.gif
K
diamond.gif

2 folds, MP1 calls 2,400, MP2 folds, Hero raises to 9,600, 4 folds, MP1 calls 7,200

Flop: (25,500) A
spade.gif
diamond.gif
spade.gif
(2 players)
MP1 checks, Hero checks

Turn: (25,500) 7
heart.gif
(2 players)
MP1 bets 26,400, Hero calls 26,400

River: (78,300) 9
spade.gif
(2 players)
MP1 bets 96,436 and is all-in, Hero ???

1. Clear fold?
2. Any other way you would play the hand?
3. What is your strategy in general with KK when you see A on the flop?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Unfortunately when there is an A on the flop, the best you can do is Cbet strong to probe whether your opponent has an A. Any other approach leaves you highly exploitable or gives free cards to complete your villain's draws. On this board I can't see you calling. Too many Ax in your opponent's range if not a set or a straight. Your kings are only good for catching bluffs and not worth finding out in this MTT unless you have a cheap rebuy available.

Jezdic

Jezdic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and I always happens that the flop is A, when I have pocket kings. bad luck

maezma

maezma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By what type of bet your opponent made after the "check" I would assume he was playing with an ace and a low Kiker or a flush project that he completed with the river card. I lean more for the first option.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I am in this situation where I do not have a clear reading of the opponent, I always think it's better to fold the hand than lose all my stack, just one observation you should have made a CBet on the flop so that the opponent does not think that the A is scary and to see the movement of your opponent after your bet on the flop

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
I think you should have made a strong bet on the Flop to measure the villain's strength.

Maybe he had QQ but when you did chek on the flop you left the door open for him to take over the whole game, considering your position at the table.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
The preflop raise of the opponent should give you thought because the flop hit A! ..... but I, one with KK after the flop, would have bet X pot.

A

AngelBLR_Poker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If KK And I see on the table A, fold it, this is not just about burned

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you should have made a strong bet on the Flop to measure the villain's strength.

Maybe he had QQ but when you did chek on the flop you left the door open for him to take over the whole game, considering your position at the table.

Exactly! You are in position, you have all the good AX hands there (AK, AQ) so a c-bet is a must. I mean the way you played, it seems obvious you had a pocket pair or in the worst case KQs.
Although I wouldnt say Villain can have QQ there, he can easily have TT or 88 or something similar and is trying to chase you off of some pairs that arent A. Considering how you played, you can not put opponent on an A, bluff or some semi-bluffs (smaller pocket pairs), so you either fold, or call knowing you got yourself in this spot.

Also, in case you made a bet on the flop, and got called on the turn, then the turn is most probably a check-check, villain makes a bet on the river and now u can say he has an A and u fold.
In case villain had a smaller pocket pair, he probably has to check turn and river after your C-bet flop

C

Cloxy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would make a comfortable cont. bets in all streets and fold on raises. It seems that villian has gotten the flush or sits with Ax hand so it is easy fold I think )))

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
I agree with atleast 3 others who have replied that you should have bet atleast 9600 on flop.
That would have given you a clear picture, if reraised Fold.

Thats my 2 cents on this hand
Thanks
Manoj
Bluffzone68

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A C-bet is certainly the way to go here. But not just to test your opponents strength but also to pot control. If he check raises you fold but given the way the hand played out I'm guessing he just calls your c-bet. This is where the control comes in.....he will most likely check the turn so you check back and go to the river. If he plays the same all-in bet you fold and you save a few chips. If he checks you simply check back.

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was unlucky enough to get pocket kings 3 times yesterday in 3 different freerolls at different sites. I lost all three times to AKo. The first 2 times I went all in and AK hit an A on the flop and the hands run out AA vsKK. So third time I raised 4x BB from CO. SB called. Flop was small cards. SB bet 1 BB and only had 5 or 6 BB left so I raised him 6 BB. He called A hit on the Turn and I lost again. So I am rereading all the comments on this post and Im going to read this again.
http://jonathanlittlepoker.com/foldkingspreflop/

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would assume they have the ace and fold. Very bad luck.

T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As played I'm folding river after he overbets the turn. Sure seems like he has something beeter than 1 pair here imo. The only way I could make a call is if there was some dynamic involved that you haven't mentioned like you're on the bubble and he's been pushing people around both preflop and postflop or he's just someone who bets nonstop.

A C-bet is certainly the way to go here. But not just to test your opponents strength but also to pot control. If he check raises you fold but given the way the hand played out I'm guessing he just calls your c-bet. This is where the control comes in.....he will most likely check the turn so you check back and go to the river. If he plays the same all-in bet you fold and you save a few chips. If he checks you simply check back.

This would be my ideal line too with one minor exception... 60% pot on the flop, check back turn, but if he checks river I am pretty confident in throwing out a 3rd pot vbet on the river and folding if he comes over the top.

P

pendzlik

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The opponent's bet on the turn is too high, so it’s best to save chips and fold. Very often the aggression will continue. And we can not continue. Especially since we are playing against the fish.

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 9 Players

BTN: 95,979 (40 bb)
SB: 33,522 (14 bb)
BB: 30,327 (12.6 bb)
UTG+1: 86,059 (35.9 bb)
UTG+2: 33,991 (14.2 bb)

spade.gif
K
diamond.gif

2 folds, MP1 calls 2,400, MP2 folds, Hero raises to 9,600, 4 folds, MP1 calls 7,200

spade.gif
diamond.gif
spade.gif
(2 players)
MP1 checks, Hero checks

heart.gif
(2 players)

spade.gif
(2 players)

1. Clear fold?

Well, everything got there, huh?

I think you missed the cbet in position on the flop where you could have obtained some information. Now you're stuck calling off on the turn to hand hand you have little idea about other than your gut telling you "he has to have an ace here, right?".

Truth is, after you checked the flop and check-called the turn, he either has it or reads you as weak enough to muck your hand. A bet on the flop would have made something like AxJx to timid to continue betting and AxKx or Qs,9s might have let you know how strong he was. It certainly would have narrowed his range a bit and might have made your decision a little easier.

When they talk about tight-aggressive play they mean don't take your foot off the gas on that flop. I'm not saying tight-aggressive means kamikaze into that flop, but going passive on that flop was probably the mistake that put you in such bad shape. You had position and it could have been you making them afraid of that board. At least that way if you were beat you would probably be pretty sure of it.

Sorry to be such a wet blanket. If I'm trying to be optimistic and make you feel better, I'd say that you had to muck in that spot and that there was no way KK was winning that hand at any point. You dodged one and lost the minimum. ...Although we'll never know for sure.

Edit-It looks like in the time it took me to give my opinion some other opinions that I agree with best me to the post. Sorry if my post ends up repetitive.

Last edited:
X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 9 Players

BTN: 95,979 (40 bb)
SB: 33,522 (14 bb)
BB: 30,327 (12.6 bb)
UTG+1: 86,059 (35.9 bb)
UTG+2: 33,991 (14.2 bb)

spade.gif
K
diamond.gif

spade.gif
diamond.gif
spade.gif
(2 players)
MP1 checks, Hero checks

heart.gif
(2 players)

spade.gif
(2 players)

1. Clear fold?

I would say that the line you took makes it a clear fold. But having been the preflop raiser, I would've bet on the flop to rep that ace and if he called, I still have position so I would get to see what happens on the next street. That's my general strat with kings when I see an A on the flop. Keep it simple.

O

ozaloa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The preflop raise of the opponent should give you thought because the flop hit A! ..... but I, one with KK after the flop, would have bet X pot.

Comirrr,the opponent is just limping in,not raising preflop and he is calling the HERO's raise.And i agree with you about the CBET postflop

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Calm

I would not call, the villain would do it with A9 55 77 9 and any other card, I think the hero was losing that hand, with A on the flop when you have a pair but he did not get better on the flop play calmly and the villain would only bet so strong with cards that are in front of the KK or one wanting to represent that he had the 9, I think he had a game that was winning from KK if you did not have much information from the villain the best choice would be to fold, but if you knew that the villain is a dude that bluff much you should call the bet.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
This has happened to me several times, most of the time I have folded without hesitation, but in the others I have bet because I have followed my instinct, fortunately I have been victorious in those opportunities, I do not have a strategy in specific, I just try to have be careful and follow my instinct, and when you see an A on the flop it may be a bit obvious that someone has an A in hand so you have to be very careful, many times I try to press a little before the flop, but it depends on the opponents you have on my table

O

ozaloa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think MP1 has a very strong hand, can be something like A2s-A9s or a small pocket pair between 22-88.So we have the Ace of spades on the board and King of spades in our hand,so we are blocking his nuts flush.But he may still have an Ace, as being aggresive preflop i would definitely cbet postflop to find out if my opponent has something to go for and my bet would be like half of the pot which is 12.750,not too small and not too big.Because most of the players will call a small bet even if they don't have an Ace.And him calling my half pot bet would give me the information i need.But at least i can still represent both the Ace with a better kicker than his range i mentioned above and the flush draw for having King of spades.So now the pot is 50.100 and i still have 49.598 behind.After calling my medium bet,he would probably check again on the turn and i could check back as i have the position advantage.On the river he would have 2 options; check again which makes sense as the flush draw got there or bluff bet by shoving.I believe we are still ahead,because if he had a better hand,he would probably check raise us on the flop if we had Cbet and he doesn't have the nuts flush,so if he checks we would also have 2 options.Check back as our hand has a strong showdown equity or shove to represent the completed flush or a better Ace.But if he shoves,then i would mostly call considering his range and if we shove after him checking the river,we would possibly get a fold,or get called by a worse pocket pair i believe.Even if i lose, that would be my right play and i wouldn't feel regretful for not playing differently. Either way i would try to control the pot for not being very sure about putting him on an Ace.Because sometimes people call you even with crap kicker.Not because they read you well but because most of the people don't fold Aces easily regardless of the kicker.Sorry for taking your time and explaining so long but just tried to explain the possibilities in a multiple way.Thank you and good luck to everyone.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As played, I believe river is a fold versus decent regulars. Losing to Ax and flushes by the river.

Villain could have a lot of ace rags in their range.

Red0nkulousAK

Red0nkulousAK

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just C-Bet and if they play back then chances are high they have the A or at the very least a flush draw. Either way in that hand you're screwed.

RagNar87

RagNar87

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
i was on this situation and i can't fold KK man i just can't