KJ on a good or bad MTT hand?

schon1958

schon1958

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello friends, I wonder how many times you have played a poker hand in a mtt tournament with your KJ cards! My experience makes me recognize that in a very bad hand since in 80% of the times I play with KJ I have almost never lost one of those cards on the table in community cards.

What do you think of KJ hand how do you play these cards! is this hand bad?

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KJ can't be a bad hand) This is not a top hand, but not a weak one) it is a gross mistake to speak poorly on this hand) I often see K or J on the table. I see a lot of players playing the K2 hand+ if K2 is playing successfully, then KJ is very attractive to play) Do not forget the main thing, which cards are on the table, who is playing against you, if you play correctly, (maybe bluff)), KJ turns into a very nice game) A lot of players play A2+ and when QT is on the table, you have a great chance) the opponents are waiting for the top pair and A on the table, and then you get a straight, it's great! :)

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KJ is a good hand. I'm wary of an ace on the flop, but otherwise I'm not worried about this hand. If you often encounter very tight players and lose by kicker, then don't overestimate the strength of your hand and don't invest much.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This hand is above average. Basically, this is a normal hand to call if there is a call but no one has raised. If everyone folds, you can even raise.

tuku222

tuku222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good hand ... if they are of the same suit better! more chances !!! you have to test the odds ...

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not a huge fan of KJo because of it's potential to be outkicked on both cards, and the fact that the 2 pair is often dangerous because of how popular the broadway straight will be.

That said, it will still have a high win rate and can often be played, albeit with caution.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Easily dominated.

Nicknamed 'rookie hand' for a reason...

2c

:icon_thum

KeyJey

KeyJey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KJ is a good hand. But in my experience I lost about 70% of cases with such cards. I think they deserve only a call. You should not raise with such cards.

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
It's true that it's a tricky starting hand and sometimes you might be in serious trouble because of the kicker but I would say that anyone that doesn't play KJ from a decent position(open or call an open) is just too nitty for the way poker is played ATM (especially online)...

GL all at the tables and stay safe!

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
KQ, KJ, and KT are best played from position. Never open these in EP/MP, unless you are a very strong post flop player. They hold up suited much better than off suit.

Recently I got dealt KT three times in a row. First time on SB I folded to a 3bet from the button. Flop was KKT :( and button won the hand with AA. I could have made a fortune. Next I raised from the button and won with a Cbet on a flopped Axx. Next I raised from CO and won a fair pot with 2 pair.

Just play them carefully when facing strong opposition. They are often 2nd best hand, and that's where we can lose our whole stack.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to play a hand like KJ carefully and generally in position. I will fold in EP if there are bigger stacks and some LAGs yet to act. If the table is somewhat on the passive side I will play KJ in any position. If first in I'll raise but will only call if someone raises ahead of me. And, like any hand, once the flop hits you need to re-evaluate.

Pufik

Pufik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this hand is not bets but not even worst. Lot of depends on situation. if EP open 3x and MP 3bet him, then you should most of the time fold because, there is someone who has stronger hand. On the otherside if you are button and nobody open raise before you, you can open this hand. another thing that matters is how deep you and your enemy are, how big is effective stack on your table and many others things. But this is a basic, so study more about preflop game by position, what you should do if you have 100BB, 60BB or 20BB...

O

osvimanCC

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should probably review some opening ranges charts because your problem could come by the position you're playing this hand.

KJo never should be played from UTG, but it's a really good hand when you're IP.

:9h4: :9s4:

Alex_Ogienko

Alex_Ogienko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How to play KJ depends on the stage of the tournament. in the middle and late stages, this hand can be played aggressively, especially in position.

lattedank

lattedank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The stronger the position, the stronger the hand. I raise with this hand a lot in late position if no one opened before me. If someone re raises me, most of the times I fold.

F

fourroses

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think KJ is not a so good hand ,because many players play KQ or A.. ,when you not hit the J and when you hit the K you often loose a much ,because an other player have KQ or AK and when you hit nothing is eathe A better

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
KJ is for sure above average hand that is playable depending on your chip stack, position at the table, action happened to which variables then you modify your play with that hand.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on how you play your hand. At what stage and how aggressive or passive. This hand is stronger than many hands at the table.

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like this hand under the gun. It plays very bad in a raised pot from early position. If suited I might call to take a flop. It is normally dominated if you are playing against tight aggressive players.
But if no one opens in late position I will open.

MusterIsBack

MusterIsBack

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just look at this Fact:
KJs = 33%
Q9o = 6%
QJs = 19%
A9o = 41%
I chose three relatively good hands.
With such good hands, you have a 32% chance of winning with math logic. So what do you think?

Attachments

• KJs.jpg
    KJs.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 13

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KJs has about 30% equity against the super tight range, 34% against the tight range, and just under 50% against the opponent's loose range.

If you consider that in MTT the criteria for hands are lower, especially in the later stages, KJ turns into a strong hand. It may not be suitable for a call raise, but it is quite suitable for an open raise and 3 bet.

But of course in poker, the cards in your hands never decide everything, there are too many factors that are also very important, such as the position, the reputation of the players, your reputation and metagame.:)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
is kj a good or bad mtt hand?

simple answer: yes.

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
excluding AA, KK or QQ there is no good or bad hand... there are just good or bad moments to play them.

TheSeaWizard

TheSeaWizard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hands like KQ, KJ and QJ become premium hands the moment you flop top pair with them. Few hands can beat your KJ if the flop comes something like J68 rainbow. On a Jack-high flop, you lose only to pocket Aces to Queens or AJ or a set if you have KJ. If the flop comes K68, you are losing only to Aces, Kings, a set or a kicker higher than a Jack.

M

Mariadelaluz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It´s a good hand to attack. But, it´s not to receive other ones´all-in or over bet like 5bb.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands