keep a player paying or forcing them to fold?

DonJoaoPEDRO17

DonJoaoPEDRO17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is worth playing with a reasonable hand on a wet board and with reading your opponent's range you can see that he still has a hand lower than yours, but there is still the doubt ... pot betting skill counts at this time? experience counts? what variables should I invest in (study) to avoid entering into certain situations? and when you enter, only the fold saves?

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The important thing here is reading the flop textures

A dry board means something like [Jc 7h 2d] on the flop. On this kind of board if you have AJ then it's highly likely that you have the best hand. Unless your opponent is tight and made a strong 3Bet preflop in which case QQ+ is possible. But you can allow a free card on this board safely enough if you think a bet will make your opponent fold too often. If you think they will call with any hand then you can bet more often on dry boards for value. On a wet flop like [Qh Jc 8h] it's a different story, you need to charge them the maximum to try and draw to straights/flushes. 3/4 Pot to Pot sized bets are enough to make most draws incorrect, but they might continue with implied odds if they think you'll pay them off on a later street. Either way, a bet is in order. The board is too dangerous to play passively. You actually want him to call you because he will be making a mistake doing so. Sure, sometimes he might complete his draw on the turn/river and stack you, but about 2/3rds - half of the time he won't (Depending on how strong his draw is). So if he keeps calling your equity denial bets he will lose chips in the long run. The answer is YES. It is worth playing with a reasonable hand on wet boards if you think your hand is ahead of his range. Just remember on dry boards, you can bet less and allow more free cards (You want them to stay in the pot and hit a second best hand). But when the board is dangerous, charge them the maximum to outdraw you. R

Last edited:
elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that on certain occasions it may be valid as a strategy to force a situation and make your opponent fold, but in the long run this may end up leaving you a bit predictable, and you may lose many chips against the most profitable players, or against players who they pay a lot with any hands.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

A dry board means something like [Jc 7h 2d] on the flop. On this kind of board if you have AJ then it's highly likely that you have the best hand. Unless your opponent is tight and made a strong 3Bet preflop in which case QQ+ is possible. But you can allow a free card on this board safely enough if you think a bet will make your opponent fold too often. If you think they will call with any hand then you can bet more often on dry boards for value. On a wet flop like [Qh Jc 8h] it's a different story, you need to charge them the maximum to try and draw to straights/flushes. 3/4 Pot to Pot sized bets are enough to make most draws incorrect, but they might continue with implied odds if they think you'll pay them off on a later street. Either way, a bet is in order. The board is too dangerous to play passively. You actually want him to call you because he will be making a mistake doing so. Sure, sometimes he might complete his draw on the turn/river and stack you, but about 2/3rds - half of the time he won't (Depending on how strong his draw is). So if he keeps calling your equity denial bets he will lose chips in the long run. The answer is YES. It is worth playing with a reasonable hand on wet boards if you think your hand is ahead of his range. Just remember on dry boards, you can bet less and allow more free cards (You want them to stay in the pot and hit a second best hand). But when the board is dangerous, charge them the maximum to outdraw you. R

Very well said. I would add that position really kicks in here, on that particular QhJc8h board, being OOP with a AQ is not a good spot to be aggressive - reason is, in case you get shoved (on this particular flop) your opponent most likely has a better hand then you, or have a drawing hand like a nut flush, either way it is very hard for you to call, as much as it is hard to fold TPTK.
My best advice would be to mix things up a bit, it is also beneficial in terms of range your opponents can put you on.

P.S. I have seen several of your recent posts Ragequit, and they are quite good, but due to how long they are, hard to focus on and hard to read them all the way. I am sorry if I am out of line here, but would be much appreciated if you could write in several paragraphs, as it would be easier to read them :D

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks Bozo, yeah I've been looking over them myself. They do need some more paragraphs. Just lazy typing :)

J

janisromanov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now i play bounty and i go all in with AA. I have bad bit with 10 10 . Total random

DonJoaoPEDRO17

DonJoaoPEDRO17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

you answer it was very important! thanks!!! ;):D;)

DonJoaoPEDRO17

DonJoaoPEDRO17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now i play bounty and i go all in with AA. I have bad bit with 10 10 . Total random

with this comment i remembered the national tournament of heads-up where Tom Dwan with 10 10 Beat Phil Hellmuth with AA, very shapely the reaction of Phil kkkkk :fight: :thumpdown :D

DonJoaoPEDRO17

DonJoaoPEDRO17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very well said. I would add that position really kicks in here, on that particular QhJc8h board, being OOP with a AQ is not a good spot to be aggressive - reason is, in case you get shoved (on this particular flop) your opponent most likely has a better hand then you, or have a drawing hand like a nut flush, either way it is very hard for you to call, as much as it is hard to fold TPTK.
My best advice would be to mix things up a bit, it is also beneficial in terms of range your opponents can put you on.

P.S. I have seen several of your recent posts Ragequit, and they are quite good, but due to how long they are, hard to focus on and hard to read them all the way. I am sorry if I am out of line here, but would be much appreciated if you could write in several paragraphs, as it would be easier to read them :D

Yes yes!!! good comment you made on what the colleague said! :D

DonJoaoPEDRO17

DonJoaoPEDRO17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that on certain occasions it may be valid as a strategy to force a situation and make your opponent fold, but in the long run this may end up leaving you a bit predictable, and you may lose many chips against the most profitable players, or against players who they pay a lot with any hands.

That you said was very clear! really you can not leave a mechanical game, it has to vary exactly by what you said: predictability! :D

Folding in Poker