Jumping into a late registration tournament.

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Tournaments are lonnnnnng and in many cases turn into a minimum wage return on time invested. My game has been improving and I'm making it to the final table from a cast of many hundreds to a few thousand..these are low stakes obviously. In the bigger games I'm entering late registration near the point where 4 levels are left before the cut-off on ACR. I've made some cashes and a few final tables also with luck being a factor.

Does anyone have consistent success jumping into the later stages of an established game and at what entry fee does this become prohibitive?

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also use this technique in playing long tournaments! I believe that at the time when I go into a tournament, a fish dropped out of the game! Similarly, many middle level players started to get tired and substandard play your starting hands! Tired players tend to take riskier card draws, which gives me an edge over them! Especially this is bad for game when passed 5 hours of the game, and for me this only 3 hour of the game! I used this tactic when playing in a 109-dollar tournament, I won the ticket thanks to the Freeroll club СС !

nopainnogain

nopainnogain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To tell you the truth I like to participate of these type of tourney since the begining,it's not usual for me jumping into a late registration because most of the times the difference betwen my stack and the high stacks are enormous!
But if you found a way to quit some hours congrats for you.keep going.

Last edited:
monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the one hand, late entry into the game is good, as already said above .. the fish has already flown out and the average hands are already getting tired ..))
On the other hand - you lose two hours of fun playing poker ...)
But if it brings a result - then good luck to you and more ..))
:captain:

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not like late registration in tournaments. At late registration your stack is already below average, and it's a bit annoying. I think that tournaments should be played from the very beginning, because it allows you to increase your stack due to weak players.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not a fan of entering late, fish tend to be the players that leave first and if you show up late a lot of the fish will already be eaten.

frankthebunny

frankthebunny

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I enter late and don't get any good hands to play I tend to get blinded out.

_420_420_

_420_420_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Sometimes, definitely not in rebuy games, but in some of those games with like 5 hours of late reg... it can be good to join late and try to get lucky
Gotta wait for premium hands though.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never mind joining late. This is especially true in a deep stack tournament, one with slow blinds, or large fields. It becomes too easy to leak chips early with marginal hands playing small pots. I'd much rather play big pot poker and only face 2/3rds of the field. Less time and that much closer to the money.

Nikka18

Nikka18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You know at times I do the same thing. Lol. Because tournaments can be really long. So sometime I go in after an hour of it being started.
And yes I make a good return when I do at times. And sometimes I don't

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I hate long late reg periods too and this is always a struggle for me. When I register at the start and take my time building up a stack, I suddenly hit a patch of run bad and end up back at starting stack or busted. On the other hand, when I register too late, either I'll get lucky within a few hands and double up or just.blind down due to being short.

It all depends what stack depth you feel comfortable with, or on what starting stack will be (how many BBs). In MTTs with deep stacks and slow structures, no need to sit through all 3-5 hours of late reg (on ACR). My happy medium is starting about 75 BBs, so I can skip 1-2 hours of the late reg.

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always try to register in the time before starting the tournament, but it does not mean that I do not register late as well. I prefer to start with the same stack as most of the later ones and have a stack two or three times smaller than the average. which would undermine my claims to win the tournament

Filip Krstevski

Filip Krstevski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jumping into late registration really depends on what tourney you jump and on what blind. So if you thinking about entering late registration tourney, first check the level of blinds and the buy in chips. Calculate it and than jump in :) Its worth on certain stages of the tourney. Good luck broski!

G

gabethegimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have long blind levels, you're better off taking advantage of the early play to build up a mid game stack. Those fish everybody is speaking about are the ones you should be targeting. You can get a solid stack going within the first two levels and can pretty much coast and wait for premiums till close to the button.

Success in long MTT's is all about getting as many chips as you can and, you can easily get about 1/3 of your bubble stack from the first 1-4 levels. Don't skip out on them, you're only hurting yourself long term.

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes i do that too.

You can enter next to the end of the tournament registration period. But tournaments that have faster structure are complicated, you will have lost a lot of action and may be in situations where you will not have many chips to play comfortably.

If it is a fast structure tournament with addon, you can enter the end of the registration period by taking double the chips and paying the addon, so you will have enough chips to play the game properly.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Look at two things before you press register button what is starting stack and what are the blinds currently at buying in with less than 20 blinds a bad idea less 10 blinds a disaster good luck

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have tried many times to go to late registration and for me it's not the best variant for the game because the blinds are big compared to your stack and you ostaetsja only one game push / fold in which everything is decided by luck, so I prefer to play tournaments from the start which solves all your skill of playing poker.

M

Mateo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like late registration when the period is short (up to 4 blind levels). More than that and it becomes psh of shove immediately which I don't like as much.

D

darpblog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do better when I play form the beginning, lots of fish to prey upon in microstakes, at least in 888. When I enter late I feel there are more scenarios where I have to flip, so it's more of a hit or miss for me.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my 16 years of playing online poker, I don't think I have waited until close to the end of late registeration to enter a MTT. I've always looked at it like I need the early levels to build my stack.