Joining a tournament late.. What's too late

mercyscercy

mercyscercy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Curious what everybody's thoughts are on playing a tournament but starting 45 minutes after it started and 15 minutes remaining until registration ends. obviously you will be joining with a limited amount of chips compared to the size of the blinds when you start. obviously you wouldn't want to start a tournament so late that you have 10,000 chips starting and the blinds are 1,000-2,000.. but I'm curious if you are starting with 10,000 chips what's the latest you'll play? 200 - 400... 300 - 600... 500 - 1,000... what's everybody's thoughts? Also maybe if they have add on break if that affects your decision?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for me, 'too late' is if i miss the late registration.

i late register into all of my games. usually 20-25 bbs starting, but i've bought in as low as 5 bbs before.

if there is an add-on, its even better. i buy in during the add-on break and take the add-on.

L

Lina1020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not a good idea to be register late to the hyper-turbo and turbo tournaments because the blinds are rising very quickly so there's not much chance unless you're lucky and you get good cards. For normal or slow tournaments, it is better to register late.

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to go to the late registration there is no nonsense to work out you need to make only the right decision.

christmasscorpion

christmasscorpion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you see the fewer blinds we have left the more variance affects the game in the tournament and the more poker tournaments we need to play to reach the final table

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
15-20bb is good for me. I'm mostly losing rather than gaining chips if I register too early.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Joining in the last minute/second of late reg may considered too late then. Or not ...

Olinosterfant

Olinosterfant

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there is no add-on available i would say to have at least 25+ big blinds when registering.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The number of big blinds that I’m willing to buyin for varies greatly based on the buyin.

For tourneys well below my average buyin, I’m sometimes okay with playing for as little as around 20 bbs, but for tourneys at the top of my buyin range It would be very unusual for me to start late-especially since I often base my whole day around playing them!

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Some rooms, like ACR, have excessively long late reg. periods, so I always late reg with them otherwise the tourney is too long for me, I really get too tired

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually, I like to start playing from the beginning. I don't like to join a tournament after it starts unless there is an urgent need.

F

Freepokerfree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Giving an opinion .... it will depend on the circumstance 10bb stops me very little 20bb is a little more comfortable, from there upwards. Then how much is left to get to the money, sometimes there are many eliminated and the money is next, I think that very rarely does this happen.
Thanks for letting me comment!:D

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's too late when your starting stack is less the 20 bbs.

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
For slow and normal tournaments there is no problem, with late registration, for hyper turbo tournaments it is not recommended the blinds increase very fast and they will eat you if you register too late ...

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I normally do not play when there is more then 30 min late registration, just not worth it. I like CC tournaments, very seldom do they have late registration.

pedrovitorcosta

pedrovitorcosta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Turbo tournaments i dont like to get late reg.... in normal, until the add on is good to join

F

FluDhs

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My priority is always to enter early but i can enter with 10bb on late reg also. It depends on my willing to play the tournament

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Sometimes I join tournaments during late registration. I do not see anything wrong with that. I have had cases where I even went to the final table in tournaments, where I registered at a late stage.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Blinds

I don't mind starting a tournament late. However, I don't like joining a tournament with hardly any big blinds left. I don't want to have to go all-in with just any starting hand and hope to hit bingo.

J

Jim_Saras

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it's a good idea to join late. The sooner you join the more hands you'll play so the more chances you have to win.

sequoia

sequoia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
200-400 or even earlier, i don't like to join when majority has big stack and i have less than 25bb.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I look at two things - how many bb's will I have when I get seated, and how far away the average stack is.

I believe we should play poker when we think we have an advantage. We have no advantage when we are short stacked. When short stacked, our entire buy-in is subject to the quality of the cards we receive - I call this BINGO poker. If we do not have enough chips to actually play poker (bet, raise, check-raise, call, etc,) and have voluntarily reduced our game to shove or fold, then we can't even use whatever poker skill we do have.

bb's: I need at least 25bb's in order to have some chip utility available to still play poker.
avg stack: I want the avg stack to be no more than 2x my stack when I sit down. This means I can have the average stack with a single double up. Anything worse than this puts me at a disadvantage against the average stacks at the table.

Good luck and God bless.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Too late in my opinion is when you don't have enough chips to play. Its basically a shove or fold situation.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Too late in my opinion is when you don't have enough chips to play. Its basically a shove or fold situation.
every stack size is a shove or fold situation if you're brave enough.