JJ in MP3 position

1putnik

1putnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Few days ago playing in freeroll I had so situation : I was in mp3 position and get pocket Jacks, my stack was 14bb, BB had that same stack, all others middle or short-stacked. There was no calls or raises befor me so I decided to raise in 3bb, CO and Button was folded, MB call it with all his chips and to my surprise BB goes all-in with his 13bb..At that moment remains about 400 players in tournament (of 25k) and chipleader of tourney had about 30bb chips. After long-long thinking I fold out my JJ. How do you think did I right or wrong in those situation?:confused::confused::confused: Later I'll write what cards were opened BB...

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pocket jacks will be a strong contender to win at showdown, but if BB surprised You (You were familiar with his game!) that was the right move

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The player who entered the third with all the chips - must have a strong hand, if he is not a crazy maniac. You could win, you could lose, but there's no point in making decisions blind, not seeing at least the flop.

The only mistake is to immediately put all-in, and not 3BB. A pair of jacks is a good card for 14 BB. And if at the table a lot of short, you can accept widely, with worse cards. Or you just take the bank.

Last edited:
M

McDrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I put BB on strong Ace or pocket KK it was a good fold.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jam preflop with JJ and 14 BBs.

Raise/folding here is pretty darn silly with such a short stack. If you're going to fold to a 3bet here, then just fold it preflop. Raising with the intent of calling a shove is fine as well, but I'd rather be the one jamming.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think folding in this situation was the right decision! It was not worth the risk. Definitely I would have played the same!

sanych

sanych

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this situation, I would also fold, I think it's true

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jam preflop with JJ and 14 BBs.

Raise/folding here is pretty darn silly with such a short stack. If you're going to fold to a 3bet here, then just fold it preflop. Raising with the intent of calling a shove is fine as well, but I'd rather be the one jamming.
Thats true and Agree...I think that player on bb could even squezze you ...

M

Mike D_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After long-long thinking I fold out my JJ. How do you think did I right or wrong in those situation?:confused::confused::confused: Later I'll write what cards were opened BB...

I think he was pushing with a pair, maybe 88 or 99 or even TT

DuffMcGruff

DuffMcGruff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I might agree with your play here if you weren't so short stacked. If the game was deep I would understand this fold, but at 14bb this is an automatic jam. JJ is definitely strong enough to push here short stacked. Folding to another short stacks push was a mistake, being short stacked his push range was wide, maybe pushing with any ace and low pairs.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
That's why some times is better to be the aggressor in order to avoid such marginal situations and decisions. I know is a freeroll but with JJ there and 14bbs I would probably had shoved.

Since you decided to open raise pre and you had a squeeze it seems you were on a coinflip with another player behind you to act. BB may had pocket pairs 88+ or even any Ax I really don't know due to the lack of information.I may have called there.

psmcb

psmcb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think

Few days ago playing in freeroll I had so situation : I was in mp3 position and get pocket Jacks, my stack was 14bb, BB had that same stack, all others middle or short-stacked. There was no calls or raises befor me so I decided to raise in 3bb, CO and Button was folded, MB call it with all his chips and to my surprise BB goes all-in with his 13bb..At that moment remains about 400 players in tournament (of 25k) and chipleader of tourney had about 30bb chips. After long-long thinking I fold out my JJ. How do you think did I right or wrong in those situation?:confused::confused::confused: Later I'll write what cards were opened BB...

You did good, did everything right, better not to go all-in being unsure of victory, he could be AA,QQ,KK,AKs,AQs,AKo,AQo. In the end you won?

L

leon_fush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The decision was kanechno correct with such aggression to throw off the most powerful hand, but considering that it was a freeroll nedumayu that there was a monster AA or KK, I think there was a smaller pair ... although everything can be in freerolls and he decided to hide his hand so. We are waiting for the continuation of the story.

prox

prox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

It was a good fold for you. On the bubble, do not go all in. It's better to wait for the monster. :)

GRANDPAPA929

GRANDPAPA929

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your opponent was a smaller hand, and he risked bluffing.
You did the right thing JJ does not give full confidence in victory.

Senneville

Senneville

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ in utg 3 is if the pot is unraise you raise. If the pot is raise only 1 time you raise in this position.

If anybody reraise you are the decision to make to go allin with JJ !! dont think is a good or just fold. Pretty a bigger card will hit the board.

Foe sure you want to see a flop with this hand but at witch price?

Senneville

Senneville

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont forget to write the BB hand I'm curious

Lerts

Lerts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Two sides to this:
1st is, Considering it is a free roll and i do believe 50% of the contenders dont value free rolls i would say you possible could have had the better hand. Yes 3 overcards are beating you but he could have had a lower pocket and considering every one limp and your raise was only 3xbb he probably felt happy with shoving 77s+.
2nd is Considering that they are 400 remaining from 25k, and people are looking to climb up the pay ladder and looking to make the final couple tables he could have possible had a better had than yours are something like AQ+.
You would have had to take his playing style into account, what type of player he is, what are his ranges, his showdown ranges etc.

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think with JJ you should have made a higher raise to defend your pair and show that you have something strong.
When BB was allin, your decision to fold was correct, you had already opened the hand badly.
Being a freeroll players are too loose and maniacs, maybe he was with any Ax or low pair and any A on the board would exceed your hand, risking your life in the tournament.

Last edited:
1putnik

1putnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being confessed : to all-in from big-stack player I wasn't ready there. The bubble stage has long since passed and the game on the table had maniacally character, cause blinds were real high already, but still my game were tihtly, accept moment when I caught AA and go all-in. I wasn't afraid of AK, AQ or other overcards, I was misled by the fact that in previous hands, which I didn't play, on show-down players opening pocket pairs (3-4 players had pocket pairs from AA to 88:)) and that was not at once ( about 3 times during last 10 hands:eek:). But not about this now, the key word in my question is "freeroll" and don't miss that fact that who'll win that pot (if I'll gonna call it:cool:) became chipleader of torney and get great chances to enter high-prize zone.So, what would you like to do here : To call, or not to call?

J

Jacoval2010

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is not very good position MP3 to play the JJ but we must be cautious when defending our hand and know our opponents very well

B

bigjay2007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Minimum raises and hope to catch a flop. That is how i play JJ most of the time. Potentially rewarding but dangerous hand to be too aggressive with. JJ has the potential to tear your heart out LOL

prox

prox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being confessed : to all-in from big-stack player I wasn't ready there. The bubble stage has long since passed and the game on the table had maniacally character, cause blinds were real high already, but still my game were tihtly, accept moment when I caught AA and go all-in. I wasn't afraid of AK, AQ or other overcards, I was misled by the fact that in previous hands, which I didn't play, on show-down players opening pocket pairs (3-4 players had pocket pairs from AA to 88:)) and that was not at once ( about 3 times during last 10 hands:eek:). But not about this now, the key word in my question is "freeroll" and don't miss that fact that who'll win that pot (if I'll gonna call it:cool:) became chipleader of torney and get great chances to enter high-prize zone.So, what would you like to do here : To call, or not to call?

Well, what can I say? You're cool :D:cool:

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'm shoving pre with JJ and 14bb in that position

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raising JJ in middle position is standard, depending on what part the tournament you are in an all-in might be best

My opinion, almost close to 10bb with 14bb, I would go all in because statistically you would be a 2 to 1 favourite against any ace random or kj or kq.